Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've been checking out some car speakers at this website and i saw the above description for many speakers they have there.

i thought "5-way" speakers means there are a total of 5 speakers.. and "4-way" speakers meaning there are a total of 4 speakers.

but i'm getting this haunch this is wrong... the pictures only show two speakers but descrip. says it's "5-way"

so what does this mean?

if anyone can help, i'd really appreciate it ~

PS if anyone have recommendation for good speakers, please post it away~

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
if you look again you'll notice that a 4-way 6x9 has the 1-midbass speaker and 3-small tweeters on it. 5-way will just add 1 more tweeter. a good 3-way would be more than enough. once you start getting into 5-way, 6-way, and yes even 7-way :noo (pioneer) it's just another way to get you to spend more money. so the number is just how many "speakers" it has on it. hope this helps

Reactions: BPMagna

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks killer B i've repped you ~

anyone have any recommendation?

i want very clear "live" sound from my speakers. i'm not a big bass guy.. so i might not even get a sub

something comparable to Bose speakers would be nice :)

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Boston Acoustics, JL Audio, Focal, Polk all have amazing detail.....but the best thing to do is take your favorite CD and go to a local shop and listen to a few sets and see wich ones you like. i recommend a component set amplified for the sound you looking for. maybe even a single 8" or 10" sub in a sealed enclosure. thanks for the rep!

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
depends on how much money you got. give me a budget and i could maybe help you out. also don't get 6x9's please for the sake of sound quality. just screw the rears and get a nice set of components up front and amp them.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
^^^ he's right....in my car i have JL comp. and left the rears out....if your trying to make a sound stage you want it in front of you not behind you....rear speakers are just for a rear fill mostley designed for your rear passengers.....how often do you have people sittn' back there? spend the money on your front stage!

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for all in the inputs guys ~

right now i have a decent Alpine face deck and decent Clarion speakers front and back. though the speakers make only about 10 more watt than my oem honda speakers, they are holding up pretty well and i'm considering keeping them (well, the rear ones at least... yeah and i know it's not all about the watts when it comes to speakers ;) )

my budget is about $250~$300. like mister and killer mentioned, i'm really thinking about upgrading my front system. possibly... amp + tweeters?

so here's my question.. can i just get separate amp and tweeters and install them along with my current system? or is it better to throw out my two front speakers and get a whole component set for the front?

thanks ~

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Unless you know what you are doing you cant just add an tweeters and ampping it without a crossover. Even if you know what you are doing, just adding tweeters to a stock system is not a good idea.

To makes things easier, just buy a set of componets speakers and get a nice amp and call it a day.

I am a big fan of CDT Audio, Diamond Audio and Focal for the speakers. For some of the mainstream like, I like the Alpine Type X and JL's new ZR series speaker.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
me personally if i were going to with components it would probably be from these companies: rainbow, DLS, dynaudio, Seas Lotus, Boston Acoustics, hmm thats pretty much it.

Reactions: BPMagna

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
misterassman52 said:
me personally if i were going to with components it would probably be from these companies: rainbow, DLS, dynaudio, Seas Lotus, Boston Acoustics, hmm thats pretty much it.
Again, all great but all extremely overpriced. CDT, Elemental Designs, and Crossfire make awesome speakers for under 100 dollars.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
you mean overpriced by being more expensive? trust me if you are into car audio, these are the brands you would like to use when running your system. if you are just looking for something decent then yes those brands are expensive but saying its overpriced is kinda silly.

anyways to fit this guy's budget maybe a set of rainbow SLC 265.02 from speedsound.com for $289. or a set of DLS UP6 can be had on ebay for $300.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.