1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've seen 2 types,

ones that end up being hella dull...

and ones that look hella nice....

u know which one i am looking for...
cuz when it looks dull it looks like shit...

i want it to be shiney...and last forever...and on the red one...
NOT PINK!!! :D

· Registered
3,622 Posts
wall mart sells really good red tint spray paint i used it way back in the day... red not pink.... cheap too 2 bucks or so a can... 2 cans are good...

· Registered
274 Posts
I've used Krylon's Stained Glass spray paint a couple times to tint clear tails and altezza tails. It's kind of expensive ($5 for a can) but it doesn't look too bad. I've found it at a few hardware stores and some craft/hobby stores like Michaels.

But use light coats. It gets dark really quick. What I mean by that is that if you use too many coats your lights will look more like black outs than a red tint. Plus if you use clear coat with it you can get it VERY shiny.

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
how come u guys think $5 is too much???

they sell it for $20 at import shops...u know those JDM ones
so it's not worth it...

so i should get the $5 one and a can of clear coat...

tite...thanks...

i just want my tails like the Benz and SAABS u know those
"smoked" tail signals...

· Registered
274 Posts
It's a 6oz can, but I used one can of spray tint to do the whole set of tail lights on a 2-door Civic.

Also, you can get a can of clear coat under $5 at Pep Boys, Autozone, etc.

By the way, Krylon's Stained Glass spray paint says it's for glass, but it works great on the plastic on tails. I had to re-do the first set I did because they came out too dark and it took a lot of laquer thinner and elbow grease to take the paint off. So if you're worried about the paint not sticking or chipping off... dont. When it's on there, it's on there.

· Registered
2,850 Posts
i'll second the motion to use VERY LIGHT COATS when you do something like this. most of the time, when people wind up with dull lenses after doing something like this, it's because they put on too many coats (or a few really thick ones), and it ends up obscurring the clear coat on the lenses.

Krylon Stained Glass paint, or Testor's Transparent model spray paint are both highly recommended (try the orange Krylon Stained Glass paint for some DIY amber Vision signals!).

if you're trying to paint red over factory amber signals, there's a much better way to do it: get a set of all clear tails (or at least some red/clears) on the cheap (who the hell buys all clear tails anymore? everyone and their mother wants Altezzas these days), and spray over those. that way you won't wind up with a wierd dark spot where the amber signal used to be, and the paint will be consistent throughout.

i used the orange Krylon Stained Glass Spray Paint ($4 for one can) on my factory front corners (fake Visions!) and rear signals (for better color consistency). one can was enough for the whole thing, and i still have enough left to do at least two-three more sets if i really want to (i've been thinking about trying it with some Euro Clear corners, just to see what it would look like!)!

i used the Testor's transparent black/window tint spray paint on my red/clears and front clear "JDM style" corners. i needed two cans of this ($3.50 each if i remember correctly) because: 1) the cans are really small; and 2) i had to repaint the fronts three times because they kept turning out too dark (one time a mosquito got stuck in the paint as it was drying, which didn't help any). it takes about 1 hour to do it really well, most of that will be spent on prep work, and waiting for the paint to dry.

one thing you can do to make your painted lenses stay glossy is to apply a thin coat of spray Clear Coat (as was already mentioned) after the paint is dry. if you don't want to do that, try waxing the lenses (yes, the lenses) when you wax the car. you'd be surprised how well that works!

· Registered
13,201 Posts
Sloth (Former Member of SHO)

These are his tail lights that have been painted over with Testors Candy Apple Red with Clear coat. (I did the same with my old integra and they look good.)

Looks good...

Good luck,
Jason

· Registered
8,520 Posts
And that is a spray can, and you did it right over your factory lights?

· Registered
13,201 Posts
Yup just clean the area off tape off what you don't want painted and then start painting it very slowly! Do thin layers, it don't matter if you don't cover the whole thing the first time around. You'll be able to cover it when you got over it.

http://www.superhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21672&highlight=paint+tail

Run a search on how to paint it, just put in "paint tail" in the search field and you'll get good results.

Good luck,
Jason

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks all...i think i am going to practice with my old altezza's...

i bought them for $250 when they came out...and no one
wants them now for $50!!!!!!!!!!

anyhow...
any SPECIFIC brand and color i should buy???
for the RED part?
for the SMOKE part (signal and reverse)?

p.s. Testors Candy Apple is a TRANSPARENT PAINT right?
not a regular paint...

· Registered
13,201 Posts
Yup its called Testors Transparent Candy Apple Red. Remember to ask BEFORE you do anything that you have to guess on. Don't want you to have to start over agian...

Good luck,
Jason

· Registered
274 Posts
I also recommend picking up a can of laquer thinner. Just in case you have to redo it.

I had to start over the first time around because I added too many layers and it was too dark.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.