Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to know what would be better to do with the b18c5 engine.
Turbocharge it or supercharge it what type of resluits well i see if i turbo it or super it in ur guys opinon im highly debeting on witch to go with ive seen t/c cost the same a s/c so money not the issue its based on pure raw power and faster times on the 1/4 miler. and what well help me get lots of hp and tq and do the 1/4 fast as hell im going for pure speed. so witch is it s/c or t/c

· Registered
2,529 Posts
The B18C5 has a compression ratio of 11:1. To really boost the hell out of the engine, you'll need forged rods and at least 9:1 compression pistons, possibly 8:1. You say that your main goal is speed, so that is why I recommend building up the bottom end. A port and polish like skunk2import said will only help flow air, it won't necessarily help you boost more or safer. If you don't want to build your internals, then you won't get to be very fast with either a turbo or SC, simply because the compression ratio is high. However, you can in fact boost the B18C5 in it's stock form, you just won't be able to push over say 8-10 PSI without some very good tuning and good safeguards and/or engine management. Turbo will be better for 1/4 mile times, however, an SC is more reliable and requires less maintenance. Another option you have that I would consider if I were you would be to run Nitrous. You can run nitrous on high compression very easily... it too needs proper tuning and safeguards as well, but is easier and cheaper to go faster.

· Registered
2,529 Posts
I can't tell you what to do or what to go with, it's a free country. If you really find it necessary to change the internals which should be anywhere from $700 - 1500 depending on the components and labor charges, then do it, and then boost hard. Get some advice from the shop doing the install and also from other forums like the Turbo forum or the Nitrous forum, as well as this forum. I'm not too familiar with building internasl since I've personally never done it and don't really plan on it either. Then you should be good for a really quick car.

· Registered
1,633 Posts
Good lord! I'm a boost fan, but when it comes down to the B18C5, I would not go the FI route. That thing is a jewel and is build not for FI, but NA. If I had one of those, I would do a major build up of all the internals for a good NA car.

But then like exciv2000 said, its not my car so do whatever pleases you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.