Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 Civic and plan to get a fully custom stereo setup in my trunk soon. I plan to go all out with subs, amp/s, capacitors, Batteries, and maybe a DVD player or PS2. I wanted to go with one product all thhe way through for as much as possible. I currently have a Pioneer Premier headdeck that I plan to replace soon. I like the Pioneer products and want to know if other people out there like Pioneer or what you think is the best brand to go all out on? I don't want to compete that much but I want to have some bass and to pop my trunk and have some jealous people. Thanx.

· Registered
16 Posts
well if money isn't a problem, i say go with JL Audio. The only thing is, they don't make head units. Another good brand would be Kicker (again, they don't make head units) or Alpine. Oh, and check out www.rmscaraudio.com The guy Kevin, can make some nice plexiglass custom graphics if you send them to him and i've only heard good things about his subs and box.

· Registered
3,194 Posts
Good is subjective. Depends how deep your pockets are.

Anything from Nakamichi headunit with McIntosh Amp, Rainbow Reference Components and Adire Brahma Subs. Maybe Alpine cda-7990 with Image Dynamics Horn Setup, some A/D/S fill, ARC amps, it's all up to you. You should go down to some stereo stores and listen and see what you like. What's good to one persons ear might not be good to yours.

· Banned
846 Posts
if you want to go all out (still on a budget):

Nakamichi HU/Alpine CDA-7995
ARC component amp
Focal Utopia Components
(2) Image Dynamics IDMAX's
ARC sub amps

If you want to spend some money:

Nakamichi HU
Rainbow Components
Sinfoni/Brax/Mcintosh amps
Brahma Pro sub

· Registered
1,531 Posts
litspliff420 said:
if you want to go all out (still on a budget):

Nakamichi HU/Alpine CDA-7995
ARC component amp
Focal Utopia Components
(2) Image Dynamics IDMAX's
ARC sub amps

If you want to spend some money:

Nakamichi HU
Rainbow Components
Sinfoni/Brax/Mcintosh amps
Brahma Pro sub
DAMN lol you guys got big ass budgets..

· Registered
2,113 Posts
illusion said:
Good is subjective. Depends how deep your pockets are.

Anything from Nakamichi headunit with McIntosh Amp, Rainbow Reference Components and Adire Brahma Subs. Maybe Alpine cda-7990 with Image Dynamics Horn Setup, some A/D/S fill, ARC amps, it's all up to you. You should go down to some stereo stores and listen and see what you like. What's good to one persons ear might not be good to yours.
i was jsut about to suggest the same brands!

as for subs..i wouldn't touch JL audio (maybe W7 if the price was lower). i mean JL's are good..but not all hyped up to be..people say "the W0 is the best sound quality sub you can get for their price range"...sorry to say..but even pioneer's you can find at BB has equal or better sound quality.

some brands for subs are adire audio, blueprint design, and elemental designs are great.

· Registered
231 Posts
simple enuff

Alpine HU 7995
JL Audio XR650Csi - components
JL Audio XR650Cx - coxials
JL Audio 12W7
JL Amps
2 300/2 (for the XRs)
1 1000/1 (for the W7)

· Registered
231 Posts
my advice is dont buy cheap shit because it will break and you will spend more money getting a new one...just spend the extra couple of bucks and get the good shit...

· Banned
846 Posts
not to jump on JL fans, but i STRONGLY AGREE with Gsteg. JL is way overrated, and overpriced. No way in hell would i pay that much for a W7. There are also equal or better amps out there than the 1000/1 for half of the price. IMO, i think JL isnt even close to being qualified as the "good shit".

· Registered
547 Posts
You shouldn't be cheap about a system. Whatever you spend is basically the type of quality you will recieve, unless you've got the hookup or what not. I'm not sure if the Pop-Trunk idea is so great. It's kinda flashy and it'll attract theives if you're intention is to make them jealous. But IF you decide to follow through on the pop trunk thing, then invest in a high quality alarm system. (can't really be cheap about that either) Good luck =)

· Registered
2,113 Posts
SpeedxRacer said:
Damn i wish i could afford half the things you guys mentioned. I was looking into rainbows till I noticed that it would cost more than my car itself to put a pair in lol.
well thats just the reference series....the professional line goes well again the focal utopia and the price is up there with it. if you want a piece of rainbow, the dream line is nice. ~$145 ain't too bad. quality should be very good like their siblings

· Registered
841 Posts
I think just about everyone on here has missed the point of this guys question...he wants one brand front to back.

Now if you want DVD and all that crap (I say crap because I don't think it belongs in a car...just my $0.02) you will have to stick with a brand that makes all that crap...Alpine, Kenwood, Eclipse, Pioneer, etc.....personally, I don't think that they do more then one or anything all that well.

I think that by trying to match brands, you are making a huge mistake, and will end up with a sub par system at the price of cosmetics. Last time I checked, you listen to your system, not look at it :D! While I agree that it's nice to have a nicely integrated system from a visual standpoint, you won't find anyone who is not sponsored winning competitions with one brand doing it all.

I know that you don't compete, by why sacrifice good sound?

There are only a few brands that I think do everything (minus a head) really well. My top two pics would be a/d/s/ and Image Dynamics.

ID has some of the best analog processors out there, outstanding subs, good mids (the IDQ8's were great as dedicated midbasses), and their horns work really well.

a/d/s/ amps are powerful, but a bit big and awkward to install. The cool thing about them is that you can install a whole system on just one amp (they start with 4 channel configs and go up to 8 channels...don't let the power ratings fool you either!!) They also have one of the more versatile crossovers around. I really llike thier comps, very laid back - the crossover construction is virtually second to none, and their subs are all SQ.

I have not heard JL's newest comp sets, so I won't comment on them...same goes for Kicker. RF makes everything but the DVD, but personally, I think that they are tyring to hide their poor quality with glitz and glam...take a look at thier new components and you will see what I mean..it has marking poured all over them.....when a company can't sell via their performance, usually they chrome it!

I think that you should skip trying to match everything, and find what company makes the best of each component that fits in your budget. Then piece those together to make a great system.

· Registered
2,118 Posts
if you wanna go w/ the best or good shiet heres the setup:

multimedia (tvs, dvd, navigation) - definately alpine makes the best out there

headunits - again, well since you got one already but if you plan to change again alpine is great

subs and amp - i personally would go w/ the kicker solo baric L7's w/ the kx800.2. the L7's are relatively cheap and they knock w/ great sound quality. i've heard the kx500.2 and OMG that shiet pounds and the amp was only half way up. my ears were hurting.

for speakers - either mb quart or rainbow. prolly mb quart cuz its cheaper than rainbow.

but if you wanna go w/ all one brand i guess pioneer if not jl audio. but it doesn't hurt to mix and match. you gotta get the custom job if you gonna all out right? hope you do. good luck on the system.

· Registered
424 Posts
get some raindow 6.5", 4", and tweets, run them with a arc amp or something of = quality only put speakers in the front....... for subs i would go with 2 10"inhumans with a arc 2500 to each...
for hu i would go with nack, or eclipse..... both are great for sq.......

hope this helps

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.