Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
For a 4th gen like yours, the easiest is either the JDM DOHC ZC motor or the SOHC VTEC 92-95(d16z6), 96-00(d16y8) motors. They bolt right in and you use your the 4th gen civic's tranny. I've got the d16y8 and my brother has the ZC.

Check out the 4th gen link for the hybrid site. They show the possible swaps from easiest to hardest.

http://hybrid.honda-perf.org/tech/4gtech.html

· Registered
21 Posts
I've only had my motor for about a month and my brother's had his for a year, so we haven't raced yet. When we do, I'll let everyone know. Either swap should run you about $1,200.00 including motor, labor, fluids and some preventive maintenance parts. The SOHC VTEC motor would probably be easier to find, although since you live in Cali, most engine importers should have the ZC.

· Registered
1,675 Posts
Personally if i were to do a sohc swap into a civic/crx i wouldn't pay more then $500 for it (no offense to you) but at $1,200 you could have spent a little more and got a dohc b16a.I've seen complete swaps including engine,tranny,ecu,mounts,axles and all components (alternator,starter,sensors,etc) for about $1,550.With the b16a you would have had 158hp vs the 125hp and 111 lbs of tq vs the 105lbs.Plus an engine with a lot more potential.
Probably the best swap for that car would be either the dohc zc or the b16a.The b18a/b, and b18c1/5 would also all fit but you will run into clearance issues with the lower cross member and oil pan vs concrete wars.;).I've seen the b18's in crx's but from what i've heard you are limited to how much you can lower the car if at all without doing some modifications.So with that said i think the b16a is the best bang for the money plus the jdm civic/crx came with that engine stock

· Registered
21 Posts
b16ahybrid said:
Personally if i were to do a sohc swap into a civic/crx i wouldn't pay more then $500 for it (no offense to you) but at $1,200 you could have spent a little more and got a dohc b16a.I've seen complete swaps including engine,tranny,ecu,mounts,axles and all components (alternator,starter,sensors,etc) for about $1,550.With the b16a you would have had 158hp vs the 125hp and 111 lbs of tq vs the 105lbs.Plus an engine with a lot more potential.
Probably the best swap for that car would be either the dohc zc or the b16a.The b18a/b, and b18c1/5 would also all fit but you will run into clearance issues with the lower cross member and oil pan vs concrete wars.;).I've seen the b18's in crx's but from what i've heard you are limited to how much you can lower the car if at all without doing some modifications.So with that said i think the b16a is the best bang for the money plus the jdm civic/crx came with that engine stock
with crx's and 4th gen civics, there is a lot more work involved for b16 swaps. Those normally run about $2,500 for parts and labor. $500 for a swap? Shoo, that's how much I paid for the motor and cluch alone. If you can do it for $500, then more power to ya, but I find that hard to believe. I paid $350 more for labor(friend did the swap), then the rest were for parts, such as belts, fluids, injector/resistor box, vtec/fuel controller, a/f gauge, '89 integ ecu. I highly doubt anyone on here would agree with your $1,550 estimate on doing a complete b16swap into an EF civic/crx.

· Registered
21 Posts
b16ahybrid said:
with crx's and 4th gen civics, there is a lot more work involved for b16 swaps. Those normally run about $2,500 for parts and labor. $500 for a swap? Shoo, that's how much I paid for the d16y8 motor and cluch alone(i used my crx tranny and distributor). And for the ZC's, I usually see ZC motors with distributor and transmission for around $700. If you can do it for $500, then more power to ya, but I find that hard to believe. I paid $350 more for labor(friend did the swap), then the rest were for parts, such as belts, fluids, injector/resistor box, vtec/fuel controller, a/f gauge, '89 integ ecu.

I highly doubt anyone on here would agree with your $1,550 estimate on doing a complete b16swap into an EF civic/crx.

· Registered
623 Posts
i think u can do it for 1550. i can get a 1st gen b16 for around 400-500. a cable tranny wouldnt cost more than 350. and the rest are just little things and installation. i can also get sohc swaps for like 250-300 complete (motor,trans,ecu) i ecently jus sold my soch vtec swap for 270. i also heard of a local junkyard sellin zc swaps for 450. i dont really think much can be done w/ a ZC. i dont here much of anyone one buying one either. a b16 has way more potential.

· Registered
1,675 Posts
NawTeeCRX said:

with crx's and 4th gen civics, there is a lot more work involved for b16 swaps. Those normally run about $2,500 for parts and labor. $500 for a swap? Shoo, that's how much I paid for the motor and cluch alone. If you can do it for $500, then more power to ya, but I find that hard to believe. I paid $350 more for labor(friend did the swap), then the rest were for parts, such as belts, fluids, injector/resistor box, vtec/fuel controller, a/f gauge, '89 integ ecu. I highly doubt anyone on here would agree with your $1,550 estimate on doing a complete b16swap into an EF civic/crx.
Droping a b16a into a 4th gen chassis isn't that hard.They do make mount kits for that car and engine that run about $450 so that makes the swap a lot easier plus in japan some of the civics/crx's came with a b16a so making it fit isn't to involved.I have seen complete b16a swaps (including mounts,engine,tranny,ecu,axles,etc) for $1,550 and $1,000 without the axles and mounts.Either way you looking at about $1,600-$1,800 installed with new belts,water pump,etc.If you do the work yourself it will save you a great deal of money.Your $2,500 estimate was more then my second gen b16a (sir2) swap complete i only paid $2,100 and that was with a gs-r tranny.Although my price did end up going up because i did a complete rebuild along with a new act clutch.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.