Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious as to what the big diffence is between drag slicks and bald ass tires. I meen I know slicks have a softer rubber compund (or so i think), but why cant i just run my old bald falkens on the track? I meen they have no tread, they are slick to the touch, whats the big difference?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
That makes the biggest difference is how soft the rubber is. Usually bald street tires get worse as they wear down. Drag tires or racing tires in general get stickier.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Racing slicks are made with different compounds which make them much more sitcky. They racers often heat them up (burn outs) which makes the surface of the time even more sticky. If you ever touch the surface of a slick you can really feel how sticky they are.

A bald tire is exactly as you would think. It's a tire with no special compounds and no tread so you have shit all for traction. Great for smoke shows and shitty for racing.

FYI, winter tires actually have a different type of compound in them to keep them soft in cold conditions. It's the softness that makes them more sticky on ice and other slippery surfaces. The opposite applies for a summer sport tire. Since they lack this compound they get really hard and they suck in the cold.

The various compound that each tire is made with makes is what makes it unique for it's application.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.