Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
help buying car

well im a complete newbie when it comes to preludes and i was thinking of getting one but i was wondering what was the difference between the sh,si-r,and non s,sh,si,si-r on the 97-2001.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
the 5th gen (97-01) only has three different models, from my knowledge... Two USDM, and 1 JDM exclusive... there's the Base, SH, and the JDM Type S.

the only differences between the Base and SH models as far as powertrain goes is the SH's addition of the ATTS system... a semi-form of traction control from my understanding... I dont know much about it, as I've heard it's a bear to work on... and I had a base model.

the JDM Type S model comes with a more powerful engine... 220hp, with 11:1 CR, higher duration cams, and some other nifty stuff.

other than that, all differences are aesthetic.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hey,
All I can say is get yourself an SH...
I got one last night, and the thing feels like it's on rails!

In case those of you don't know what ATTS is, it's like the new RL with the SH... It makes the outside wheel turn faster than the inside wheel when exiting a turn, and it basically feels like it's on rails, it won't understeer like a civic, but feels almost like a RWD car...
Think of a wheelchair, holding the inside wheel and turning the outside one will make it turn on a dime... Same idea here...

I say get an SH, besides when someone asks you what model it is, wouldn't you feel good saying it's the top model SH?? Rather than the base model that sounds so bad...

Plus SH's come with a subtle body kit and a nice spoiler, and didn't have the option of an automatic...

P.S. I hate automatics...

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
mberndt said:
Hey,
All I can say is get yourself an SH...
I got one last night, and the thing feels like it's on rails!

In case those of you don't know what ATTS is, it's like the new RL with the SH... It makes the outside wheel turn faster than the inside wheel when exiting a turn, and it basically feels like it's on rails, it won't understeer like a civic, but feels almost like a RWD car...
Think of a wheelchair, holding the inside wheel and turning the outside one will make it turn on a dime... Same idea here...

I say get an SH, besides when someone asks you what model it is, wouldn't you feel good saying it's the top model SH?? Rather than the base model that sounds so bad...

Plus SH's come with a subtle body kit and a nice spoiler, and didn't have the option of an automatic...

P.S. I hate automatics...
The SH is a nice setup for people who don't plan to seriously mod the engine. I have had a 2000 SH for a few years now. The reason I say no serious mods is that the ATTS can only handle somewhere around 250 hp. After that apparently it falls apart, although I don't think I've heard of anyone trying this out.

ATTS is not traction control. Traction control biases torque to one side or the other away from a slipping wheel. ATTS transfers torque to the outside wheel of a turn, no matter what's slipping or not slipping. It does this based on inputs from several sensors around the car. If the sensors are reading within set thresholds, then the ATTS unit will transfer 15% of whatever torque is available to the outside wheel. If the car is going too slow, you're not on the gas enough, the engine isn't turning fast enough, or even if you aren't turning hard enough, nothing happens.

The SH does not come with any different body parts than the base. They are painted on the SH though, not black like the base has. I believed that honda advertised 5 more horsepower for the SH, but nobody really knows if that's true. Besides, at the wheels, you can get more variance going from one prelude to another than that anyway. It came with a different shift knob, different steering wheel, and different wheels. It also came with a spoiler that was optional on the base models.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
honestly... if it were me, I'd stick with the base model. The ATTS system just seems like it doesn't really do enough to make it worth all the trouble.

and yeah, like someone else said earlier, if you're looking to really put any power down, you're gonna want the base model anyway.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Clone said:
honestly... if it were me, I'd stick with the base model. The ATTS system just seems like it doesn't really do enough to make it worth all the trouble.

and yeah, like someone else said earlier, if you're looking to really put any power down, you're gonna want the base model anyway.

That's the way most tuners feel. Sometimes I think that I should have gotten a base instead of the SH. But I didn't know any better at the time.

Then again, I've had a ton of fun playing with the ATTS. If you really push an SH through the corners and let the ATTS work like it's supposed to, it definately changes how the car feels, and it's a blast to drive.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Clone said:

its worth it, come on.

how many people out there have/have goals to acheive 250hp on their ludes.

if you don't have or have plans for fairly large power on your lude, and say atts sucks, you're probably just jealous :hehe

for track racing/auto-x for sure type sh, at least we can agree on that, eh.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.