Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I need to find out what is wrong with my car. ITs an auto. Theres the first thing wrong with it, but besides the point, the car will stuter sometimes when it starts from a stop. Im thinking its my tranny which im ready to replace but i dont want to replace it and have it doing the same problem. The d4 light comes on and the check engine light comes on. it starts doing it about 20 min after you i start it. Its like it doesnt know what gear to go in. If somebody thinks its something else besides the tranny plz let me know.

·
Registered
571 Posts
re: tranny

how many miles on the car? have you ever had an auto tranny service where they flush it and clean all the bad stuff out of it and then refill it ....

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
new trany time
^^^ be serious...if you are...sorry.

Might not be your tranny, but it very well could be, there's a lot of things that it could be.

Unlike the person above me who is either thick headed or just rich enough to take his car to honda and let them tell him whatever bull shit, I will give you solid sound advice.

Grab your engine codes, let us know what they are. Then we can work from there and see what exactly is wrong with your car. To the best of my knowledge the only lights you could throw for tranny would be code 19, 30, and 31. If it's anything different it's not your tranny.

Engine codes are like so. Long blink is 10, short blink is 1. You count your blinks and add them togethert, i.e.

long short short short short is a code 14, IACV.

To get those you need to jump your ECU via your 2 prong jumper, which is usually blue on preludes if I"m not mistaken, paper clips work well.

After you jump it, get your CEL, then get your code. Get back to use and we'll work from there.

Ignore advice from people who know not what they speak of...

**EDIT**

I was talking about ganjigrimlin or whatever his name is in the top of the post.

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
well I'm looking at your name, lol, but assuming you drive a prelude.

The Jumper is behind the center console, it's a small blue 2 prong connector, behind the radio area. should be connected to something, you just need unplug it and pull it out the side, then hook a paper clip in the 2 holes to "jump" the connection. This will tell the ECU to blink the codes on the dash.

I think there might be a write up somewhere on the site, do a search in the prelude section and see.

·
Registered
8,403 Posts
hondaciviclover said:
Hey guys I need to find out what is wrong with my car. ITs an auto. Theres the first thing wrong with it, but besides the point, the car will stuter sometimes when it starts from a stop. Im thinking its my tranny which im ready to replace but i dont want to replace it and have it doing the same problem. The d4 light comes on and the check engine light comes on. it starts doing it about 20 min after you i start it. Its like it doesnt know what gear to go in. If somebody thinks its something else besides the tranny plz let me know.
check all of your secondary ignition

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
lots of smart ass on here. Its got 200k kms not miles and im just looking at fixing this problem so that the buyer doesnt come back all pissed off. The car is already sold and yeah i can tell its time for a new car. If you dont have anything to say about what i am asking done bother posting.

G

·
283xxxkm = about 176,000 miles

I think it is pretty damn cool of you to fix this before you sell it, most people wouldn't. Did you find anything out, yet?

·
Registered
123 Posts
somebody had mentioned a tranny flush - you may want to avoid getting that done as your car (and presumably your tranny) has about 200,000 miles on it. i read something about the particle buildup in older transmissions becoming almost part of the tranny. thus, if you flush out the tranny and replace the fluid - you're doing more harm than good. somebody correct me if i'm wrong or back me up if you've learned something similar. good luck with whatever happens.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Civic Ex Chick said:
283xxxkm = about 176,000 miles

I think it is pretty damn cool of you to fix this before you sell it, most people wouldn't. Did you find anything out, yet?
yeah, that is cool. most people sell for that exact reason - "tranny slipping, time to sell this bitch" or "reverse is the only surviving gear, let me put in the paper under - for sale, runs great"

·
Registered
8,403 Posts
hondaciviclover said:
lots of smart ass on here. Its got 200k kms not miles and im just looking at fixing this problem so that the buyer doesnt come back all pissed off. The car is already sold and yeah i can tell its time for a new car. If you dont have anything to say about what i am asking done bother posting.
dont get smarty pantsy there noob.

j/k

no im not

yea i am, sorry

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.