Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading up on some other forums about differnet wheel sizes. Many of the forums stated that the maximum wheel size you want is 16". I was originally planning for 17", but i want the my del sol to handle just as good as it does now. Even in the books i've recently read, they say to go 16" for performance handling. What type of sizes do you people have? What do you think? If this is true, then the 16" does sound appealing. what kind of difference does 1 inch really do?

·
Registered
974 Posts
1 inch means about 1 cm less sidewall hight, and thats alot. 16's handle the best, they give enough tire roll, and are good and stiff. 15's will be lighter and have better accel. 17's are blingin, and will hurt performence, sidewall to short, and very heavy.

17's are like rolling on rubber padded rims, 16's still give you some rubber flex.

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
I have 17's on my sol and I think it handles just fine...a buddy of mine has some forged 19's from centerline and they only weight like 13lbs...they are too light...but the bigger the rim, even if it is FORGED (light weight) probably isn't the best bet...I would have to agree with everyone else...16's are perfect...especially some rota cp8's...so damn sexy!!!

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
i liked 15's...

tire flex is all in the tire...

smaller the rim, faster it accelerates

bigger, the easier it is to maintian a higher speed.

+1 for 15x7's

·
Registered
10,923 Posts
15's ALL THE WAY! They're the perfect size rim for a Sol.
Anything larger looks crazy, IMO, and will detract from
acceleration/braking; unless you're planning on larger
brakes, 15's won't cut it with that option.

·
Registered
10,923 Posts
solsykness said:
...a buddy of mine has some forged 19's from centerline and they only weight like 13lbs....
:rolleyes What "imaginary" car does your friend drive?
My Racing Hart 15X6.5 CP0-35's are close to 10lbs. each.
I find it hard to believe a 19 inch wheel weighing only
13 pounds.
EDIT: Are these on a Sol? Let's see some pics, if so.

·
Registered
974 Posts
i read somewhere that for performence driving (on a track per se) your rim size should be as small as it can while fitting your brakes under them. The only real reason you would need to upgrade is that it is very hard to find performence tires in the del sol sizes. getting 15's would solve this problem.

I've driven with kosei k1's in both 15 and 16. The 15's are what i would pick if i lived on a track, the 16's keep me from sliding out a little better because of the width and also are really easy to find a good tire for.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
you can always get smaller diameter wheels with larger widths

i'm about to pick up a set of 16x8 slipstreams (only 5x100 sorry :lol)
but my stockers (seen above) are 16x7 and weighs only 14 lbs... so i'm pretty happy with what i got

but yea, only step up if your BRAKES require you to.

i was goign to run itr calipers on my sol hence the 15" rotas

but i never got around to it..

pick in my sig is stock del sol wheels with integra/del sol vtec brakes. worked fine...

slipping on a track? get stickier tires :)

still having issues, get wider wheel.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Phantom_Sol said:
i liked 15's...

tire flex is all in the tire...

smaller the rim, faster it accelerates

bigger, the easier it is to maintian a higher speed.

+1 for 15x7's
BlueBallz said:
15's ALL THE WAY! They're the perfect size rim for a Sol.
Anything larger looks crazy, IMO, and will detract from
acceleration/braking; unless you're planning on larger
brakes, 15's won't cut it with that option.
took words right out of my mouth

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Eventually I am going to put either a turbo or supercharger... leaning towards the turbo. and thus with more power, I'll want my car to be able to stop better. With what i have set up now, the brakes are fine, but with the huge increase of hp, i'm probably going to look into getter bigger and better brakes. This would require at least 17" wheels. Is the bigger brakes worth it? from what i can see they are. If you can't stop with the power you got, the power isn't worth it. Any suggestions on some good brake rotors?
thanks for your replies.

·
Registered
974 Posts
http://www.solsociety.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2406

heres a good article on tire size.

If you dont plan on track driving just get some brembo blanks with nice (comptech is pretty good) pads. If you do take it to races you could either upgrade the rotor to slotted drilled. or you could step up the size, costing lots of money.

and remember, bigger rotors mean more rotational mass, meaning less hp to the wheels.

oh and phantom, yea its true i could find 15" x 7.5" but there was only 1 tire in that size and it cost $170 bucks a peice. the 16" were 7.5" the rims cost me 400 dollars including new yoko a520s. AS apposed to buying 15" by 7.5" racing rims for 900 + 600 for the tires. Just giving some reason to my choice.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I used to have a crx that ran 15.2 1/4 mile. So it is around the same as a B16a del sol performance wise. I had 17s,16s,15s,14s on it and by far the best set up i had were my 15x7 Buddy Club P1's with Falken Azenis rubber. Handled amazingly and allowed my car to accelerate quickly.

Chad

PS Falken Azenis tires rock. and they come in small sizes.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
spuzzy said:
Eventually I am going to put either a turbo or supercharger... leaning towards the turbo. and thus with more power, I'll want my car to be able to stop better. With what i have set up now, the brakes are fine, but with the huge increase of hp, i'm probably going to look into getter bigger and better brakes. This would require at least 17" wheels. Is the bigger brakes worth it? from what i can see they are. If you can't stop with the power you got, the power isn't worth it. Any suggestions on some good brake rotors?
thanks for your replies.

get an itr brake setup and see how that does...

oem brake upgrades = cheapest yet effective. you are still increasing rotor mass so its heat capacity increases. mind you, our (or rather you all) have light cars. so you dont need uber harcore stopping power unless you really track it. in any case, i'd recomend the itr upgrade. at 11.1 versus your stock (9.5 or 10.2") its the best bang for the buck. i picked up calipers for 120.

it fits under a 15" wheel..

again +1 vote for 15"x7" for the sol.

Reactions: hobie237

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
Phantom_Sol said:
get an itr brake setup and see how that does...

oem brake upgrades = cheapest yet effective. you are still increasing rotor mass so its heat capacity increases. mind you, our (or rather you all) have light cars. so you dont need uber harcore stopping power unless you really track it. in any case, i'd recomend the itr upgrade. at 11.1 versus your stock (9.5 or 10.2") its the best bang for the buck. i picked up calipers for 120.

it fits under a 15" wheel..

again +1 vote for 15"x7" for the sol.

listen to this guy... :number1

·
Registered
931 Posts
Rule of thumb for wheels...

13"
Race (X) ( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) Show

14"
Race ( ) (X) ( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) Show

15"
Race ( ) ( ) (X) ( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) Show

16"
Race ( ) ( ) ( ) (X) ( ) ( ) ( ) Show

17"
Race ( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) (X) ( ) ( ) Show

18"
Race ( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) (X) ( ) Show

19"
Race ( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) (X) Show

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
but it also depeds on the width...

i'd still think a 15x7 > 14x5.5 any day for performance....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.