Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel like a tool asking this question but i dont know anyone else around me with a prelude...

Does anybody else get wheel spin when rolling at 10-15 mph in first gear and punch the throttle? No, i dont need new tires ;) - yet

·
Registered
163 Posts
Well, I have havent driven my car in awhile since third gear is busted, but I did take it out a few weeks ago when it was really cold and I punched it at about 3500 rpms in 1st and as soon as it hit VTEC the wheels started spinning. So yes, wheelspin can be pretty bad. The road was dry and I have plenty of tread on my tires, which are crappy Kumho Ecsta Supra's. Some stickier tires will hopefully help keep the power to the ground. Makes me wish I had the $ for the LSD tranny

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Yes I do get some wheels spin depending on the conditions. Are you turning at the time? Are you on some light gravel or road dust? Is it cold out? All of these can play a factor in wheelspin. Here in northern Illinois, the roads are covered in salt (try not to drive the lude too much... maybe once a week). I get wheelspin as soon as the car hits VTEC because it's like I'm driving on a fine dust... totally blows.

Not to mention that you seem to have a bit of work done where I only have an Intake and Header... so it's definately a possibility.

~Peace :D

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
ohh yea i did get serious wheel spin in 1st gear and 2nd. of course i had stage 3 clutch so it grabs all the power.

weather, road surface, tire type, tire life, all have big factor in the effects of wheel spinning aside the engine's rpm and power.

my 95 civic hatch with D15B7 which has 102hp at the flywheel, and it has Kuhmo 711 205/50/15 on it, and in 1st if im around 1500-2000 and mash the throttle, it will spin almost all the way to redline, usually it will regain traction around 500-1000 before redline. that is with the current cold temps. but in the summer time it wont spin, i will have to do a clutch drop to get the tires to spin lol :p

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Shibby H22A said:
ohh yea i did get serious wheel spin in 1st gear and 2nd. of course i had stage 3 clutch so it grabs all the power.
yeah i got the same thing, except its even before vtec and in the summer too.
it will spin until i get off the gas.
if i were to give it hell in a turn i'd go bouncing off every curb in sight.

thanks for the replies guys.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
i spin through first at half throttle and completely through second gear at wot. even worse when the clutch is used. i need drag radials :(

·
Registered
14,553 Posts
ill let you know on friday if all goes well :hehe

i dont think the Regul Challengers will hold up well to VTEC :lol

·
Premium Member
13,998 Posts
1st gear is useless on my car. I think when my tires were just out of the box it was ok. But a week after the little nobbies came off it was back to wheel spin heaven.

I used to be able to chirp 5th on my old tires and could spin through second. If anything wheel spin is a good thing.

Like an old racing guy once said. If you can leave a trail from the exit of one corner till you enter into the next. Then you have enough power. :clap

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah i told people i've chirped 3rd before and they thought i was full of shit. bah
5th gear though, wow! i wish i could even use my 4th gear (top speed limiter)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts