Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought some 17 inch rims today they were 4 lug universal, i put them on and everything fit right expcpet that the rims scrape the calipers. how would i fix this?

·
Registered
371 Posts
cranberynvodka said:
i bought some 17 inch rims today they were 4 lug universal, i put them on and everything fit right expcpet that the rims scrape the calipers. how would i fix this?
Well depending on how you intend to use your car (show or go) and how bad the wheels are scraping your calipers, you could still make use of the wheels. Try taking a rotary tool (dremel) and grinding the part of the caliper that is scraping. This will only work if there is a very slight scrape, otherwise you just need to find a better offset.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
i think it'd just be a bad idea to grin down your caliper with a dremmel...to me that'd be a "ricey" thang to do
a spacer should work fine

·
Registered
371 Posts
Gosei_Passion said:
i think it'd just be a bad idea to grin down your caliper with a dremmel...to me that'd be a "ricey" thang to do
a spacer should work fine
It definitely doesn't help with appearance, but lot's of drag racers do it when they run skinnies. You usually can't get the right offset (especially with the cheaper skinnies), so grinding the caliper is the easiest and cheapest way to go. 1/4 inch is quite a bit though, so I'd probably run spacers.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
find the current offset of your rims then calculate the offset with the 5mm spacer added to it and if its around 42mm then it should be good.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hmm i noticed that when i took the wheel off at the end of the caliper theres this extention that comes out of bothe the top and the bottom side, its just a long bar and than theres a gap in the middle. i was wondering if i could just take that piece off with a dremel? it seems to be like a piece that keeps brakedust from gettin to the wheels or mayb a heat shield of some sort

·
Registered
371 Posts
I wouldn't take any parts off of your braking system, pretty much everything is there for a reason.

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
LoPeY said:
I wouldn't take any parts off of your braking system, pretty much everything is there for a reason.

we're not talking about taking parts off the braking system... no shit everything is there for a reason. we are talking about grinding away what could be excess metal where it doesnt need to be, where it is getting in the way of the wheel. the problem we are having is that grinding too much could damage things, as could grinding the wrong pieces....

the concern isnt over removal of parts, its over whether someone has the necessary expertise to grind and modify existing parts

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
take a look at the back of your wheels...there will be a number et " " that's your offset...and the other thing you need is the width of the rim...17x" " these will determine what kind of spacer you need...there is no other way you want to fix the problem..don't start grinding shit...even once you've grinded down the calipers you don't know if it'll start rubbing the inner fender..then more problems come up...if you were to run that high offset your wheels would be too close to the center of the car...this effects performance and looks...4 spacers WILL work and that's a garauntee

1 - 20 of 24 Posts