Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how someone would know when your exhaust valves needs to be replace, also how easy/hard is it?

·
Registered
20,271 Posts
91Vtec said:
I was wondering how someone would know when your exhaust valves needs to be replace, also how easy/hard is it?
a leakdown test would tell u the condition of the valves...leakage allowed is 10-15% i believe...its been long time since ive done one.

and yes its a big job that requires removal of the head

·
Registered
101 Posts
I dont really know how much a shop would charge to do that, but after you put the new valves in, you will wanna take the car to a honda dealer to get the valves adjusted so you dont have tapping issues (unless you know somebody with the knowledge and the tools to do it). Honestly its almost pointless to replace just valves. Since you have to take the head off, I would either buy a head package or get your stock one port & polished. A good head package will come with valves, springs, and retainers. Some packages even have options for cams, and other goodies. My head package is on the way, and Im getting valves, dual springs, retainers (all of which are titanium). I already have stage 1 cams, so I didnt need them for mine. Not only will cure your valve problem, but it will give ya some extra power, and we all know that is a good thing. :D

·
Registered
101 Posts
it cost me $1300 shipped to my door...the acutal head itself is a grand, but with the springs, valves, and retainers its 1300...the place has dyno results posted on their site that show 190whp on a stock motor...now as you can see from my sig, my motor isnt stock, and with the addition of stage 1 cams Im hopin to break the 210-220whp (now whether I get that or not we will see). I will be taking it to the local dyno shop and have the adjustable cam gears tuned, after everything is installed and broken in. If you go this route I would also recommend a new head gasket (need to replace any time you take the head off), and a block guard.

here is the link:

http://www.dh-racing.com/Head_Packages.html#stockb16

oh and this company doesnt require you to send in your core...so you get a new head, plus you can keep your stock head (good to have a backup)

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
NationsMostWanted said:
yup it costs a good amount of parts and labor. so i wouldnt buy it until i figure out if thats the problem

LOL, DAMN! Well one day....one day....I am going to rebuild my motor, maybe soon if i win the lottery :D

·
Registered
56 Posts
Titanium is great for race car where the motor is being rebuilt constatly.... Titanium isn't great for moving parts... it will fatigue over time and you will have to do it all over again and it isnt worth the money.... go sodium filled that dissapates heat better than titanium

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
SOLdier05 said:
here is the link:

http://www.dh-racing.com/Head_Packages.html#stockb16

oh and this company doesnt require you to send in your core...so you get a new head, plus you can keep your stock head (good to have a backup)
Is the head installed already or are you waiting on something? Let us know how it feels once it's on.

You may have a different experience but I've dealt with DH-racing in the past and Dave is a shady, scamming mofo who does shit work and makes ridiculous claims. There are tons of people who have been screwed by him and dh-racing was reported to the BBB and I think shut down..then they moved somewhere and reopened.

also you might want to hot tank that head when you receive it...there have been numerous accounts of people receiving built heads from him only to find they were filled with metal shavings.

but ...good luck. Hopefully you will be one of the people he doesn't fuck over. I just hope he goes to jail and/or burns

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.