Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my 95' DX HB for 8 months now and I have put a little under 8 grand into it. This covers buying it and maintaining the car and the few modification which you can view in my profile. This Tuesday I am going to the Body Shop to get a full quote on all the body damage and full paint job to restoring it to it's original form, with the exception for the mods I have done. My future plans after the body and paint is complete, is to finish off the under side suspension work. Family and friends have told me to get a new car and since the begining of the build; this is the first time during the 8 months, where I am actually considering it. What would you do? :confused

·
Registered
518 Posts
umm helll no, people told me to buy a new car, i drive a reconstructed hatch that needs 2000 dollars in body work, and its an auto, but i still have plans for it, ide keep the hatch man, those things are getiing kinda rare, +1 for the hatch

·
Registered
386 Posts
I personally would get a new car if i were you, If you can afford to do it. Most people would stick with a car that has alot of problems because they cant afford to get a new one, so they try to fix it and make it fast. You already put in 8k into this car,You'v paid your dues and put in work, its time to move on. BE glad you have that option man, Id vote for a new honda, and maybe TC that one or whatever. Its all IMO.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a lot of fun driving my car, but looking back on the money I've spent, I don't know if it's really worth it? :(

·
Registered
386 Posts
I feel you, I felt the same way about my accord, i loved that car and i put alot into it but i just had to give it up and move on. Too many problems and too much money spent, just had branch out. Well you know my opinion man.

·
Registered
141 Posts
i have 2 rules.1- never put more into car than the insurance will cover in case if a wreck , 2- or what i could sell it for. down here hondas are high right now, not lasting a couple of days for a good one. a plus for me is i do all the work on the car, even the painting, so the cost stay way down. good luck dude.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Dude, you can go ahead and get a new car... and then mabey buy some mods for it or transfer some of the parts you have to the new one (depending on the compatability). OR you can go through with the car you have and always have the experience of creating it (in essence). But it really comes down to what you want. Ease or experience.

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
Well, a few ways to look at it and a couple of questions to ask.

1 - Look at what you have. Ask yourself if you didn't have a car, and someone was selling one just like what you have, would you give them $8k for it?
2 - How much money will it take to get you where you want to be?

Based on what you've said, I would actually recommend getting another car if it is feasible. For example, for the $8k that you've spent, you could have a used GSR.

So for example, if you are still $4-5k away from finishing your project, it may be best to sell off the aftermarket stuff, return it to stock, get a $600 maaco paint job, and trade it in or sell it on something else. Use the money that you would have invested as a downpayment on something closer to what you want.

So I think it really comes down to what you want in the end, and how much you are comfortable with paying to get there.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was hoping on spending no more than 30K within the next 5 years. At that point in time I should be where I want to be. I was hoping on keeping this car for life. Not my only car, but something that I could hand down to my children. But not before I have my fun with it. I wanted to turn it into a Show/Drag/Auto-X type car. I think 30K will do that for me. It's just that after 8k it still doesn't look like much. I'm a little disappointed. :(

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Finish it. Why spend so much now, just to get rid of it incomplete? THAT, makes no sense. Finish the job, and keep it. Later on, buy a new car, and move this one to garage/track/show queen status.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I want my dreams to become reality, I really want to go forward with this car. By 4:00pm ET I will deside what I will be doing. Thanks for everything. :)

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
If you are at $8k now then potentially spending another $22k in 5yrs is crazy. Please realize that is roughly $365/month for the next 5yrs. You could easily get this to be a realiable car that is track capable for maybe another $8k (motor, suspension, etc.).

If you want to keep this car, I think that it would be best for you to sit down, draw up a clear plan, and realistically price what it would take for you to get there. Walk away from your list, then come back and look at it again, and start identifying what things you *must* do to reach your goal and which items are just fluff that won't make or break the project. For example, engine - yes... suspension - yes... $3000 paint job - absolutely no for a potential track car... etc...

I'm currently turning my civic into a project/track car. The only reason that I didn't sell it was because an rsx-s was the cheapest car that I could find that would do what I wanted. So it was cheaper to work with what I already had.

·
Registered
518 Posts
ya i dont know if you have 8k in it ide stick with it, my car i have about 1750 in it, but i really would keep the hatch, i really considered selling my car but i know i cant get much money out of it, and mine has a new engine so i would probly be losing $$$

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea, I've decided to keep it, I just returned from the body shop and it's going to cost $1,700.00 to paint all the pieces that arn't Red and fix the body damage. I just ordered a Wings West Front lip to go along with it; so this way I can get it all out of the way at once. I also made an appointment to get a bunch of suspension parts ordered and installed. I'm so excited, I'll post pics after I'm done. The suspension should go in this week or next week, the week after the body work will get done. :clap

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
if my EG8 hadn't been stolen, i'd still be trying to keep it going. even though my registration was long overdue (and was about to get me in a lot of trouble!), and i was needing about $2K in repairs and maintenance to get it back to original fit and finish, that car was going to be mine forever. once it was taken though, and i realized that i wouldn't be getting it back, i just had to let it go. be thankful that even though you've spent quite a bit of money already (i probably spent about that much on mine over the years), you still have the option to make that decision.

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
Putney said:
Yea, I've decided to keep it, I just returned from the body shop and it's going to cost $1,700.00 to paint all the pieces that arn't Red and fix the body damage. I just ordered a Wings West Front lip to go along with it; so this way I can get it all out of the way at once. I also made an appointment to get a bunch of suspension parts ordered and installed. I'm so excited, I'll post pics after I'm done. The suspension should go in this week or next week, the week after the body work will get done. :clap
get the suspension installed *before* the paint job. That way you don't have to worry about someone banging up your fresh paint while pounding on your suspension.

you could also save a ton of money by doing installs yourself.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would really like to do all the work myself, but I don't have a lift or the proper tools, nor do I have the time, I am a full time college student. Next year I will graduate with my associates degree and I will go on to UTI in Exon, PA where I will learn the skills; which will bring me closer to my dreams. :)

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
kommon_sense said:
get the suspension installed *before* the paint job. That way you don't have to worry about someone banging up your fresh paint while pounding on your suspension.
I will have the suspension done first, the body shop told me to go ahead and do that for the same reasons you listed. :)

·
Registered
882 Posts
your best bet is to make friends with people at auto parts stores... i get anything i want now for cheap cheap cheap. Just had the guy order me a CAI for 145 shipped when i could bought it myself for nearly 250 shipped.

also im getting some skunk2 coilovers for about 185 shipped when i could buy em myself for 305 shipped :p

its good to know people :D

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
det414 said:
your best bet is to make friends with people at auto parts stores... i get anything i want now for cheap cheap cheap. Just had the guy order me a CAI for 145 shipped when i could bought it myself for nearly 250 shipped.

also im getting some skunk2 coilovers for about 185 shipped when i could buy em myself for 305 shipped :p

its good to know people :D
It is good to know people; all the suspension parts which are listed in my profile, I purchased through one of my friends who used to work at an Advanced Auto store near me. Too bad him and his buddys all quite because they hated their manager.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts