Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(if ur not at the stock point)
how low or high do u guys have ur vtec set at?

im thinking about setting mine at about 4850 because after i shift with my f22 tranny, i drop down to around there. is this too low? it should be fine as long as it's tuned, right? but itll set using a chipped ecu from phearable the basemap they give me. it will prbly be ran on that basemap for a while before it actually gets tuned.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Stock is close enough to optimal. Anywhere below there and you probably will not gain power with the larger lobes (and there will be a point that you will start to LOSE it).

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
95hprelude said:
true...the reason why i want to is because i fall out of vtec when i shift with my f22 tranny :mad
i guess i can go 5k
i cant see you falling any lower then 2500 rpm betwen shifts even with the f22 trans. i have the h23 tranny mated up to my h22. i still have a code 22 so i have no vtec right now, but my shifts dont drop that bad at all. you defenately shouldnt have a problem. you just dont want it too low thats all. its not really healthy.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
johnlude85 said:
i cant see you falling any lower then 2500 rpm betwen shifts even with the f22 trans. i have the h23 tranny mated up to my h22. i still have a code 22 so i have no vtec right now, but my shifts dont drop that bad at all. you defenately shouldnt have a problem. you just dont want it too low thats all. its not really healthy.
the h22 gears are longer than the h23. the f22 gears are longer than the h23.

P2U5 (F22) - 3.307 - 1.809 - 1.185 - 0.933 - 0.685 - 4.062
M2F4 (H22) - 3.307 - 1.950 - 1.360 - 1.071 - 0.870 - 4.266
M2S4 (H23) - 3.307 - 1.857 - 1.320 - 1.034 - 0.812 - 4.266

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
95hprelude said:
the h22 gears are longer than the h23. the f22 gears are longer than the h23.

P2U5 (F22) - 3.307 - 1.809 - 1.185 - 0.933 - 0.685 - 4.062
M2F4 (H22) - 3.307 - 1.950 - 1.360 - 1.071 - 0.870 - 4.266
M2S4 (H23) - 3.307 - 1.857 - 1.320 - 1.034 - 0.812 - 4.266
i know that, but ive driven the lude with the f22 and when your beatin on it, it didnt seem that you would fall past 5000 rpms between shifts.

·
Registered
14,553 Posts
mines at 4500. the tuner set it there on the dyno so i ask no questions, instead i enjoy it :aww

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
crdcz03 said:
mines at 4500. the tuner set it there on the dyno so i ask no questions, instead i enjoy it :aww
if i got a chipped ecu from phearable and asked for a basemap where the vtec is at 4800 do u think it would be safe to run on that for a while without actually tuning it?

also how much did u guys pay for tuning? 100/hr?

·
Registered
14,553 Posts
95hprelude said:
if i got a chipped ecu from phearable and asked for a basemap where the vtec is at 4800 do u think it would be safe to run on that for a while without actually tuning it?

also how much did u guys pay for tuning? 100/hr?
how long are you planning to wait?

if you're waiting till you can afford tuning then why not just keep the ecu under your bed until you can afford tuning. then when the time comes you just put her in and go to the dyno right after.

im not a fan of driving around not knowing if my untuned computer is causing a problem or not. id rather just put it in when the time comes and get it all done on the same day.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
crdcz03 said:
how long are you planning to wait?

if you're waiting till you can afford tuning then why not just keep the ecu under your bed until you can afford tuning. then when the time comes you just put her in and go to the dyno right after.

im not a fan of driving around not knowing if my untuned computer is causing a problem or not. id rather just put it in when the time comes and get it all done on the same day.
i hear ya man, unfortuantely for me, my stock ecu was bad so i ordered a chipped p28 from phearable and i dont know what the hell is up with the settings now. it doesent run bad or anything, i just dont know if its running optimal. i need to save some money for a tune.

·
Registered
335 Posts
mines set at 4400rpm with no dip in power before vtec. generally 4700-4800 is what takes the dip out on dynos of h22s with bolt-ons. i think i read somewhere on PO.com that if you have a test pipe u might have to drop it a little lower to take the dip out. but yeah just wait til you're ready to tune then put it in.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
I ran a chipped P28 for couple of days with a 4,000 rpm VTEC engagement point. The shit sucked ass I would have to push it to make it rev to 7k just to change and start all over again. The power would die down and the engine just didnt feel right. Since then I have changed computers 3x. I finally found one I really like. Its the JDM H22 Type S ECU. Activation is a 5k it feels great and I can rev to 7500 (never tried to go pass) without any loss in power plus with my H23 tranny I only drop to 4800 and get ready for smooth VTEC activation again. I wouldnt recommend anything lower than the 5k rpm engagement. Maybe if someone tuned it and found the perfect spot for your car because really every car is different.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
JDMaccord2k said:
I ran a chipped P28 for couple of days with a 4,000 rpm VTEC engagement point. The shit sucked ass I would have to push it to make it rev to 7k just to change and start all over again. The power would die down and the engine just didnt feel right. Since then I have changed computers 3x. I finally found one I really like. Its the JDM H22 Type S ECU. Activation is a 5k it feels great and I can rev to 7500 (never tried to go pass) without any loss in power plus with my H23 tranny I only drop to 4800 and get ready for smooth VTEC activation again. I wouldnt recommend anything lower than the 5k rpm engagement. Maybe if someone tuned it and found the perfect spot for your car because really every car is different.
those are probably really hard to find and go for lots of $$

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
95hprelude said:
those are probably really hard to find and go for lots of $$
Yeah they are very rare and highly expensive. I got lucky I found some punk kid who dished out the money for the swap. He couldnt drive for shit and knew nothing about the car. Always over reving and missing gears it was inevitable. I just waited for it to happen then showed up at his door when I heard it finally went and offered to take the ECU off his hands. Hes selling the rest of the car 93' prelude Si w blown H22 Type S motor for $1k :rolleyes

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.