Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up everyone? I have a 2000 Civic SI and i'm having a problem with my oil...I checked it the other day and there wasnt even a drop on the dipstick so I put a quart in it...It was fine after that. But last night I checked it again and it was back down to hardely nothing! So I put another quart in it. The car isnt leaking oil at all so im guessing it's just burning the hell out of it? Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Please help, thx.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
johnlude85 said:
bad valvetrain or bad piston rings. look underneath, is there any oil leaking? just cause it isnt a puddle of oil in the driveway doesent mean that its not leaking.
There isnt any oil anywere....I got under the car and looked a few days ago but didnt see any..I could have over looked it tho..

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
check your coolant overflow bottle and your radiator. look for oil in coolant.

·
Registered
79 Posts
is it synt. oil? bc synthetic oil will find its way out of anywhere adn everywhere on a EM1 they've been known for that.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
yeah, synthetic will sneak right out of places that humans dont even know about.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
i had the same problem......replaced rings and valve seals and haven't had that problem since then. now i'm not saying that'll fix it.......i'm just saying that was my problem. but mine didn't smoke, drop oil or nothing....but i had to check the dipstick everyday just to be sure i wasn't driving w/ low oil. but put in new rings and seals and it's all good now.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
killer B said:
i had the same problem......replaced rings and valve seals and haven't had that problem since then. now i'm not saying that'll fix it.......i'm just saying that was my problem. but mine didn't smoke, drop oil or nothing....but i had to check the dipstick everyday just to be sure i wasn't driving w/ low oil. but put in new rings and seals and it's all good now.
Sounds to me like that could be my problem.....How much was it to fix?

·
Registered
638 Posts
2Triple0SI said:
Well as of now im not hitting vtec at all for reasons I cant explain.....actually I think it's because the vtec controllers stock settings suck...but yea, anyway, I really dont ever redline my car....
You wont be able to vtec if your running on 1 quart of oil. My gsr does that. Well, I posted back a while ago about changing my oil breather chamber to see if there was a problem there cuz my oil was dissapearing too. I didnt cuz they didnt have it in stock and I had to finish my clutch job. So, the other day when i was doing my oil change i looked down on top of the chamber and what do you know, there is my pcv valve. Been trying to figure out how to get to it for a while now but I never really bothered to look at it from up top till that day. I changed it out that oil change and I just checked my oil this morning and guess what. I have about 3 quarts i guess, which at this point wouldnt even be on the dipstick. That pcv just fixed 80% of my oil issue and it cost me 8 bucks. A bad pcv will cause you to burn oil, I'd start there first and see what happens before you go rebuilding your motor.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dang Civic said:
You wont be able to vtec if your running on 1 quart of oil. My gsr does that. Well, I posted back a while ago about changing my oil breather chamber to see if there was a problem there cuz my oil was dissapearing too. I didnt cuz they didnt have it in stock and I had to finish my clutch job. So, the other day when i was doing my oil change i looked down on top of the chamber and what do you know, there is my pcv valve. Been trying to figure out how to get to it for a while now but I never really bothered to look at it from up top till that day. I changed it out that oil change and I just checked my oil this morning and guess what. I have about 3 quarts i guess, which at this point wouldnt even be on the dipstick. That pcv just fixed 80% of my oil issue and it cost me 8 bucks. A bad pcv will cause you to burn oil, I'd start there first and see what happens before you go rebuilding your motor.
I think I will start there especially sense it was only about 8 bucks....As for the vtec thing....I have more oil in it now, but it wont engage...Im pretty sure it's because of the stock controller settings because it did it once before...But my friend messed with it and got it working again..

·
Registered
20,271 Posts
2Triple0SI said:
What's up everyone? I have a 2000 Civic SI and i'm having a problem with my oil...I checked it the other day and there wasnt even a drop on the dipstick so I put a quart in it...It was fine after that. But last night I checked it again and it was back down to hardely nothing! So I put another quart in it. The car isnt leaking oil at all so im guessing it's just burning the hell out of it? Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Please help, thx.
are u sure ur filling it up right? fill up a quart den start the car. den clean the stick and check it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
NationsMostWanted said:
are u sure ur filling it up right? fill up a quart den start the car. den clean the stick and check it.
Yea, that's how I filled it up...Everyone that I talk to thinks I should replace the rings...I have a warrenty on the car so I think im going to see if the dealership will fix it because there are more things then just that wrong with it.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
2Triple0SI said:
Yea, that's how I filled it up...Everyone that I talk to thinks I should replace the rings...I have a warrenty on the car so I think im going to see if the dealership will fix it because there are more things then just that wrong with it.
How much did you pay for the car?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts