Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I got XP and its filled up and constanly having problems. And after i reformatted it with the cd and let XP do the formatting i changed over from FAT32 to NTFS. But I found out XP was using 13GB just for OS i think.

So I re did the format and tried to change it back to FAT 32, but it wont work.

So right now I want to change it back to FAT 32,

And also COMPLETLY WIPE that drive and get a fresh new install of XP.

But if i remember, whenI first tried installing XP i didnt have a startup disk that could load drivers for the CDROM to load the setup.exe on the WinXP disk.

And I remember trying to use the Win 98 startup disk but it says wrong platform.

So where can I get a start up disk?

·
Registered
376 Posts
If your version of XP is bootable via cd-rom then all you have to do is go into you BIOs settings and set your computer to boot up from the cd-rom. As soon as you restart with the XP cd in the tray everything should be smooth sailing that is if you did it right ;)

·
Registered
508 Posts
If you you created more than 1 partition you have to delete all the partitions then re-format.

If you can't boot from the CD use the 98 start-up disk and format to FAT32 and install WIN 98. Then put the XP disk in and do a clean install and let XP format to NTFS. If you want to dual boot create 3 partitions. 1 for 98 and 1 for XP and 1 to have blank. The blank 1 is so you can format the drive to a dynamic drive thru XP. I'm going buy Win2k operating system so I don't know if you'll have the same options.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Go to the Microsoft website and search for Windows Xp boot discs. Keep in mind that there 6 floppies that you will need if you want to install it corectly.

You only need to use the floppies if your CD is not Bootable. But it should be if it's an original. If it's a Copy then etiher make the cd bootable using NERO or just use the floppies.

A simpler way is to use The Village Idiots Windows XP boot disc. This floppy loads cd rom drivers and boots you to a command prompt. All you do then is change the directory to the location of the setup file .

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
131 Posts
the win98 disk works fine, just boot with no cd rom support, run fdisk, delete all the partitions, reboot from the floppy again, run fdisk again and create a partition, reboot and boot from the xp cd and run setup again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.