Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i used to b an accord fan till last week my car got totaled.. :bh ..because of bein hit by another car in the back of my car n slipin on black ice on a short distance eventually hittin a tree....the person hit me from behingd black ice in front i poped the curb hit a tree ......so the cars totaled n like iit cost more to fix than to buy a used one so blue book. :akuma ...but really i dont need a car currently im goin to college next year n i cant have a car for the first year soo...durin the second year 2 or 3 years from now i want to buy an PRELUDE!!!! im lookin to buy a 1991 or 1992 to 1995 prlude that look of the car....its curently like 3,000 to 4,000 $ what should i look for when i buy this car.......which better s or si, 4 whs or wtev.....n what type of engine is better when i buy it.....also how much do u think the price will depreciate cuz it a old car in liek 1-3 years? 500 $ or so.....also since its a old car what milage should i look for cuz on look obviously very few below 100k.....

overall do you guys think this is a good car to get in a couple years remeber im goin to b in college becuase of the normal college expenses.. n i wont have tons of cashh to spend on a the car cuz lata im goin to soop it um yea now :evil ......n this prelude its a sports car so it prob has power n obvioulsy a honda so reliability n gas milage would be good....cuz hondas ar :number1 please help .... also b4 i forget i drive auto not stick so that would also take off the performance of this car i know.....also what engine should the one i buy to have to be customizomble and get lots of hp

n srry for 2 post that say same thing acedetly posted 2 srry close the other one please..

·
Banned
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no man i dont know how to delete my own thread....as u can c im a noob...like it says under my screenname.....how about mileage....and does anyone else have anything more to add?

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
accord1999 said:
no man i dont know how to delete my own thread....as u can c im a noob...like it says under my screenname.....how about mileage....and does anyone else have anything more to add?

hondas are basically broken in by 100,000 miles! ;) :tu

well find something like 120k or under if possible, and findout how their mainteance records are like.

if you click on edit button on your first post in your thread, you will see that it will ask if you want to delete this message.

·
Banned
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
k thx man the prev messege gone :bye ....

·
Banned
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i went on http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/used/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/2176

is what they say true about the dash board assembly if true what ecatly cant u see or is harder to c?
"While a base-model Prelude's acceleration is only adequate, the Si feels snappy, and the VTEC is sports-car quick" ic an believe that my accord had a vtec

Cornering is flat and grippy, handling poised and responsive. Stopping ability is commendable, but lack of antilock braking on the S model is unfortunate. We haven't found that 4-wheel steering helps much, yielding only a small gain in maneuvering ease. Not many are around, anyway.

Brakes: The parking brake may not fully release because a rivet was installed too snugly. (1993-94)

Seatbelts/safety: Seatbelts may not retract or may retract slowly. Also, the button that keeps the seatbelt tongue from sliding down breaks. The belts should be serviced under the Honda Lifetime Seat Belt Limited Warranty. (1992-96)

Steering problems: The car may drift to the right on flat roads due to a faulty spool valve in the power-steering system. (1992-93)

Transmission noise: The transmission grinds when shifting into fifth gear due to mismanufactured shift fork. (1992-95)

can any 1 review the website tell me if its just negatively reviewed on this consumer report thing or what and....about the listed info above from the website aswell as the engine .....and model drifferences....like s...and si and si 4whs what the hell is 4 wheel steering how does it help stteerin its still not 4 wheel drive...ect.....which is better.....and tell me which engine is better in auto according to their chart...and remeber in the future obviously when i have the car and put add ons on it for perfomance i would obvoiusly be doing normal drivin and maybe a little bit of drifting n try some donuts and burnouts and def wille race once in awhile.....would the 4 whs fuk this all up cuz if u do major dirfts you can pop the axile and such?....thx ;) i know how to do the stuff i did it with my accord b4 it was demolished lol....sux ass that 1999 accord lx vtec 4 cyl was a gr8t car and had honda low gas mileage and relieblity ect.....sux.....

·
Banned
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thx man, i still want to know what model is better now between the last 2 posts i now want to get a 1993 like they said..does this model have a vtec or what is the best egine of this year for auto drivin.

i still want to know if the 4 whs really helps steering and is better to drive in the snow? what is the difference between the s and si..and what engine diff they have.

also any1 that has this year lude i did research they say that years had these prob...
Brakes: The parking brake may not fully release because a rivet was installed too snugly. (1993-94)

Seatbelts/safety: Seatbelts may not retract or may retract slowly. Also, the button that keeps the seatbelt tongue from sliding down breaks. The belts should be serviced under the Honda Lifetime Seat Belt Limited Warranty. (1992-96)

Steering problems: The car may drift to the right on flat roads due to a faulty spool valve in the power-steering system. (1992-93)

Transmission noise: The transmission grinds when shifting into fifth gear due to mismanufactured shift fork. (1992-95)

i want the dohc I4 2.3l 160 hp 156 torque which model has that?

also any1 that has this lude id this true?

Space up front is okay, but split-back rear seats really are tight--best left to toddlers--and the Prelude's skimpy trunk is tinier than before. Controls are conveniently placed and typically Honda-friendly, but Prelude instruments are annoyingly odd. Warning lights stretch all across the dashboard top, sitting too far to the right for easy checking while underway. Vacuum-fluorescent fuel and temperature gauges are near the center, difficult to read.

On the plus side, expect strong performance and good fuel economy. All engines are turbine-smooth. While a base-model Prelude's acceleration is only adequate, the Si feels snappy, and the VTEC is sports-car quick. The automatic transmission hurts performance only slightly, but it has poor shift quality and seems to wander haphazardly through the gears at highway speeds. Test stick-shift Si Preludes have yielded a reasonably frugal 23.1 mpg in daily driving.

Cornering is flat and grippy, handling poised and responsive. Stopping ability is commendable, but lack of antilock braking on the S model is unfortunate. We haven't found that 4-wheel steering helps much, yielding only a small gain in maneuvering ease. Not many are around, anyway.

Far different in appearance from its predecessors, Honda's sporty front-drive coupe was three inches shorter and two inches wider than the 1988-91 design. Two models were available. Base engine was a 135-horsepower 2.2-liter four. The sporty Si carried a new 2.3-liter twin-cam four, rated at 160 horsepower. Either engine may drive a 5-speed manual or 4-speed automatic transmission. New all-electronic 4-wheel steering marked the Si 4WS model. With this setup, rear wheels turn slightly in the same direction as the fronts, to improve cornering and maneuverability. A driver-side airbag was standard on all Preludes, while the Si 4WS added a passenger-side airbag. Antilock braking was standard on the Si, but not available on the S edition.
thx again ppl......lol see im a noob who wants to learn n wants the tech fact stuff lol :evil :rolleyes

·
Registered
403 Posts
did anybody actually read the first post he says he drives auto only. alright heres the deal everyone's gonna tell you to get the vtec model and from a performance standpoint their right unfortunately for you they only come in manual so either learn to drive stick or forget it. i believe only four models existed for the 4th gen preludes s, si, 4ws, and vtec. well from what i know the s model i think came with 140 hp, and the si came with 160hp now either of those models came in both stick and auto. now as for the 4ws model, 4ws refers to a little technological knick knack honda came up with to help in the handling of the prelude. basically what 4ws stands for is 4 wheel steering. in hard turns or cornering the rear wheels would actually turn into the turn slightly to help in handling. that models a lil harder to find but just to let you know its basically an si with a little better handling. and lastly the vtec model which came with 190 hp dohc vtec. the daddy of em all for that generation. produced from 93-96 its basically the one you would want for future upgrades and everything but like i said before it only came in stick. onn yeah one other thing to consider is your insurance. naturally whatever model you go with your insurance is going to be higher, and on a college budget every little bit helps. well hope this helps you out a little. and guys if i mistated anything or misquoted anything feel freet o correct it and no flaming im doing this all from memory and not an internet search :D .

·
Banned
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Banned
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Prices Good Average Poor
Prelude $3,200-4,100 $2,500-3,200 $800-1,000
Prelude $3,800-5,000 $3,100-4,100 $1,100-1,500
Prelude $4,400-5,400 $3,700-4,500 $1,500-1,900
Prelude 4WS/VTEC $5,400-6,100 $4,600-5,200 $2,200-2,500
Prelude $5,100-6,200 $4,300-5,300 $2,000-2,500
Prelude SE/VTEC $6,400-7,200 $5,600-6,300 $2,800-3,200
Prelude $5,800-6,800 $5,000-5,900 $2,400-2,900
Prelude VTEC $7,500-8,500 $6,800-7,700 $3,800-4,300

"A dual-overhead-cam 2.3-liter, rated 160 horsepower, went into the midlevel Si. High-performance VTEC Preludes, available from 1993 to '96, benefited from a dual-cam 2.2-liter with variable-valve timing, developing 190 horsepower.Except for the VTEC, which came only with 5-speed manual shift, any Prelude might have either a manual or an automatic transmission."-from the website posted b4...

are these preludes reliable....after when i get it theyll prob have over 100k on them... i know that some would have less than 100k but thats rare...im askin this because I know that after 1ook most cars start developing problems....

also if any 1 can stat an describe the differences of the (automatic) engines between the years of this gen car it would be much appreciated ...cuz i drive auto

·
Registered
403 Posts
There really is no difference between teh automatic and manual engines in each prelude model. The reason an automatic usually is slower is because of drivetrain loss due to the fact its an automatic transmission as well as it takes longer for an automatic to shift between gears. also usually automatics have 4 speed trannys whereas manuals come with 5 so a manual has shorter gearing to run through then an automatic.

·
Banned
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
k thx again man lots of help....

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
accord1999 said:
Is there any other documentation on this? Was there a recall? If this is currently happening to your car...What can you do about it?

·
Registered
832 Posts
accord1999 said:
"A dual-overhead-cam 2.3-liter, rated 160 horsepower, went into the midlevel Si. High-performance VTEC Preludes, available from 1993 to '96, benefited from a dual-cam 2.2-liter with variable-valve timing, developing 190 horsepower.Except for the VTEC, which came only with 5-speed manual shift, any Prelude might have either a manual or an automatic transmission."
Did you understand it? It says right there that VTEC's only came in 5spd and that everything else (S, SI, SE) came with 5spd or Auto.

Anyways- if you are stuck on an auto then I'd lean for a 94-95 SE. You get some of the comforts of the VTEC (leather seats mainly) and a few other things. The 94+ El Gauges look so much better then the previous years analog gauges. The revised console from the 94+ gets you a cupholder and looks better IMHO then the 92 or 93's. You're still OBD1 so you don't have as much to deal with in the 96's.

But come on, driving a stick isn't that hard and depending on the driver can be learned in 1 day of driving and practicing and in the end is well worth it.

·
Banned
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
iight i get it now ok thx every1 ill get a 1994 or 1995 ect... since itll have the vtec engine in in and i searched thay do sell it with auto..in those years....so then ill get the auto i was trying to c if i could get through this threads info...n better dashboard lighting and lether interior all goood :btu ............... on this car after i get it as i said in 1 to 2 years from now prob none of the cars u can find below 100k....like now....unless some old lady was drivin it to only chuirch on the weekend which woould l8ta result in the posiblility of it overheating ect...or it was totaled or shit was changed....anyway what milage should i look for i know prob close to 100k not much more.....n what milage on this car is ulsess to buy it....like what high milage would u think probs would come one afta another ect.... do you think its worth buyin a car that is from a private owner that visibly put mods on it? and/or if i get this type car insurance would prob b higher.....n wait i though since its a old car the insurance would b a lower cost too....

·
Banned
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
also another silly question to make smoke come from the tires on this type of car with a auto trans....you would pull emerg brake...... put in to nutral reve to like 4 or 5 rpm then put to d1 and put downn the emerg brake......thats like for a sec of smoke i did it all the time with my accord lol.....but how do u do a MEAN burnout with lots of smoke....first i know make the engine more powerful to make it better lol :aww

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
accord1999 said:
also another silly question to make smoke come from the tires on this type of car with a auto trans....you would pull emerg brake...... put in to nutral reve to like 4 or 5 rpm then put to d1 and put downn the emerg brake......thats like for a sec of smoke i did it all the time with my accord lol.....but how do u do a MEAN burnout with lots of smoke....first i know make the engine more powerful to make it better lol :aww

actually that is very very bad for auto trans. but in order to get more smoke, keep the gas pedal down and the rpms roaring at like 7 grand in D1. but its way much easier with manual trans. and manual is much much more fun to drive and faster than auto trans.

yes there were some auto 4th Gen VTEC's

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
accord1999 said:
aka "neutral drops" which = VERRRYYY bad for the tranny!!
so when you blow your auto tranny, time to drop in that 5 speed!! :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.