Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which are the stickiest street tires out there? I'm thinking the BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KD, Toyo Proxes RA-1, and what about the new Nitto Neo-Gens? How sticky are those? Are there any other stickier tires out there that are DOT legal and not drag radials?

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Falken Azenis - Best Dry Performance tires for the money

·
Registered
9,948 Posts
There are quite a few out there, such as:
Dunlop Formula-R D01J
Pirelli PZero Corsa
Advan A032R
Advan A048

I'd go for the Dunlop Formula-R D01J's.

By the way, how long will a set of, say, size 205/50R15 Falken Azenis's last, driven on the street every day for about 400km per week (20000km per year)?

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
With a tread rating of 200, I think it lasts about one year for the autocross people, which is pretty good. But for about 62 bucks per tire for 205/50R-15, I'd say performance for the money can't be beat.

·
Registered
431 Posts
How is the wet traction of the Azenis in comparison to the others mentioned above?
And anyone experience Bridgestone Potenza S-07's? I heard these offer both great dry and wet traction - correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
bruinteg said:

And anyone experience Bridgestone Potenza S-07's? I heard these offer both great dry and wet traction - correct me if I'm wrong.
the S-03s have amazing dry and wet traction
never heard of S-07s though

·
Registered
431 Posts
My bad - I meant the S-03's. By the way how is the tread wear assuming normal to fast street driving.

·
Registered
14,616 Posts
Kilika2k said:
...performance for the money can't be beat.
that's right, but they aren't the absolute best, just the best for those of us on a budget.;)

·
Registered
9,948 Posts
Bridgestone S-03's are much better than S-02's (I've always disliked S-02's for some reason). But they aren't a semi-slick tyre. The semi-slick tyre in the Bridgestone line-up is the RE540S & RE520S. The Dunlop Formula-R D98J (looks like an "S" on the tread) was replaced by the D01J.

How about the Falken RS-V04? Or did the Azenis replace this model?

As for wet performance, I would hazard a guess that the S-03 would beat any semi-slick.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
mls said:
Bridgestone S-03's are much better than S-02's (I've always disliked S-02's for some reason). But they aren't a semi-slick tyre.

As for wet performance, I would hazard a guess that the S-03 would beat any semi-slick.
the S-02s wet perfromance lacked so much compared to the S-03s

the S-03 is one of the best, if not the best, all-around max perf. tires for the dollar

·
Registered
9,948 Posts
I have a recent tyre test from a magazine & S-03's finished 3rd overall. Second was Pirelli PZero Nero & the winner was the Dunlop Formula FM901. Sizes tested were 235/45R17 on a Ford Falcon XR6 BA series vehicle (RWD).

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
mls said:
I have a recent tyre test from a magazine & S-03's finished 3rd overall. Second was Pirelli PZero Nero & the winner was the Dunlop Formula FM901. Sizes tested were 235/45R17 on a Ford Falcon XR6 BA series vehicle (RWD).
who conducted that test?
the fm901s are a joke, and they are so damn loud

here's a few test run by TireRack showing how the S-03s stack up
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/bs_s03_rd.jsp

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/gy_f1_gs_d3.jsp

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/max_max_perf.jsp

·
Registered
9,948 Posts
The test was done by Australia's leading performance motoring magazine, Motor.

Noise was not a factor in their test. I like FM901's, as they are cheaper on average to S-03's. If I had the dollars, I would take some Continental ContiSport Contact's, Pirelli PZero Giallo's or Dunlop SP Sport 9000's. Contrary to popular belief, PZero Rosso's are not better than PZero Giallo's. Giallo, although an older design to the Rosso, is still Pirelli's flagship high performance tyre. Rosso's are the quieter comfort versions of the Giallo.

Although I can admit that Bridgestone & Yokohama are really good product, I still tend to prefer Dunlop over them. Don't ask me why (it might have something to do with Yokohama/Advan being the tyre of choice for ricers...), but overall, when money holds no barring on choice, the European brands are probably the best. I'd take Yokohamas over Bridgestones though.

Whatever, nowadays, even the Korean brands like Hankook & Kumho are really good products, so you really can't go wrong with a tyre choice, regardless of your budget. The only think the Korean brands lack over the European or Japanese brands is brand/badge value. They are still behind the Japanese brands, but they are very quickly catching up. I wouldn't be surprised if the Korean brands equal or exceed the performance of the Japanese brands within a few years.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts