Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, if anyone has any suggestions on a specific compression ratio that would be suitable for a JDM integra type R going turbo I would like to hear your thoughts.... Also keep in mind that reliabilty and streetability are a major concern as I can't afford to blow a $4000 dollar motor!! Anyhow, I know of Gsr's on stock bottom ends that respond very well to boost and as of now I'm convinced that if I mimick the gsr's stock compression (using aftermarket pistons) I would get good results. However, I'm also told that even that high of a C/R which is I think around 10:1 would require me to run a very high octane fuel and this is not appealing to me. But, are there ways around this? Is it possible to tune other components to where I can safely run a 10:1 on pump gas? Let me know what you think!!!!:D

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
gurusan said:
Running low boost and Lots of tuning.

or, get low comp pistons.
low comp pistons only reduces the power per psi that your motor makes.
running low boost isn't a nessesity(sp?) you simply need to take care of and pay attention to your car. honestly you should do a search in the turbo forum and then make a thread there. you'll learn alot if you do a search first and they won't flame you as bad. be warned tho... this question has been asked 100,000,000 times b4.

·
Registered
64 Posts
You will be ok with 10:1 compression just make sure you tune it well. With higher compression you have to be more careful of detonation. If you are going to build the entire block and run lots of boost i would lower the compression to about 9.5:1 and get a thicker head gasket.

Imho the best thing to do is to not turbocharge your itr motor. But i am a purist so whatever. :p

·
Registered
222 Posts
i was wondering the same about the C/R but with a GSR going all motor. Whats recommended? Or just leave it the way it is?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For allmotor, you'd have great resullts going with some typeR
pistons,(JDM Integra) and assuming your cyl. head is stock, you'd end up with about an 11:1 c/r. Obviously, the higher the c/r the more power you'll end up with but I wouldn't go higher than about a 12:1 for a daily driver. Also, when you go beyond this level you'll have to consider things like extensive head work.$$$

·
Registered
64 Posts
CivicDragon916 said:
i was wondering the same about the C/R but with a GSR going all motor. Whats recommended? Or just leave it the way it is?
If the gsr motor is want you want get a jdm gsr swap. The jdm compression is 10.6:1 which will be better for na. That compression will make pretty good power and you could always increase it later if needed.

·
Registered
222 Posts
txhatch said:
If the gsr motor is want you want get a jdm gsr swap. The jdm compression is 10.6:1 which will be better for na. That compression will make pretty good power and you could always increase it later if needed.
well a gsr is what i already have. how much would a head gasket raise the C/R? was looking at spoons 2piece headgasket but im not sure by how much its raised, and if its even worth it?

big mac, yeah the head is all stock for now. the jdm itr pistons so far looks like the better choice. im just screwed though if i go nitrous down the road...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
true, go forged w/ same c/r.. by the way, a thinner head gasket
will only raise your compression by .1 or so.:eek:

·
Registered
9,111 Posts
CivicDragon916 said:
cool. thanks for the info guys!

temp, don't even get me started on you . . . lol

well honestly no one can tell you what C/R you should run until you disclose which cams you are going to run

·
Registered
9,111 Posts
infinatenexus said:
The higher the compression, the less turbo lag;)

watch out, when i said this in another thread people could not grasp the concept, their heads exploded and they then flamed me for knowing the truth

·
Registered
222 Posts
temp said:
well honestly no one can tell you what C/R you should run until you disclose which cams you are going to run
going with Jun Stage 1 cams. To go with that i've also got a skunk2 IM p&p to link up with the spoon 70mm tb.

·
Registered
9,111 Posts
CivicDragon916 said:
going with Jun Stage 1 cams. To go with that i've also got a skunk2 IM p&p to link up with the spoon 70mm tb.

i would say for that go w/ 11:1 compression

1 - 17 of 17 Posts