Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still trying to decide which actual car and model I should use for the foundation of my project. I.E. 1996-2000 dx, lx, hatch...... I can't decide. What would you recommend? Please list the strengths and weaknesses of each. Thank you!

·
Registered
49,788 Posts
dano104 said:
I'm still trying to decide which actual car and model I should use for the foundation of my project. I.E. 1996-2000 dx, lx, hatch...... I can't decide. What would you recommend? Please list the strengths and weaknesses of each. Thank you!
well.. lx and dx are non-vtec, ex's have vtec, but you can always do a swap, dx's tend to be bottom of the line as far as luxarys go.

(just purchased a 2000 civic ex, had a 93 lx, and now im in love :love )

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
yeah, basically the trim model is all about extras. if your project is gonna be a straight up weekend racer then it doesn't really matter. if you're looking for comfort and luxury extras like power windows, sunroof, etc. then i'd go with ex. i love mine. alot of people choose hatchbacks because of their lighter weight, again good for racing. but mostly its just what you want out of your car.

and as far as years go, 96-00 civics can be broken up into 96-98 and 99-00. most of this is just slight body differences. the 99-00 front bumper is a little more agressive, also the taillights and rear bumper are different. so again, if you dont care about cosmetics it doesnt matter, but if you want to add lip kits/are looking for show, then i'd choose the 99-00 civic. i have a 98 and have done alot of mods to convert to 99-00. hope this helps

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
according to posted specs, the lightest sixth gen is the DX coupe by something trivial like 10-15lbs.

·
Registered
47 Posts
dano104 said:
well if u can find an si go for that better stock engine ;)

·
Registered
148 Posts
What are you planning to do with the car? DD? Auto cross? Drag? There's not much of a difference, depending if you like a 4 door, 2 door, or 3 door... you're not going to get much performance wise from a sohc without boosting it... The front end changed in 99...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
nismoboi said:
What are you planning to do with the car? DD? Auto cross? Drag? There's not much of a difference, depending if you like a 4 door, 2 door, or 3 door... you're not going to get much performance wise from a sohc without boosting it... The front end changed in 99...
Yeah I know I'll have to boost what ever I build..... My tastes are more along the lines of auto cross more than drag. My overall plan will be to build a 250HP+ car that handles like it is on rails.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm using the 96 DX hatch for my project cuz of the fact that it's light and it was cheaper for me to get hold of than something with a VTEC motor already in it. It depends on the look you want and how luxurious you wanna ride.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
dano104 said:
Yeah I know I'll have to boost what ever I build..... My tastes are more along the lines of auto cross more than drag. My overall plan will be to build a 250HP+ car that handles like it is on rails.
The hatch only came in VX, CX, and DX. That should make your decision easier. If you want to aurocross, then get an Integra. A swap or turbo will screw you over class-wise. Do it and you WILL be competing against high horsepower cars that handle like they are on rails. If you want to compete, then get and Integra, MR2, or Miata. If you want a Civic, then go all out with a swapped lightweight '88 to '91.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
flyingtoaster said:
The hatch only came in VX, CX, and DX. That should make your decision easier. If you want to aurocross, then get an Integra. A swap or turbo will screw you over class-wise. Do it and you WILL be competing against high horsepower cars that handle like they are on rails. If you want to compete, then get and Integra, MR2, or Miata. If you want a Civic, then go all out with a swapped lightweight '88 to '91.
Autocross is just more my driving style, more than straightline drag performance anyway. I won't be competing in autocross events. I just want to build a fun, fast, suprising car. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
dano104 said:
Autocross is just more my driving style, more than straightline drag performance anyway. I won't be competing in autocross events. I just want to build a fun, fast, suprising car. Thanks for the help!
You should be thinking about whether you want an EF ('88 to '91), an EG ('92 to '95), or an EK ('96 to '00).

The EF is 150 to 200lbs ligther than a similarly equipped EG, but the only B series that will fit without special mounts is the first gen B16A. An EG is a little heavier, but any B series will swap right into it, and most Integra parts can be swapped over as well (suspension, dash). The EK is only 50lbs heavier than the EG and any B series engine will fit, but you will need an expensive OBD-II motor depending on emissions laws.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
flyingtoaster said:
You should be thinking about whether you want an EF ('88 to '91), an EG ('92 to '95), or an EK ('96 to '00).

The EF is 150 to 200lbs ligther than a similarly equipped EG, but the only B series that will fit without special mounts is the first gen B16A. An EG is a little heavier, but any B series will swap right into it, and most Integra parts can be swapped over as well (suspension, dash). The EK is only 50lbs heavier than the EG and any B series engine will fit, but you will need an expensive OBD-II motor depending on emissions laws.
EG or EK sounds like it would fit the bill, emission laws here are pretty lax, if non-existent. More likely an EK because I have no body work skills at all, I'm just good with a wrench, and anything mechanical.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
dano104 said:
EG or EK sounds like it would fit the bill, emission laws here are pretty lax, if non-existent. More likely an EK because I have no body work skills at all, I'm just good with a wrench, and anything mechanical.
Well, you're just as likely to find an EG hatch with no dings, just because they are much more plentiful than EK hatches. And you'd be suprised how many EFs are in perfect bodily condition.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.