Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I lowered my car but used a crappy set of coilovers and the stock shocks. i know that was a stupid idea but i was short on money to spend on the car and wanted it to look nice. so the ride is really bouncey and its starting to worry me. i'm considering getting the Tein Basic Coilover Kit
Tein

or the Skunk2 Pro Series Coilover Kit
Skunk2

but i can't decide on which one would give me the best handling and ride quality for my money.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah im starting to lean towards tein because i could upgrade parts and add an edfc. im planning on getting into auto-x very soon and wanted a good start for suspension. im also gonna get thicker sway bars and end links.

·
Registered
4,592 Posts
crazycrxtuner said:
yeah im starting to lean towards tein because i could upgrade parts and add an edfc. im planning on getting into auto-x very soon and wanted a good start for suspension. im also gonna get thicker sway bars and end links.
well, think of it like this. all tein makes is suspension, so it has to be made well, right?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah you have a point there. ill probably order the kit in a week when i get paid. ill post up some pics when i get it and install it.

·
Registered
894 Posts
crazycrxtuner said:
Correct me if i'm wrong, but I heard youc an't use the edfc on the basic coilovers because basics don't have dampening adjustablity. I think it starts from tein ss and up in order for you to use the edfc. But anywayz, tein > skunk2

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
terrylee79 said:
Correct me if i'm wrong, but I heard youc an't use the edfc on the basic coilovers because basics don't have dampening adjustablity. I think it starts from tein ss and up in order for you to use the edfc. But anywayz, tein > skunk2
yeah i know that you can change the shocks out and add pillow mounts.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
RedlinedDA said:
well, think of it like this. all tein makes is suspension, so it has to be made well, right?
All Jaguar makes is cars, and they weren't exactly well-made in the '80s now were they?

You could go with Omnipower and deal with spotty reliability, doubtful research and development, and IMO terrible customer service.

You could go with Skunk2, which doesn't exactly have the best reputation when it comes to suspension products.

You could go with Tein Basics, which have no damping adjustability and when you do upgrade to the SS shocks, are underdamped anyway.

OR you could go with Ground Controls and Konis, both of which have AWESOME customer service, virtually unlimited customization (and in the U.S., no less), provide superior damping and spring rates/height adjustment, and have been proven by thousands of SCCA Nationals-winning drivers/cars.

But it's your decision I suppose.

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
Ive got skunk2 in the rear and tokico 5 ways in the front. They handle AWESOME but to be perfectly honest... the ride quality BLOWS. I can feel every bump, and scrape on just about everything.

Go with Tein if ride quality matters to you.

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
White98LS said:
All Jaguar makes is cars, and they weren't exactly well-made in the '80s now were they?

You could go with Omnipower and deal with spotty reliability, doubtful research and development, and IMO terrible customer service.

You could go with Skunk2, which doesn't exactly have the best reputation when it comes to suspension products.

You could go with Tein Basics, which have no damping adjustability and when you do upgrade to the SS shocks, are underdamped anyway.

OR you could go with Ground Controls and Konis, both of which have AWESOME customer service, virtually unlimited customization (and in the U.S., no less), provide superior damping and spring rates/height adjustment, and have been proven by thousands of SCCA Nationals-winning drivers/cars.

But it's your decision I suppose.

i always thought omnipower had a great suspension rep. guess not. btw their customer service does really suck.

i'm not a fan of skunk2 either.

i feel tein is overrated.

i was going to suggest this 'cause we've covered it before, but i knew you would, so i just left it for you and your consistency continues :tu lol :hug

let me add though, from my perspective, if you're on a budget and don't mind having no ride height adjustability, go with the tokico ILK spring/shock set. they're 5way adjustable coupled with springs that drop 1.75" to 2". i've had the set for almost 2 years now and i absolutely love it. handling with the s/t bar in the back and a bit of weight reduction is awesome. however, when it comes time for me to replace it, i will experiment with derek's setup and see how i like it.

·
Registered
894 Posts
or you can get the neuspeed cup kit. Comes with neuspeed race springs with koni yellows. only 600 bucks. that's a bargain.

·
Registered
894 Posts
oops. sorry that's for only 7gen accord

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
flyracerx said:
i always thought omnipower had a great suspension rep. guess not.
That's probably what the Prodrag team thought before Omni suspension failed on a drag run and this happened when the car met the wall:

If that happens in DRAG, imagine an autocross...

This is what happened to another guy's Accord:

Mmm coil bind! Delicious!

And don't think you're safe from their camber kits either, which use pressed-in bushings rather than welded-in like stock. Isn't the point of aftermarket parts to be BETTER than OEM, not worse?

And another example:

I'm half-Taiwanese. Doesn't mean I want my suspension parts to be made there. *cough* Omni *cough*

flyracerx said:
btw their customer service does really suck.
I distinctly recall an Omni rep calling out the moderator of the H-T Road Race forum for a few pages, with very little to provoke him. He also refused to supply shock dynos for his new product - maybe they've never done one? Wait a minute, didn't Koni offer to pay for shipping both ways to have anyone on the forum send them any competitor's shock to dyno for comparison?

I have dealt with Ground Control and Koni directly, both as a customer and as a dealer. Every time, first-rate service, and I've never heard of anybody getting anything less. I also have won 4 of my last 5 autocrosses, due in no small part to my GC/Koni setup. It's what you want, trust me. Even mentioning them in the same sentence as Omni or Tein Basics is shocking to me. The fact that they were NOT mentioned/suggested until my post makes me want to cry. It's not like the setup costs a hell of a lot more... $850-900 shipped? Not that big of a deal.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i actually compared prices and its not to much more for GC and Konis. ill just have to wait a little longer before i can get them. but from what yall are saying its an excellent combo. screw tein.

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
White98LS said:
That's probably what the Prodrag team thought before Omni suspension failed on a drag run and this happened when the car met the wall:

If that happens in DRAG, imagine an autocross...

This is what happened to another guy's Accord:

Mmm coil bind! Delicious!

And don't think you're safe from their camber kits either, which use pressed-in bushings rather than welded-in like stock. Isn't the point of aftermarket parts to be BETTER than OEM, not worse?

And another example:

I'm half-Taiwanese. Doesn't mean I want my suspension parts to be made there. *cough* Omni *cough*

I distinctly recall an Omni rep calling out the moderator of the H-T Road Race forum for a few pages, with very little to provoke him. He also refused to supply shock dynos for his new product - maybe they've never done one? Wait a minute, didn't Koni offer to pay for shipping both ways to have anyone on the forum send them any competitor's shock to dyno for comparison?

I have dealt with Ground Control and Koni directly, both as a customer and as a dealer. Every time, first-rate service, and I've never heard of anybody getting anything less. I also have won 4 of my last 5 autocrosses, due in no small part to my GC/Koni setup. It's what you want, trust me. Even mentioning them in the same sentence as Omni or Tein Basics is shocking to me. The fact that they were NOT mentioned/suggested until my post makes me want to cry. It's not like the setup costs a hell of a lot more... $850-900 shipped? Not that big of a deal.
that's terrible, i had no idea. i hope that doesn't happen to my quicklutch i bought from them. i'm starting to get worried now though 'cause in the morning, the pedal is really low and i have to pull it up for it to get to normal position. we've bled the clutch system a million times and that problem's still around. it's like the engagement point moves down through the night or something, i'm pretty sure that's not normal.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
flyracerx said:
that's terrible, i had no idea. i hope that doesn't happen to my quicklutch i bought from them. i'm starting to get worried now though 'cause in the morning, the pedal is really low and i have to pull it up for it to get to normal position. we've bled the clutch system a million times and that problem's still around. it's like the engagement point moves down through the night or something, i'm pretty sure that's not normal.
Hate to say it, but those are pretty prone to leaking. Hope you fare better.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.