Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey what's up, hopefully within the next couple of months I'll be able to do an engine swap into my 92 Civic DX Hatchback, I'm just wondering which engine I should go with. It's either between a b16a2 or a b18c1. Most likely botch USDM unless I figure out how to get by smog with a JDm motor. I'm just wondering if the b18c1 is really worht the extra $1,000 or so. Would I really notice that much of a difference between the two motors. I've heard that b18c1 powered hatchbacks typically run a low 14 sec. 1/4mile with basic bolt ons. How far off would the b16a2 powered hatchback be behind it? Anyone know the answers to my questions?

·
Registered
56 Posts
B18C

i say go w/ the B18 as opposed to the B16.
it's got more hp and more diplacement.
you said it yourself low 14 sec 1/4 (if your that good).

that shit would go tight w/ a turbo too

·
Registered
103 Posts
it's all up to you, if you can spend the extra 1k go for the b18c. both engines have TONS of potential either way, na or fi. i have a jdm b16. it's hella fun. takes out a lot of people. either way you wont be dissapointed.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Re: B18C

LsVtecR said:
i say go w/ the B18 as opposed to the B16.
it's got more hp and more diplacement.
you said it yourself low 14 sec 1/4 (if your that good).

that shit would go tight w/ a turbo too
i agree with him for the same reasons.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
b16a or b18c

Hey Kaser, you said you have a jdm b16 in your 93 CX, i was just wondering what state you l;ive in, and if it passes smog? Also, what mods do you have done, and do you know what you run in th 1/4 mile? Thanks.

·
Registered
73 Posts
depends on what you want to accomplish and how low an ET you want. If you are just looking to throw a motor in and do 14's go with the B18C1. But both are very capable motors. what i can say about the b16 is the r/s of 1.74(almost perfect) versus the b18c r/s of 1.58(not so good). This means the b16 has more potential to rev higher which is good for all motor. But again stock vs. stock the b18c will be a better performer.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I figured out that I will be satisfied with high 13 sec 1/4 mile times. I don't wanna do much more than i/h/e/throttle body, clutch, wires and plugs. Just basic bolt on stuff. It's just going to be hard for me to get the money together, that's why I'm thinking b16. But If I can afford it, then definitely b18c. i'm going to have to go USDM either way because I live in California. With all of these bolt ons would i be able to get into the 13s with a USDM b16a?

·
Registered
73 Posts
if you wanna go 13's you are gonna need a little more than what u listed. you will atleast need cams and a tuned ecu and should look into an ignition. The cams for HP and the ecu to take full advantage of the cams more aggressive profile and vtec crssover. the intake, exhaust, headers, etc... will just complement the cams and ecu.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I didn't mean it like that, i wanna modify it but i still wanna pass smog. I know that the mods I listed earlier will not affect smog if I get the right ones. But I heard that some cams affect idle and wont pass smog. I just don't wanna have to worry about passing smog.

·
Registered
73 Posts
i wasnt trying to be a prick if thats the way i came off, my bad. I dont know for a fact wether it will pass veip where you are. Where i live, MD, all you have to do is roll in there with your car too low to get on the dyno and they write you off for the next two years. Your best bet would be to check with the manufacturer of the cam to see if it will pass emmissions.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok no problem, yeah cuz I live in California where the smog laws are like the strictest of anywhere to my knowledge. I just don't wanna ahve to worry about suprise smog checks and crap like that. I heard that skunk 2 cams and jg cams won't affect emmisions, but i'll have to check it out. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I know I am a little late getting in on this conversation, but I would go with the B18C. I think you would be happier with that setup. The extra .2 liter is very helpful when looking for power.

·
Registered
385 Posts
i say save up a little extra loot, fly to japan, and take a few days to find a b18c5!!! you can get a good deal on one, and you'll have 30 extra hp..... Then send it back to cali, and find someone to hook you up with your smog test.... Thats what i would do.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I am planning on a swap with a 92-98HB and a B16A. The reason I am going with this in the rod ratio is much better on the b16 and the weight will be saved although minimal I want to save it. I may also try to make a CTR right hand drive. But then again, the B18c pulls pretty good in my GSR. :D

·
Registered
623 Posts
well.....if ur worried about being smog legal, jus pay someone to smog ur car. if u live in cali, there is always someone around that does that. also, even if the i/h/e that u get can pass the actual smog test, ur car will still fail the visual inspection.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts