Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which has more potential for 10 ETs?

What do you guys think its more possible to hit 10s with in a 5th gen Civic? (im talking HIGH HIGH tens)

- H22 (92-97 Prelude)

- GSR

Now, I do realize that these kind of ETs are damn serious from little 4 bangers, and require extensive knowledge and funds, but I know its been done so im just want to know which has more potential to getting there.

I've heard that the H22 is a great engine for drag, due to the extra weight on the front wheels. People tell me it has great amounts of torque therefore excellent at producing low end power.

But the weird thing is I see more GSR hit 10s then H22s. Truth is I haven't seen one H22 hit 10s in person or on video!

Im kind of confused right now and would appreciate any knowledge you guys can help me out with.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
that's a no-brainer buddy H22A4 vs. B18C1....the H22 ALWAYS wins. 195 hp (H22) vs 170 hp (B18C1)...you do the math

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
probinu said:
that's a no-brainer buddy H22A4 vs. B18C1....the H22 ALWAYS wins. 195 hp (H22) vs 170 hp (B18C1)...you do the math
H22A4?

Never even heard of that...

If its that obvious then why do people tune out their GSRs???

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Hondan00b said:
H22A4?

Never even heard of that...

If its that obvious then why do people tune out their GSRs???
H22A4 is the USDM Prelude motor found in '97 + Preludes (DOHC VTEC)

Because that's their preference...why? The GSR isn't much slower than the Lude due to the Lude's weight ;) Ever heard of power to weight ratio?

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
the H22A (200HP) has considerably more torque and HP than the B18C1 (170HP), stock for stock. so in a Civic chassis the H22A SHOULD always be faster with the same mods.

H22A built with turbo setup, tuned Hondata, axles and slicks can get you there but chassis weight, aerodynamics and suspension also play a part. everything works as a system. fitting an H22A with turbo under the hood of a 5G Civic will need more $$ and time (mounts, axles, harness, custom parts etc.) but can be well worth it in the end. of course when you are going for 11 and 10 second runs then stuff will break over time.

later

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sweet said:
the H22A (200HP) has considerably more torque and HP than the B18C1 (170HP), stock for stock. so in a Civic chassis the H22A SHOULD always be faster with the same mods.

H22A built with turbo setup, tuned Hondata, axles and slicks can get you there but chassis weight, aerodynamics and suspension also play a part. everything works as a system. fitting an H22A with turbo under the hood of a 5G Civic will need more $$ and time (mounts, axles, harness, custom parts etc.) but can be well worth it in the end. of course when you are going for 11 and 10 second runs then stuff will break over time.

later
I once helped one of my friends install a GSR in his car... It went pretty flawlessly (only had to run out to Home Depot once), and he told me this was a first he did.

Now would I be able to swap an H22 maybe with his help or does it really require a lot of knowledge? :confused:

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hondan00b said:
I once helped one of my friends install a GSR in his car... It went pretty flawlessly (only had to run out to Home Depot once), and he told me this was a first he did.

Now would I be able to swap an H22 maybe with his help or does it really require a lot of knowledge? :confused:
as long as you have everything you need im pretty sure it wouldnt be that difficult, you should talk to absolutmugen, hes about to help out with a h22a in a 92 accord (i think its a 92?) so he should be able to tell you how it goes.
-back to the subject - h22a. i think you might see more b18c's running 11-10's becuase it is less expensive to build one up then a h22.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
GSR motor will get better traction.............i have raced a CRX (back in my street racing days when i was young and stupid....haha like 6 months ago).......with a H22 swap and i whupped on his ass like he was my step-child.....the h22 is too heavy for traction and steering on the street.......for some kick ass power with more streetability ITR motor would be the closest to a prelude swap as possible (lower torque of course)..........

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
the problem with the B20VTEC/LS VTEC is that you will have to do constant rebuilds on them due to the shitty R/S..........other then that they are fucking tite

·
Registered
705 Posts
i'm planning on a h22a for my 5g civic, plan on pullin 12-11 with some minor mods easily, depends on the mula, but then if you got the dough why not just get jdm h22 type-s (220 hp stock). i'll be savin for a while but keep us tuned in.:p

·
Registered
623 Posts
r/s ratio wont be a big issue as long as the motor is taken care of and the driver know what he/she is doing.

the problem w/ people who have frankestien motors is that they dont know how to handle the motor. If u slap any frank on a dyno, it will show that the driver should not rev passed more than 8k. The reason frank motors are blowing up all the time is becasue careless drivers rev the shit out of the motor. R/s ratio really shouldt affect the capability of frank motors becasue u dont need to rev them so high. I know guys that have had their frank motors for 2-3 years, and they have never had to tear their motor apart to rebuild.

just think of v-8s. u dont have rev them high at all and they make ass loads of power. this becasue of the torque these motors bring. That is also what frank motors are made to do. These motors are what make up for the lack of torque honda makes from factory.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
then riddle me this batman.....what in the flying fuck is the point of doing a frankenstein motor if you arent going to rev it high?...y not just get a LS block stroke it to 2.3L and boost it to 25 psi

·
Registered
623 Posts
do u know the reliabilty issues on stroking? can u even stroke a LS bottom end to a 2.3?? why not have started w/ a b20?? 25 psi...ok

the reason is all persons preference?? why do people build all-motor cars and some turbo/SC/NOS?? why not everyone just fuckin do all 4 at the same time??

Its also the physics of how all-motor and forced induciton works. How come turbo drag cars seem to break off 10s and high 9s, while all motor people like Skunk2 and Ericks racing are right on their ass w/ 1/2 the HP.

·
Registered
623 Posts
another thing....whats the point of revving high when u dont make power. I doubt u can rev ur LS that high....why didnt u get a ITR or b16 and rev the shiet out of those motors. Does everything really need to rev high.

Like i said frank motors fill in the torqueless feeling of what honda makes from factory. Just cause u cant rev it high doesnt mean it isnt worth it.

ill give u a riddle......why buy a GSR or ITR when i can build a b20vtec swap complete that makes more tq and hp than both and cost much cheaper than both...and yes..it will be reliable

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
maguiars integra type r is SC and turbo.........because B20vtec motors are NOT reliable....change the crank and the rods then you have something

·
Registered
623 Posts
swapping cranks does work, but u affect desplacement and lower it. The people on CRVTEC.com also say to keep the stock crank. relaibility is all in the builder of the motor and driver. one w/out the other causes the motor to go bad

ok like meguiars is gonna run their car anytime soon...c'mon..they make wax and soap.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts