Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok... usa Si cost 19k mrsp price and the canada SIR cost 25500 is canadian money which is equal to around 17k US money... so say i buy a SIR in canada and pay to ship it to usa southern california, would it be cheaper in the end? just asking.. thanks

·
Registered
47 Posts
plus the SIR has ANTILOCK BREAKS wich i am pissed about.!! i want antilock breaks..i think that is bullshit...is there a way for me to get anti lock breaks...??? sounds pricey though

·
Registered
46 Posts
Trust me ... the ABS isn't all that.

Most of the people I've talked to up here in Toronto can't stand the ABS, myself included. It activates WAY too early ... WAY too sensitive.... and the sounds it makes sounds like your axle's about to snap ... boing, spring, pop, crunch .......

If it would have taken a few thousand off the cost of the SiR when I originally got it .... I would've rather had upgraded rotors and calipers.

Just don't like the ABS ..... at least, not in the SiR..... other ABS systems seem much better .......

·
Registered
290 Posts
I like my ABS, but it takes getting used to. If you drive your SiR on the stock summer tires during the winter then I know why your ABS activates early. Cuz those tires suck ass for cold conditions.

I have a good set of winter tires and my ABS rarely comes on unless I am on really icey patches.

BTW, I am not sure which Si/SiR you are talking about here. But the 6th Generation is no available as new anymore. That is 1999/2000. The 7th generation and current model does not have an SiR equivelant. The closest thing coming out is the new SiR hatchback.

Both the Si/SiR in a 6th generation are fairly close. The SiR has heated mirrors and of course ABS as the major differences. But you won't find one of these new anymore. Price wise I would think it's going to work out pretty close. Our models were a little more expensive and don't forget, you are going to have to pay our taxes when you buy it here.

·
Registered
290 Posts
HCSiR said:
sorry no .. crappy XGTs .. on mine.

Have Pirelli Wintersports ..... so still .... I don't like the ABS .
I've seen a lot of people complain about the ABS. Frankly, I think most of them don't know what they are talking about. ABS is a great feature but it's like anything, you need to know how to use them. I've seen extensive testing with ABS systems and in all but a few instances ABS out perform standard brakes so I have to chuckle everytime someone says they don't like them.

BTW, I live in Saskatchewan and I highly doubt your winters are worse than mine and ABS with winter tires on my SiR is a fine combination. I have no complaints and I have owned cars with and without. To each his own, I guess next time you buy a car you will have to get one without to suit your preference.

·
Registered
290 Posts
HaM said:
so would it be cheaper? ?????
Read my commentes above. If you are talking about a 6th generation it's a moot question. You can't buy either of them new anymore. If you could still find one at a dealer it would likely work out pretty close in the end but you get to pay all the wonderful tax we have here. So would it be cheaper, probably not.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
im talking about the new 2002 civic SI, over here in US, they over price the Si for 19k but over in canada, its only 17k and i was just wondering of u buy it in canada and get it ship would it be cheaper

·
Registered
290 Posts
HaM said:
im talking about the new 2002 civic SI, over here in US, they over price the Si for 19k but over in canada, its only 17k and i was just wondering of u buy it in canada and get it ship would it be cheaper
Where did you hear it is only $17K in Canada? The info. I have seen on the net does put the U.S. Si at about $19K, but you can bet it's not going to be that cheap in Canada. Our 1999/2000 SiR's were around $24K, so the new SiR in Canada is going to be around that range.

If you buy a car in Canada and take it across the border I am not sure what all costs are involved. There will be duty and whatever else the government can think of. Plus when you buy it here you have to pay our taxes, which in most provinces start at about 10%, some are more even.

In the end, I'd have to say no, it's not going to be cheaper. Maybe about the same, and possibly even more.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Well I was going to direct you to another forum so you could read their thread about the announcement of the price of the SiR but since SHO has a fucking bug up their butt and blocks other websites I will just cut and paste it for you.

Yes, Mike SHO, you should be ashamed of yourself that you feel the need to block out other websites in your forums. Makes you look pretty insecure.

-----------------------
Toronto - Honda Canada announced yesterday that the all-new, European built 2002 Honda Civic SiR three-door will be sold in Canada with the manufacturer's suggested retail price of $25,500.

The SiR is powered by a high-output 2.0-litre engine utilizing Honda's next generation i-VTEC engine. Combining Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control (VTEC) technology with Variable Timing Control, the powerplant delivers 160 horsepower and 132 lb.-ft. of torque - the most ever for a Civic sold in Canada.

A unique feature about the SiR is the mounting of the transmission shifter onto the dashboard "rally style" for quick and easy operation. The shifter is mated to a close-ratio, short-throw 5-speed manual transmission.

Built at the Honda of the UK Manufacturing plant in Swindon, England, the 2002 Honda Civic SiR is set to arrive in showrooms at Canadian dealerships in early April.
-----------------
Courtesy of chunky @ H O N D A V I S I O N . C O M

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
maniac... yes the canada SIR is 25500 but isnt that in canadian money though? 25500 in canadian money is equal to 16,173.02 US money. so it around 3 gs cheaper or is 25500 us money which a highly doubt.

·
Registered
290 Posts
HaM said:
maniac... yes the canada SIR is 25500 but isnt that in canadian money though? 25500 in canadian money is equal to 16,173.02 US money. so it around 3 gs cheaper or is 25500 us money which a highly doubt.
Don't forget about 10% taxes and then whatever duty and extra fees they charge you to get it across the border. You just don't walk onto our dealership lots and pay the sticker price. $25,500 + 10% tax + duty will likely equal closer to $29,000 CDN. That is about $18,500 U.S. You do the math, it doesn't take a genious.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hey still cheaper... us is 19k plus bullshit markup and tax 22-23k... but i was just wondering thats all... thanks though

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
All i have to say is i hate ABS XD the sound my moms van makes is bbrrrr brrrrr. Everytime i hear that i laugh my ass off.

·
Registered
290 Posts
w1ngzer0 said:
All i have to say is i hate ABS XD the sound my moms van makes is bbrrrr brrrrr. Everytime i hear that i laugh my ass off.
Because they make noise when in operation does not mean they don't work. You hate ABS for what reason? Because they actually help a driver keep their car under control when you stop or because they will stop you faster than non-ABS setups? There are a few instances where not having ABS does get you shorter stopping distances but in each of those cases you can't control the stop.

I can understand a person having a personal preference but hating ABS for the sound it makes is pretty lame.

Ignorance is bliss I guess.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts