• Vortech Supercharger

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Jackson Racing

Votes: 18 72.0%
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
OOOPS!!! i voted for vortec by accident-- i was thinking about what my response would be-- take that one vortec out!!! hahahaha. If you would rather get vortec instead of jrsc, get turbo instead... you'll actually stay in max boost, unlike vortec which is at 7900 rpms. I will be getting my jrsc in a few months.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So far it looks like Jackson Racing before I heard of the vortech supercharger I was very interested in it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
JRSC all the way... poor tuning issues, but the kit works reliably, even if its at the expense of slightly more power.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now lets all talk about the Pros & Cons of each. I would like to know why people think the way they do.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Saitoh... OK well read what I just put in your other post... Why jrsc is better then vortec... flat torque curve... Vortec's torque is just like its HP... steeper then a mountain. Of course vortec's gona have more hp... It's a belt driven turbocharger. For the people who like or are considering vortec... I say just go turbo. You'll be much happier and get much better power results then from vortec. If you want an easy daily driver, with torque from our torqeless 1.6s or 1.8s, the jrsc help out alot... and it also get you decently fast. If you want to be an all out drag racer, jrsc is not the way to go... and vortec diffinately isn't the way to go. If you want to do that go nos or turbo. It's as simple as that.

On the other post I replyed on jrsc had a higher power til i think about 6000 or 6500. Unless your everyday driving is around 6000 or 6500 your gona have the same power as stock bassically. Vortec builds boost with rpms... it reaches peak boost right before redline, even turbo is in peak boost for a longer time.

Also remember that vortec has an aftercooler. Way before the site orginally went down, some guy that has some shop dyno'ed a vortec gsr at i think 7psi made about 220hp. Now if you do jrsc at 8psi(i dont think you can find pullies for 7?) plus the mods the car had-- and I remember thinking OMG thats a sh*t load of mods!!!! I'm confident the jrsc can make the same if not more power at a better curve then vortec did.

Where's neo?? Does he know the site's back up? I remember he was the best at convincing people how much a pos vortec is. He even scared away the guy from vortec posting up some badass reasons why vortec sucks. HAHAha

·
Registered
6 Posts
Do you have or know where I can see some dynos on that? Cause the ones I'm looking at show the JRSC raising torque 37.5% at 3500 RPM and the Vortech raising 75% at 3500. From there the Vortech torque shoots almost straight up all the way to redline. The JRSC goes up about another 20 Ft-Lbs and then drops back off. The dyno I have for the vortech also shows the boost pressure. It starts out at 6 psi at 3000 RPM, drops down to about 5.5 psi for the next 2000 RPM, and then pops back up to six for the rest of the powerband. With the boost and torque curves in this dyno the only place this car would feel turboed is when the VTEC kicks in.
The only problem here is, the dynos I am looking at don't match each other. The JRSC dyno has the stock numbers for a 99 SI about 15 Ft-Lbs higher than the chart from Vortech, which suggests that the Vortech makes even more power than this when rated on the same scale.

·
Banned
139 Posts
Yeah, I know the site is back up, but I got a new home now.

Take these people's word for it. The Vortech is a very bad investment.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Saitoh

Take a look at your other post http://www.superhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2288

I gave the charts. Now you say vortec made 6psi at 3k rpm??? Not possible. Vortec is a centrifugal(sp??) supercharger... it builds boost with rpms. (EDIT: Scratch what I just put here... wrong info). I just know that boost isn't constant for vortec. It builds.... that's why the dyno charts are so steep. Are you sure your looking at vortec's dyno?

Can you show us the dynos your looking at?

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Saitoh said:
Once again, I have to ask, does anybody have any dynos that suggest that the Vortech doesn't live up to it's claims?
The only proof I need is that even though it makes more power, for the price it cost, it can only match some JRSC equipped cars 1/4 time. I mean a 14.4 on the SI? :p

And did I mention the JRSC cars will kill it in a auto-X and rad race course? :D So even if the HP's are way higher than the JRSC on paper and the dyno, it sill loses in reality.

Saitoh said:
... the Vortech torque shoots almost straight up all the way to redline...
Exactly what he mean be JRSC flatter torque and Vortech rises like HP.

Saitoh said:
Do you have or know where I can see some dynos on that? Cause the ones I'm looking at show the JRSC raising torque 37.5% at 3500 RPM and the Vortech raising 75% at 3500.
The Vortech may make more at that point in the rpm on afterwards, but thats not the whole point. The point is the JRSC has a flatter torque curve and has more usable power.

·
Registered
6 Posts
OK, I'm comparing these two dynos...
http://www.redlineautosport.com/images/drivers/laurebernal/DYNO_2000CivicSi.jpg
and...
http://www.clubsi.com/dyno_jrsc_2.shtml

The JRSC has around 15 ft-lbs more torque than the Vortech from 2000 to 4000 RPM. From 4000 until 5500, the JRSC only has about 5 more. Once the VTEC kicks in the Vortech pulls ahead dramatically whereas the JRSC looks like it practically disables the VTEC.
I watched my Tac today and even in moderate traffic, once I was out of first gear, I never dropped below 4000 RPM. When accelerating hard I never drop below 5500. Now, first gear at 4000 RPM is about 20 miles an hour, so, obvioulsy, the Jackson would be great for accelerating from 0-20, say, in a parking lot or something.
The power band of a stock Civic Si is from 5500 to 7800. It averages about 90 ft-lbs of torque.
The power band of JRSC Civic Si is from 5000 to 7800. It averages about 130 ft-lbs of torque.
The power band of a Vortech Si is from 5500 to 8000+. It averages about 162 ft-lbs of torque.

Honda designed the B16A to rev high and I love it like that. If the choices are:
get the JRSC and hang with WRXs
or
get the Vortech and beat Corvettes,
I think I'm gonna stick with the Vortech.

·
Registered
6 Posts
By the way, thanks everyone for providing real information. It's amazing how hard it is to find people who actually know anything about engines. 99% of the forums I've been to have just been rice-boys ranting about stomping Camaros and Camaro owners ranting back about stomping Hondas. Thank god there are people who actually understand torque curves and power to weight ratios and such.

·
Registered
199 Posts
All I'm sayin to you is that you rant and rave about how much more power vortec makes compared to jrsc. But you do you realize theres a much better approach to making power? Turbo! Those 10sec daily driven hatchs out there aren't vortec s/ced. They have turbo! If you like to rev.. turbo is allready all spooled up in those rpm range-- jrsc wasn't meant to be a killer in the 1/4 track.

·
Registered
157 Posts
screw those weak superchargers and turbos! i like the E-RAM, Electric Supercharger, boosting a whole 1 psi at WOT!!! I'll smoke all you fools with it!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts