Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
I was wondering which would be better to turbocharge with the Greddy kit +FMIC a Civic EX or a Civic LX. Some kid was saying that the VTEC in the EX may interfere with the turbo. I didn't know if he was right though. Also, around how many miles would be too much to turbocharge the car. Thanks.

· Registered
320 Posts
The kid is dead wrong. The D16Z6 is by far the best SOHC Honda motor to turbocharge. The VTEC will not interfere with the turbo, unless they both happen to engage at the same time, but that is highly unlikely...and if they do, but a VTEC controller, and raise the VTEC activation point 500rpm. But you won't have any of these problems.

There is no concrete number that says you can't add a turbo after it. The only way to tell is to have a compression test done, and a general diagnostic. If the motor is in good shape, even if it has 150,000 miles on it, it is still safe to turbocharge.

· Registered
302 Posts
If you have a lot of miles you would want to go with a kit that offers some safety nets that add to the longevity if the engine. But nothing beats good tuning.

I like to use this board to talk about my favorite thing in the world performance and I don't want to just plaster the board with my URL so if you are in need of some further information, please e-mail me at [email protected] and I will help. I don't want to be seen as one of those, you know, people, that reply to every post with their URL.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Man,
Thanks for your reply. I'm glad to hear it because i'm planning to get a civic ex with around 76,000 miles. Do you know for around how much a compression test should cost? What kind of readings would be good enough for a turbo without compromising too much reliability. I was planning to spend around 12,000 dollars altogether including upgrades. I was planning to buy a civic, get the turbo, exhaust and i didn't know what else. Have any better suggestions or ideas? I was looking for times around mid 14's to low 15's, but i didn't wanna compromise reliability too much. Thanks again!

· Registered
320 Posts
$12,000? Shit man, you can have a lot.

Find yourself a 92-95 Si...Less than $5,000...

That leaves you with $7,000 or so.

GReddy kit, intercooler, fuel, ignition, engine management, wheels, etc...You will be good to go. That little GReddy powered D16Z6 can do wonders, no doubt, easy 12 second car...

· Registered
419 Posts
Hey MaTT3/T4 was wondering was you think is the max safe boost on a stock d16a when I say stock I mean standard compression to. Most people say 8 psi max, what do think for a daily driver that has to last awhile. Thanks for any help.

· Registered
320 Posts
On a D16A, with a GReddy kit...I would not go past 10 or 11psi. But even to go that high, you will need fuel and ignition, and maybe a V-AFC to help out. On a bone stock D16A, I would not even exceed the stock 5.5psi, or you WILL detonate. Hell, I wouldn't even apply the turbo kit until you have your ignition and fuel...

· Registered
419 Posts
I am getting her dyno tuned plenty of fuel and the ignition timing will be set correctly. So 8psi everyday standard compression will be sweet ? My setup is below. Its a d16a the standard compression is fairly low already 9:1. Thanks for the help

· Registered
419 Posts
7 psi are you goner go any higher? with the engine stock.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.