Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have no idea which one would win. this is a problem me and my friend are trying to solve. he thinks that an Accord V6 will win, while i think the Civic Si will win. The Accord weighs considerably more and it only avaiable in Automatic trans while the civcs weighs less and comes with a 5 Speed Manual. Besides that the Civic only has 40 less HP?

please help me to find an answer thanks

· Registered
355 Posts
Civic Si: (160 HP * 0.85) / (2601/2000) = 104.6 wHP/ton
Accord V6 (155 fwhp) / (3329/2000) = 93.1 wHP/ton

You would think that the Si would win from looking at the numbers (where does an Si dyno at stock exatcly), but Accord V6'ers actually tend to beat Civic Si's much more often than not.

Why?

Powerband and torque. The Si has a pathetically small amount of torque (111 lb-ft??) and an extremely narrow powerband centered above 7000rpm where most of the engine's power is. Either car can win, and it just depends on how good (or bad) the Si driver is. If they short-shift at 7000rpm they're going to lose. If they shift right at redline, don't hit the rev limiter, and shift very well then they can win.

BTW, the new Si's suck. Mid-16's stock?? Yuk. A lot more weight and no more horsepower. I bet the 99-00 Si owners are really happy about their resale value :D

I ran into an Si the other week. He didn't want to play :(

· Registered
74 Posts
Raced a Si a few nights ago...

I had a friend in the car and we hit up a Si at a stop sign. From 0-80 we were side by side, and once my Accord hit 80 we started to pull away... And that is on 18"s, 150 lbs friend, and a POS intake!

· Registered
134 Posts
Me n my roomie race all the time. He has a 99 SI with ACT extreme pressure plate and street disc clutch, I/H/E. I have the mods listed below which is basically I/E/tranny cooler/Plugs.

All the time it depends on if he shifts right/ gets a good launch. Once off the line, both of our cars basically move at the same rate, with me pulling away VERY VERY slightly at about 73-75.

Its a close race, and it depends on the launch and the driver. I'd say that its 50/50 all the time.

· Registered
372 Posts
The Accord will get the Si on top end. I've raced one as well, and we were virtually even up til about 80. After that I start to pull away. I had just an intake, and he had intake and exhast.

· Registered
313 Posts
Its 100% dependent on the person driving the Si.

My closest win yet was against a Civic Si with i/h/e/p and I only won by .054 seconds at the track (He had a better reaction time too)

· Registered
29 Posts
The Si will win if they're both stock. trust me I know. I raced my friend who has a 99 Si a million time(actually maybe 30). He would always get me by two car lenths(one from my front to his rear). But when I had CAI and headers and he had an intake, I won, but it was close until about 85mph.

· Registered
54 Posts
I am a founder of ClubSi and just about a charter member of v6accord.com. I have run both cars (99 Civic Si and 98 Accord EX V6 sedan) at the same track bone stock and modified.

You can see info on my old Si at http://go.to/redinkracing

My best time in the Si bone stock was 15.88. My best time in the Accord bone stock was 16.1 or so. With just an intake on a cold day, the Accord ran a 15.80, and that best time in the Si was also in sub-50 degree weather. (I never ran the accord with a factory intake in cold weather.)

So it really comes down to the driver, the weather (Accord will probably benifit more as the temp drops below 50) and how long you race (my times are all obviously for the measured quarter mile.) I'd be willing to bet on the Accord on the street most of the time because the automatic makes the Accord driver skill level less of a factor. And as the speeds climb, I think the long legged accord would have an edge over the short geared Si.

Couple more facts...typical chassis dyno numbers for a stock Si are around 138 wHP. And with the short gearing in the Si, the narrow power band isn't that much of a handicap in the quarter. You get into the vtec and the power comes on pretty quickly. And you stay on the vtec all the way through the gears if you shift at or near the redline. With boltons, Si's have been clocked as quick as 14.9 but that was with a VERY good driver and, I think, some good rubber on 15" rims.

· Registered
313 Posts
Excellent post TOF!

Its nice to have a few leveled headers members around thta have experience with both cars in question. :)

· Registered
215 Posts
SteVTEC said:
Civic Si: (160 HP * 0.85) / (2601/2000) = 104.6 wHP/ton
Accord V6 (155 fwhp) / (3329/2000) = 93.1 wHP/ton

You would think that the Si would win from looking at the numbers (where does an Si dyno at stock exatcly), but Accord V6'ers actually tend to beat Civic Si's much more often than not.

Why?

Powerband and torque. The Si has a pathetically small amount of torque (111 lb-ft??) and an extremely narrow powerband centered above 7000rpm where most of the engine's power is. Either car can win, and it just depends on how good (or bad) the Si driver is. If they short-shift at 7000rpm they're going to lose. If they shift right at redline, don't hit the rev limiter, and shift very well then they can win.

BTW, the new Si's suck. Mid-16's stock?? Yuk. A lot more weight and no more horsepower. I bet the 99-00 Si owners are really happy about their resale value :D

I ran into an Si the other week. He didn't want to play :(
I got a video clip of some civic with a multi-gauge pod and unknown mods. It's just about as fast as an AV6 judging by the numbers on the speedo (it's one of those cam-in-the-car jobs, he seems to do 0-60 in seven point something seconds). In fact it has slightly more top-end than our cars.

'Course, the guy was shifting at 8,000RPM, a full thousand RPMs into the red zone. He went into second at around 37MPH. Judging by the sound in the cabin, he probably had exhaust. I didn't hear the *PSHHHT* of a blow-off valve. Dunno what else he has.

Pure idiocy, if you ask me.

Various Civics have tried to fuck with me on the onramp. When the drivers see me rushing ahead, even up a steep incline, relentlessly packing on speed, they always give up... *ALWAYS*. Those things have no torque.

· Registered
134 Posts
I just came back from the back roads near my house, and me and my roomate just raced. We got someone else to drive his car cuz hes not the greatest. One of my friends who is an awesome driver drove the SI. Well, as I said before, it all depended on the launch. Me n the SI were RIGHT next to each other once off the line. It was a dead even race. It is a quarter mile stretch, and it was even.

We got a video cam out there, but it ran out of battery when we were runnin, so we got a few crappy runs where he was trying to find a good launching point on the SI. I still think that they will be dead even. We are going out to race again tommorow night with full batteries for the camcorder so that we can video the races. It probably will be even again, and all depend on the launch. Hopefully I can convert them to MPEG and post em up... Anyone know how to do that? Any programs that you can use to do this?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.