Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, we touched up on this a long while back and I never went through because of situations that came about, BUT..... NOW i can't find the thread.

I have a 00 LS coupe (TOTALLY STOCK SUSPENSION), and was told the rear sway bar is 12mm on this car, and the front is 24mm.

i want to upgrade the rear sway bar slightly, to say, 19mm - 22mm. But I know to go with the ITR 22mm rear sway bar, I would need a reinforcment kit right???

Do you know if 19mm would? And do you know who makes 19mm sway bars at a good price??

MY OBJECTIVE: I am at a loss for suspension knowledge... but because I live in complete flood zones I can not lower the car with new shocks and springs, etc. I need to remain at stock height but want to eliminate some body roll on the windy roads I drive... figuring upgrading the rear sway bar, and adding strut bars might help??

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
19mm won't require any strengthening and S/T makes a great package that comes with 25mm up front and 19mm in the back as well as mounting plates for the rear just for reassurance. however, you already have 24mm in the front, so just going with the S/T rear and some new bushings in the front would do wonders, but it's up to you if you want the front bar too. you'll need a shop to install the rear bar unless you're very experienced with working with suspension. :tu

edit: strut bars will help, but don't expect that to make all the difference. sway bars are where it's at :number1

if you don't want to lower too much, you can go with some adjustable shocks and some tein h or s-tech, or h&r sport springs. better yet, go with some adjustable coilovers.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah i've been browsing ti for a while and came across that link... but am not really sure about the DIY aspect of it BECAUSE I don't have the time to make sure I do it right... im zoom zoom zoom :) soo... I need something I can just pick up and get someone to install.

Any places to find the ST sway bar pretty cheap??? Just needing the rear 19mm one, and possibly some bushings to stiffen the fronts.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
flyracerx said:
19mm won't require any strengthening and S/T makes a great package that comes with 25mm up front and 19mm in the back as well as mounting plates for the rear just for reassurance. however, you already have 24mm in the front, so just going with the S/T rear and some new bushings in the front would do wonders, but it's up to you if you want the front bar too. you'll need a shop to install the rear bar unless you're very experienced with working with suspension. :tu

edit: strut bars will help, but don't expect that to make all the difference. sway bars are where it's at :number1

if you don't want to lower too much, you can go with some adjustable shocks and some tein h or s-tech, or h&r sport springs. better yet, go with some adjustable coilovers.
Every word of that is good advice. And yes, definitely get a shop to quote you a price they will stick to on the install.

Your stock bars for '00 are 24/14mm, same as the GS-R. '94-99 came with 22.1/12.9. I'd definitely go with 19mm instead of 22mm especially with a higher and presumably softish suspension setup. There was a thread on H-T last week about a guy re-welding his rear subframe for the 3rd time with just a 22mm ITR bar. The solid construction and included polyurethane bushings with the S/T bar make it that extra bit stiffer too. Make sure the shop greases the snot outta those bushings.

I had Neuspeed Sofsport springs - same rates as Sport but only 1" lowering - and Tokico blues with the 25.4/19mm S/T setup and it handled quite well if a little soft/slightly too understeery. The H&R OE Sports are essentially the same but a little stiffer, especially in the rear which will lessen understeer - should be a great street setup with some good shocks. My Tokicos did the job, but if you can afford it some Koni yellows would make the setup really kick ass, in addition to the ability to dial in the shocks for more understeer/oversteer.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now, about the shocks... I am planning the sway bar upgrade, but I would not mind nicer shocks, but again due to the driving conditions i am in, can not lower the car. if I went with Koni shocks, is it absolutely necessary to replace the stock springs? And with the koni yellows is it going to be the roughest ride ever?? My car already rattles and squeaks like crazy mad inside cause, well... it's an integra. :)

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
You absolutely cannot lower it at all? 1" isn't that bad...

I would probably go with the softer-valved internally-adjustable Koni Reds in that case. Yellows might be overkill for stock springs. I think with that swaybar and those shocks, stock springs would make it handle a little funny. Why not at least go with ITR springs? They only lower 0.4" and are a little stiffer, esp. in back.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I could do MAYBE .5" but absolutely no more, last time I had my civic that was lowered 1" with adjustables I had some SERIOUS issues with water getting into the exhaust, etc. Anytime it rains here, our street floods and our driveway being so low gets covered . now that i think about it, i think you mentioned ITR springs last time too.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
djcaseanova said:
now that i think about it, i think you mentioned ITR springs last time too.
Haha well I'm glad I'm consistent

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok, for some reason I am having a hard time finding some good condition ITR springs/shocks....

Sooo... what if I got the ITR springs and some aftermarket shocks fit for the 00 LS. Like ITR springs, koni red shocks for my car.

I was reading up on the conversion and there is a lot more than just the ITR springs/struts/LCA that is needed. You also have to relocate or upgrade the abs sensor lines because the mounting points are different right? (just what I've been reading).

It just seems easier to get the ITR springs and some aftermarket sturts... if I do this, I can keep my current LCA's and then upgrade the sway bar and bushings right? Shouldn't be any problems... I hope?

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
djcaseanova said:
ok, for some reason I am having a hard time finding some good condition ITR springs/shocks....

Sooo... what if I got the ITR springs and some aftermarket shocks fit for the 00 LS. Like ITR springs, koni red shocks for my car.

I was reading up on the conversion and there is a lot more than just the ITR springs/struts/LCA that is needed. You also have to relocate or upgrade the abs sensor lines because the mounting points are different right? (just what I've been reading).

It just seems easier to get the ITR springs and some aftermarket sturts... if I do this, I can keep my current LCA's and then upgrade the sway bar and bushings right? Shouldn't be any problems... I hope?
Yeah getting ITR shocks requires ITR LCAs and whatever else... a pretty large investment and pain in the ass just to get stock ITR shocks. Better off putting that money towards aftermarket shocks that are made for your application and you can still run the ITR springs if you want. They aren't the most common things to find but they do pop up often enough and for cheap. Good place to look is H-T classifieds.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay, now I thought the GSR springs and the LS springs were the same. Maybe I am wrong??? Springs as in suspension wise...

This guy said he upgraded his LS springs using GSR springs, and he gained better handling.... (again see my note above)

Well... my question is I thought all integras were the same springs except for the Type-R springs.

I am looking to upgrade to Type-R springs and aftermarket struts if I can find the springs by themselves. BUT.... I've been reading conflicting reports on how much the OEM ITR springs will lower your car. Some say .5" some say .75" some say 1"

Anyone know for sure?? And are there any aftermarket springs out there that will ONLY lower the car .5"??? Again, I can't go lower than that!!

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
LS and GS-R springs ARE the same, you're right, and that guy is a dumbass. ITR springs lower 0.4" (10mm) and are stiffer, as well as progressive-rate in the rear. If you look at a stock ITR, it's not that much lower, and not as low as my LS when I had the Neuspeed Sofsports, which are advertised at -0.75" but were actually about 1.0".

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
that's what i thought, he was hyping these gsr springs like no other over at one of the rinky dink forums...

okay, so im having trouble finding some damn OEM itr springs, how much are just the springs at dealers?? anyone have a dealer site that has online pricing?

I just can't find them. passwordjdm hasn't gotten good reviews on their sales and they want $200 for shocks/springs combos only. and I don't want to buy blown shocks that im not going to use but pay for... :noo

thanks!

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
Crap, they're actually a lot harder to find than I thought! Search on H-T classifieds, there are some ads that are a few weeks old but PM a couple of them, they might still have them.

I just checked acuraparts247.com, I can't tell if the price is for 1 spring or 2, but it's $81 for either 1 or 2... gonna cost you either $162 or $324 + shipping, so that's a no-go.

I'd put up a WTB ad in SHO, T-I, or H-T classifieds.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
lol, yeah i guess the ITR is becoming more of a dying breed these days, I don't know how many i've seen all totalled in crashes, etc. Now that the rsx is out, classic ITR's are slowly phasing out.

I've checked and emailed some peeps on t-i, ht, and even have a wtb here in SHO, but low and behold... someone with non-ITR springs replied! Figures :)

Ugh! Do you know any dealers online, like that have price guides online aside from the typical import places... like Bob's Acura or something?

IS THERE A PARTICULAR YEAR ITR I NEED THESE PARTS FROM??? or is it any year?

·
Registered
8,144 Posts

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts