Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
id like to see your setups and what you use... im starting to shop around for ideas for my next/current build... its time to make this 3500+ work for the money i spent on it...

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
TSXmike said:
id like to see your setups and what you use... im starting to shop around for ideas for my next/current build... its time to make this 3500+ work for the money i spent on it...
I just bought a Zalman CNPS9500 LED....I was going to go with a water setup but to do it right it costs too much.

And I just bought a 3700+ with 1mb cache...and i did some research on the stepping and people have hit 3ghz on air with this stepping....so I'm hopeful.

I'll have a CPU faster than an fx-57 for $130!!

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
I have a K8 water cooling block, a no-name radiator/fan I pieced together, and super cheap immersible pump in the tank. Cost me next to nothing. I don't trust water, so I use methyl acohol. Honestly, though, it's just collecting dust right now since the Opteron runs so fast/quiet/cool on air and I don't want to chop the new case up.
:D

·
Registered
9,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
gurusan said:
I just bought a Zalman CNPS9500 LED....

same cooler ive got... but not getting the overclocks id like to get with my 3500+

but... as soon as my card is paid off that opty165 will be mine! 2.7ghz... here i come!

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
TSXmike said:
same cooler ive got... but not getting the overclocks id like to get with my 3500+

but... as soon as my card is paid off that opty165 will be mine! 2.7ghz... here i come!
Hold off until July 24th... AMD Dual Core prices should be dropping BIGTIME due to Conroe's release. Expect close to 50% on the lower end. The X2 3800+ is going to be $165. ;)

Oh, and how much are you bumping Vcore? You usually have to put it a few notches above stock to get good results on those chips.

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
TSXmike said:

What kind of motherboard do you have? What setttings have you used?

And if you get an opty make sure to pay attention to the stepping...some of the later steppings are terrible and people can't get over 2.3-2.5 on them.

·
Registered
9,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my plan was to get my 3500+ to run stable at 2.4ghz conpaired to its 2.2ghz stock... i cant get it to run at 2.3ghz like a champ....

the first few times i tried it, i set vcore from 1.52 to 1.60...

as for motherboard... Abit AV8... decent board and mild overclocker from what ive read... but thats not a big deal... my new setup is where im planning boosting performance... the mobo for the new setup is a Abit AN8 x32... im tired of being stuck with an agp slot >.<

i really think its my ram thats holding me back, as far as overclocking goes... but i suppose its my own fault for buying kingston ram and not doing research first...

i know about the steppings... if worst comes to worst, ill probably buy a used one off someone to get a decent stepping...

or maybe like nate said, the dualcores will be comming down in price... maybe if the price is right ill pick up a X2 4800+... not the best oc'er but.. you know

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
Well something's not right. You should be able to OC it a bit more than that.

And your voltage is way high. It should be 1.4 stock and running 1.6vcore and above isn't a good idea with air cooling only.

I suggest you try again.

It's probably your memory....try bumping the vdimm up .1 or .2

And your HT should always stay closest to 1000....so I might try setting the HT multiplier to 4x.

and since you have normal kingston value ram try to keep it running close to stock speeds (assuming it's 200mhz/DDR400)

So try running a memory divider

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I was gonna go water cool because I wanted to build a quite and cool system. I couldnt because I wasnt able to fit the radiator inside my case. Not even the single heatercore because my hard drive was in the way. I bought some brackets so I can mount my hard drive on the 5.25" bay but never got around to installing the backets for the hard drive. Instead of water cool, I bought the xp-120 and never really cared with trying to go water cool anymore...atleast for this setup.

On my next rig, I am going all out. Imma wait until what intel will give me this xmas.

·
Registered
9,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
gurusan said:
Well something's not right. You should be able to OC it a bit more than that.

And your voltage is way high. It should be 1.4 stock and running 1.6vcore and above isn't a good idea with air cooling only.

I suggest you try again.

It's probably your memory....try bumping the vdimm up .1 or .2

And your HT should always stay closest to 1000....so I might try setting the HT multiplier to 4x.

and since you have normal kingston value ram try to keep it running close to stock speeds (assuming it's 200mhz/DDR400)

So try running a memory divider

thats strange that my stock vcore is high... could it be that my board comes with a small stock overclock from factory (like 2%, from 2200 to 2244)... dont get me wrong i know all about the htt settings and adjusting the voltages and what not, its just been a while since i tried cause of fustration and im probably gonna wait to finish my next build b4 i decide to OC... sorry if it soulds like im rambling, i just woke up... wish i had all the parts already... its gonna be a killer setup.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
gurusan said:
I just bought a Zalman CNPS9500 LED....I was going to go with a water setup but to do it right it costs too much.

And I just bought a 3700+ with 1mb cache...and i did some research on the stepping and people have hit 3ghz on air with this stepping....so I'm hopeful.

I'll have a CPU faster than an fx-57 for $130!!
that's a monster. as long as your rooms ambient temp isnt high (above 75F) & it's seated right w/ some good thermal compound you should get great OCs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.