Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so the new Chevy Cobalt is coming out this year. i think it looks pretty nice. but the SS model shows me how stupid GM is. its 200 hp, not bad. but its SUPERCHARGED!!! WTF?? no one will buy that. theres no room to mod. if they put a turbo on there instead, it would be so much better.

·
Registered
974 Posts
i like super chargers better myself. You get off the line power, and for autocrossing turbos are annyoing and bad for the engine. On boost off boost on boost off boost. And they are more drivable in the real world.

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
crucifudge said:
i like super chargers better myself. You get off the line power, and for autocrossing turbos are annyoing and bad for the engine. On boost off boost on boost off boost. And they are more drivable in the real world.

hmmm i dont know if i quite agree with that statement but anyways...

so the new Chevy Cobalt is coming out this year. i think it looks pretty nice. but the SS model shows me how stupid GM is. its 200 hp, not bad. but its SUPERCHARGED!!! WTF?? no one will buy that. theres no room to mod. if they put a turbo on there instead, it would be so much better.
superchagers can make more power too~ you can always change the pulley. thats how 03 svt cobras make their monstrous power

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
druuuu said:
I don't think its stupid, there's plenty of stuff that can be done to a supercharged motor to have it make more power. Plus GM seems to have put more engineering effort in SC's over the years, Buick, Ponitiac, etc.

·
Registered
8,494 Posts
no its because they are smart. everyone knows superchargers are for gas engines and turbos are for desiels

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
h22lude said:
no its because they are smart. everyone knows superchargers are for gas engines and turbos are for desiels
:confused

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
druuuu said:

You my friend are a dipshit. This thread shoes me how stupid you are! Go crawl back under that rock you've been living under :fu

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
Funny thing is, GM already had a Turbocharged 2.0L ecotec available. GM's Saab division uses it. All they had to do was drop it in, but i guess they prefered the supercharger or else they wouldn't go through the trouble of developing one for the Cobalt. Here are the ouputs between the two motors. The hp output is pretty close with the Turbo ecotec putting out 5 horses more, but the tq figures aren't really close...especially when looking at peak figures relative to rpm.

S/c'd ecotec - Cobalt SS - 205hp @ 5,600rpms - 200lb-ft tq @ 4,400rpms
Turbo ecotec - Saab 9-3- 210hp @ 5,500rpms - 221lb-ft tq @ 2,500rpms

Turbo engine makes 21lb-ft more tq at almost 2,000rpms earlier. Pretty tq'y.

Me personally...i prefer S/c'ers on bigger displacement v8's and turbocharger on smaller displacement 4's and 6's.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
h22lude said:
:confused :confused :confused :confused

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
h22lude said:
there are plenty of gasoline powered cars that are turbocharged:
eclipse gsx
evo
3000gt vr4
cordia turbo
mirage turbo
tredia turbo
beetle turbo
any vw w/ 1.8 t
supra tt
older rx-7
mr2 turbo
lots of porsches
..and many more

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
5.0 said:
Me personally...i prefer S/c'ers on bigger displacement v8's and turbocharger on smaller displacement 4's and 6's.
Same preference for me as well. :D

Anyways, those Cobalts and Redlines have some potential, maybe not as much as the SRT-4, but nevertheless, very stout. I think GM underrated these cars such as Dodge underrated the SRT-4. Take a look:

http://www.redlineforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=534

LOL, I just took a look again at the dyno graph...holy shit that is lean as hell! :eek

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
xtremefusion said:
Same preference for me as well. :D

Anyways, those Cobalts and Redlines have some potential, maybe not as much as the SRT-4, but nevertheless, very stout. I think GM underrated these cars such as Dodge underrated the SRT-4. Take a look:

http://www.redlineforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=534

LOL, I just took a look again at the dyno graph...holy shit that is lean as hell! :eek

188 wtq? Im thinkin GM should have went with the saab motor.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts