Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my tires are squeeling and i don't know why...
my tire pressure is perfect, i checked them when they were cold.. my all season stock tires are 2 years old... they don't look that worn down, but how can i tell if it's time to change them...? they have about 43,000 km on them.. don't know what that is in miles.. ?

anyone have any idea what might be wrong?

thanks,

·
Registered
19 Posts
The stock tires suck, that's whats wrong. Mine did the same thing after I got about halfway to 3/4 through the tread life. Every turn I took they'd squeel. They lasted a real long time, which is good, but performance wise, they defintely leave something to be desired.

It's easy to tell if you need new tires. Stick a penny upside down in the tread. If you can see the top of Lincoln's head, you need new tires. There are also little wear indicators between the grooves of the tires. If your tread is flush with them, you need new tires.

·
Registered
649 Posts
mine squealed too. get a wider size, like 205mm or 215mm tread width. will have to goto smaller aspect ratio, like 60 or 55 series to keep up w/ speedomter.

·
Registered
685 Posts
One word answer: Michelin. Michelin tires on many Hondas are known to squeal and do poorly in the rain. I don't know why Honda continues to use them. They give you good ride comfort and so-so handling, but cost a lot to replace and suck in the rain!

If you get some money, invest in some better performing tires. Wider tires will help, but a softer compound is what you need.

Don't you hate it when you don't have mods to make your car all that fast, but your tires make it seem like you got power? People look at your car when you turn but turn back realizing you got some squealing tires and not a powerful engine. Is it just me who feels that way? Hehe.

·
Registered
114 Posts
have the alingment checked. do they squeel going straight down the road, to much toe in. do they squeel only going around corners, thats camber. have it checked. if the alingment is off you will only ruin the new tires.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
What are u saying they last long?????????

My stock ones are not at 34k miles and i call the front pair OEM SLICKS. They are COMPLETELY BALD, almost as smooth as a baby's skin.

Its due to our massive power. And only with the OEM slicks will i ever be able to chirp all 3 gears. :D

·
Registered
667 Posts
yeah.. mine did that too.

Plus neg. camber made it worse. Whenver i drove my in rain, it was so dangerous.

I didn't have money to upgrade with better rims, so i just got Dunlop A2.

decent bangs for bucks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well mine lasted a long time. I changed them at 71,000 miles, and I prolly could have gotten another 5 to 10 K out of them. That's incredibly long . . . if you rotate them reguarly and keep the burn-outs to a minimum. Since you said just your front ones are bald, then I'm guessing you never rotate them.

Honda picks Michelin because they give a smooth ride, last a long time, and have very little rolling resistance. This is how they get the gas-mileage up, and please the middle-aged families that don't enjoy sprited driving like we do.

For stock tire upgrade from 205/60/16, go to a 225/55/16. The diameter is almost exactly the same.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Brant said:
Well mine lasted a long time. I changed them at 71,000 miles, and I prolly could have gotten another 5 to 10 K out of them. That's incredibly long . . . if you rotate them reguarly and keep the burn-outs to a minimum. Since you said just your front ones are bald, then I'm guessing you never rotate them.

Honda picks Michelin because they give a smooth ride, last a long time, and have very little rolling resistance. This is how they get the gas-mileage up, and please the middle-aged families that don't enjoy sprited driving like we do.

For stock tire upgrade from 205/60/16, go to a 225/55/16. The diameter is almost exactly the same.
Exactly. Families will like the Michelins. My dad loves them to death. Of course, hard drivers will not. You got 71K miles, eh? Very good, I'd say. I started not liking Michelins when Integra drivers hated their stock Michelin tires. But Honda also likes to use Bridgestone/Firestone tires, too. And I'm glad the high-performance Honda models wear them. Later.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Give us the scenerio when where etc........ it may be that your brakes are going and its your wear indicator...... but if they are squeeling ( slipping) while acceleration it may be more related to the tires

·
Registered
227 Posts
ok... so then it's not just me

my tires squeal in the rain and when i gun it when i turn, but lately they've been squealing ALL the time, even when i turn at normal speeds. can anybody recommend another tire? i have stock everything, planning to change that tho :D

porter

1 - 16 of 16 Posts