Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read that whenever you lower, that you need a camber kit. I don't understand why. Why do you need a camber kit? Also how does it adjust the camber?

·
Registered
704 Posts
By lowering your car, you will change the position of the arms and cause the rims to butterfly...thus negative camber...camber kits replace the stock connectors that connect the arm to the car and pushes the arm back out to compensate...this makes the camber less negative and thus less butterfly and more even tire wear and increased tire patch...you dont NEED a camber kit, per se, but you will just have uneven tire wear (the insides will be bald while the outside is still perfect)...mostly depends on how low u wanna go too...the lower you go, the more your tires will butterfly...i would say anything more that 1.5 inches you will need a camber kit...

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I dropped 1.5 and didn't need a camber kit. I can see a little bit of neg camber in the back, but a little bit (like a degree more than stock) can be a good thing for cornering, but more than that and you're just wasting tire.

·
Registered
601 Posts
bob12345 said:
I dropped 1.5 and didn't need a camber kit. I can see a little bit of neg camber in the back, but a little bit (like a degree more than stock) can be a good thing for cornering, but more than that and you're just wasting tire.
im dropped 2.25" and dont have any big camber wear problems.

your statement about anything more than a little camber is wasting tire has no backing, btw.. ive got experiance with many different camber settings and when cornering hard, more camber is better, to a certain extent. camber does have its drawbacks, but the way i see it is if a tire isnt wearing its not doing its job.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
cOiL said:
im dropped 2.25" and dont have any big camber wear problems.

your statement about anything more than a little camber is wasting tire has no backing, btw.. ive got experiance with many different camber settings and when cornering hard, more camber is better, to a certain extent. camber does have its drawbacks, but the way i see it is if a tire isnt wearing its not doing its job.

alright, it was a fairly broad statement, but I have experience with this too. The camber was off on my accord before, and I had uneven tire wear.

As I said, a little extra camber can be good for cornering, too much can be counter productive, as you also said.

In autox, I can see how the importance of extra camber might out weigh the tire wear issue. Most of us, however, don't autox, so we don't need a lot of extra camber. This is why I stated that more than a little extra camber is just wasting tire. Most of us don't use that extra camber, so we're just wearing our tires unevenly for nothing.

You're also right in that if a tire doesn't wear some, it's not doing it's job. But why set the tire up to wear wierd, and faster than it normally would, if you don't need to?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Like the others said it all depends on how low you go. When i had coilovers first installed on my accord it caused really uneven wear on my tires. Raising my car up just slightly and getting an alignment done fixed it so my next set of tires didn't wear uneven.

·
Registered
601 Posts
bob12345 said:
But why set the tire up to wear wierd, and faster than it normally would, if you don't need to?
everyone has different uses for their car. some require more negative camber and some are happy with less. it just depends on what the person is using their car for. i seriously autox my car and lots of negative camber, to a certain extent, is my friend. to a drag racer, any camber is the enemy. to the street cruiser mild negative camber is optimal to maximize the tire life and have a good compromize between accelleration and cornering performance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts