Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
prestige.

cars like VW are bought almost completly on their name sake, they even ran a campagin bringing to light they were german.

BMW, ferrari, porsche, build bad quality cars but they are fun to drive.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'm not talking so much about ferrari or higher end porsche cus those are for people who have a crap load of money and could care a less if they break cus they got the money to fix it...

not only that but i know they do have their positives as far as driving excitement and all...

but like VW and audi and jags, volvo, minis or other cars most pple are able to afford...

do pple just not care about quality as much? is it for some sort of bling factor?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I just talked to my friend yesturday about this! He said that he wants to get a Z4, I told him to get a S2000 but he said Hondas are too "high schoolish". He's a euro snob and would only go euro and not consider anything else. Euro cars are overrated IMO and seriously overpriced compared to Japanese cars. Screw the prestige of euro cars, an S2000 would murder a z4! Euro snobs make me wanna :bash

·
Registered
162 Posts
i guess euro cars have that special euro look and are pretty quick since they love to throw turbos and awd on everything lol.

not worth it imo.

·
Registered
849 Posts
euro cars have different character to them then japanesse cars. built differently, drive differently, and are generally different.

volvo and bad build quality?!?! we just bought a 2001 volvo s40 and its built very well. we took the damn thing apart, and its a very high level of refinment. the engine is built extremly well and so is the interior. i dont' know where your getting volvos are bad.

i don't see a reason why my volvo s40 can't last till 300,000+km excellent car. has 80,000km on the dash now, and i bet, it could last for a long time.

i would buy a euro car to be different and experience another brand that might not be as popular as japanesse cars. it gets very boring see 10000 civics and 10000 accords and 10000 camerys on the highway everyday. i'd love to see more saabs and other cars. i would buy a saab, they seem very nice. never driven one tho, but the 9-3 is on my list to check out.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
well it depends on what you mean by quality, the measures of "bad" and "good" qualtiy have changed somewhat in the last decade or two. A "bad" quality car won't leave you stranded or the wheels won't fall off while your driving. Many of the european cars are having electrical problems with their non-essential systems, so people are simply having problems using features they hardly ever use anyway. Most cars sold today are "good" cars, its rare to find a total shit box that stays on the market for very long, 90% of the cars being sold today have no problem getting their occupants from point a to point b in a safe manner. So no, I wouldn't say european cars are "shitboxes" at all. They have a certain design asthetic that appeals to people, and yes manufacturer labels do play a large part as well.

Nathan123 said:
I wish I could see the video, but that website blows. the choppiness got so annoying I had to turn it off.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bojacks said:
euro cars have different character to them then japanesse cars. built differently, drive differently, and are generally different.

volvo and bad build quality?!?! we just bought a 2001 volvo s40 and its built very well. we took the damn thing apart, and its a very high level of refinment. the engine is built extremly well and so is the interior. i dont' know where your getting volvos are bad.

i don't see a reason why my volvo s40 can't last till 300,000+km excellent car. has 80,000km on the dash now, and i bet, it could last for a long time.

i would buy a euro car to be different and experience another brand that might not be as popular as japanesse cars. it gets very boring see 10000 civics and 10000 accords and 10000 camerys on the highway everyday. i'd love to see more saabs and other cars. i would buy a saab, they seem very nice. never driven one tho, but the 9-3 is on my list to check out.
i'm not pointing fingers at any brand...its just that generally speaking i've been hearing bad reps about any european brands being not as reliable overall as american or japanese or korean cars as far as things breaking down or problems such as electrical like what many are saying...

i'm just confused as to why people still continue to buy them :bash

some of u like pete has made things (issues) alittle bit more clear, thanks...

·
Registered
972 Posts
It's all in the brand I guess... My mom bought an E200 K, and wow... The first month we own it the car needs to get back to the dealer twice for electrical problem on the lighting system and brakes are making weird noise on low speed.

I agree with Peteex statement, the definition between good and bad has been redefined so many times that bad cars only needs to get fixed few times more than a good car, but the problems are low enough in involvement it doesn't stands out anymore. Ever driven a chinese made motorcycle? Now that's a bad bad product... 4 years ago there's a flood of chinese made bike here in my country. From 5 official brand (the usual, Honda, Yamaha, etc), it surges to around 75 brands in just one month because the chinese bikes are dirt cheap and people seems dying to sell it. But such is a bad bad product, engine case breaking off, oil leaking, clogged fuel system and some even reported engine blowing off. So the government took matter into their own and conducted a field test... Which in term only left 10 brands surviving the test.

A bad car nowadays however, only has rattles, loose bolt somewhere not important, bad after sales service people, fuel consumption not meeting expectation, and so on... That's why my dad will still buy a jag for his retirement, even though people say it's a bad car.

And bling lives.... :lol2

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
dr_dohc said:
i'm not talking so much about ferrari or higher end porsche cus those are for people who have a crap load of money and could care a less if they break cus they got the money to fix it...

not only that but i know they do have their positives as far as driving excitement and all...

but like VW and audi and jags, volvo, minis or other cars most pple are able to afford...

do pple just not care about quality as much? is it for some sort of bling factor?
some reasons
BWMs = for handling, driving experience (most are fun to drive), prestige
Audi = awd (quattro), prestige, handling
VW = people who want a 'value' euro car (yes it's very subjective)
Volvo = people who want to protect their family or self from being murdred by a SUV, but still want to drive a car.
mini = people who want to drive a go-kart
Jaguar = prestige, uniqueness, one of a few british cars

imo, yes there is a bling factor. but the amount of people who weigh that factor above all else isn't that high.
the most important factor; just personal preference as to how people are attracted to the cars looks & how comfortable it is to them.

Lexus, Infinity, & Acura all seem to be doing fine. not sure what you expect. for people to just stop buying euro cars & only buy from japan & the US? :p

btb, this isnt auto news ;)

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Most of the german cars have better built quality than the japanese, but their reliability isn't as great.

From the fit and finish of the interior, to the door "thump", the germans have had the japanese beat.

When I say in a mid 90s C-class, the car feels more solid than an acura TL, or many acuras I might add. Everything feels tight and well put together. The gaps between materials aren't huge and everything just feels great.

If only the euros have japanese's reliability while the japs have the european's fit and finish/build quality, then the world would be a much happier place :hug

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
GSteg said:
Most of the german cars have better built quality than the japanese, but their reliability isn't as great.

From the fit and finish of the interior, to the door "thump", the germans have had the japanese beat.

When I say in a mid 90s C-class, the car feels more solid than an acura TL, or many acuras I might add. Everything feels tight and well put together. The gaps between materials aren't huge and everything just feels great.

If only the euros have japanese's reliability while the japs have the european's fit and finish/build quality, then the world would be a much happier place :hug
my thoughts exactly. i drive an accord and my parents have always bought hondas and toyotas but after driving my brothers in law audi a4 and sisters bmw x5 when they used to live in DC. wht a big difference it was. like you mention, the 'thump' when you close the door and just the built of it, it feels solid compared to japanese or american cars. even being in a lexus or acura before, it still doesnt feel as nice as the euros do. i still got love for japanese cars though. but ill be buyin my brothers in law a4 soon. cant wait :D

·
Registered
866 Posts
having owned an american car, a japanese car and now a euro car, i can say from experience the german car has a certain quality that the others don't. ekk and GSteg touched on the overal solid feel of the car but to add to that, just the way the car (my A4) drives compared to a japanese car is quite distinct. i can still trust a honda to be easier to live with for a much longer time than a german lux car but the quality of materials used, the way it absorbs bumps and the way it feels planted to the ground just give it that "euro" feel.

another thing to keep in mind - people who buy and own a mercedes or bmw typically have higher expectations from their car they just spent a whole lot of money on; so they're gonna complain more if something goes wrong. i would say it's safe to assume more honda/toyota owners will spend 15 minutes of their own time to replace their wiper blades, whereas a lot of people with mercs, audis and bmws are more likely to let their dealer fix the simplest of things. my dealer will do everything from replace the entire engine to replacing a light bulb for free (under warranty of course), not to mention free oil changes and other regularly scheduled maintenance. i know bmw has a similar program. my $.02

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Speaking of being planted down to the ground, the germans feels more solid at highway speed than the japanese. You feel more confidence in your driving where as in a lexus, you have that floating/disconnected feel. Though some of the japanese cars do feel pretty planted at highway speed (ie. s2000).

To some people, the prestige and driving experience outweighs reliability. To others, its the opposite.

Come to think of it, those people who buy german cars for prestige aren't going to own their cars long pass warranty anyways. They will always want to get the latest model so they have that prestige. :bash

·
Registered
957 Posts
When I think of BMW, Mercedes, Audi, etc- I see luxury, prestige, solid type of car, Germans in a class of its own. But of course, German cars are more expensive to own (price of the vehicle, and maintenance)

When I think of Lexus, Infiniti, Acura - They don't have the German brand name, but it does have reliablity, some Japanese cars are cheaper compared to the Germans

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
euro cars...

design.. from the most beaufitul exotic italians to the ugliest econo car mostly french.

engineering.. mostly german with their big as engine or turbo engine or diesel but when u talk about gasoline i never see german cars made more power if they have small displacement. one example in asia and euro they sell small engine BMWs and Mercedes.. american never seen one because its just too WEAK. but in asia and europe as long it save benzin... aka GASOLINE. and cheaper for the ROAD TAX.

gadgets... ugh...they love to show new this and new that.. but.. like my BOSS told me.. buy them european new and warranty is a must but after 5 years u better get rid that car end the lease or change new one because if you are not lucky u will get alot of electrical problem. The japanese doesnt always invent this and that but the PERFECTED and CUT COST those gadgets so they could sell it CHEAPER.

image... well image for who? remember in certain country mercedes = taxis. bmw = police cars.. if you flood the market with the product it WILL affect the image. too bad in states they dont have BMW taxis or cop cars. in States BMW = buy me wife car. hahahaha SERIOUSLY how many ppl buy their bimmer for the ultimate driving? how many percent of those bmw owners go to track with their 523 or 325s?

i am sorry i rather buy japanese lux or american lux.. overprice euro cars just for ppl who want to get notice and need to burn some excess. it still have 4 wheels and 4 doors still bring you from point A to point B so why so much diff in price? rather spend on something else... bigger house bigger boat..

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
A lot of people buy euro cars after settling down already. It's a matter of preference, but the american and japense have not locked in that ability to create such fit and finish. The experience of euro is different than the japanese. I wish japanese could create a car that competes with the europeans in fit&finish and build quality. The japanese cars will leave you with something to desire, after sitting in a euro :( :eek:

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
The whole thing about the interior quality of good euro cars to good japanese cars having better interior is all in your head. I spend all my time taking apart the interior of cars and the only difference in quality and fit and finish I see from a compareable acura to an audi is the audi is just more of a pain in the ass to take apart.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.