Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Because thats the way that they design their turbo systems. www.ststurbo's.com

apparently it bolts on in a few hours, makes decent power and can be removed in less time.
IMO it's a great concept for someone who has a vehicle with limited space or aftermarket support.
I think that there are enough turbo kits on the market for honda's and acura's but who's to say that they cant make one. IMO it's great for v-8's because it's less parts and easy to bolt on.

·
Registered
38 Posts
i saw an article about this in turbo magazine a few months back... a company called squires turbo systems (STS) puts these out..

right now kits are out for firebirds, and some pickups i think.. but anyway its really interesting... looks like alot easier to install.. i dont think they run an intercooler w this but im not sure????

·
Registered
118 Posts
i have an idea why....

...it could be that the temperatures are lower at the rear of the car. Maybe they were trying to skip the cost of an expensive intercooler. :D

·
Registered
76 Posts
It's pretty stupid really.
Half of what really gets the turbine to move is the temperature difference between the gas coming out of the manifold and the gas on the other side of the turbine. So now, the only thing moving the turbine is exhaust gas just blowing by it, slowly at that. So strike one for inefficiency. The exhaust gas temp has little to do with the intake air temp, so that's not a reason to put it back there.
Second, that extra 8 feet of piping after the turbo outlet creates how many extra cubic feet of airspace? Meaning the turbo would have to work much harder to raise any kind of boost level. But then it's being pushed by cool, slow moving exhaust gas, so it can't exactly work harder. Strike 2 for inefficiency. I bet the lag on that is horrific with that extra airspace too. Probably doesn't hit full boost until he's ready to shift gears.
So that big old turbo is probably work hard just to get a whole 5psi.
The only positive I see, is that it's probably an easy install. Don't have to work in a cramped engine bay, don't have to have a custom manifold. But for the money they probably charge for that kit, you could set it up right and get lots more power.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
jasen said:
It's pretty stupid really.
Half of what really gets the turbine to move is the temperature difference between the gas coming out of the manifold and the gas on the other side of the turbine. So now, the only thing moving the turbine is exhaust gas just blowing by it, slowly at that. So strike one for inefficiency. The exhaust gas temp has little to do with the intake air temp, so that's not a reason to put it back there.
Second, that extra 8 feet of piping after the turbo outlet creates how many extra cubic feet of airspace? Meaning the turbo would have to work much harder to raise any kind of boost level. But then it's being pushed by cool, slow moving exhaust gas, so it can't exactly work harder. Strike 2 for inefficiency. I bet the lag on that is horrific with that extra airspace too. Probably doesn't hit full boost until he's ready to shift gears.
So that big old turbo is probably work hard just to get a whole 5psi.
The only positive I see, is that it's probably an easy install. Don't have to work in a cramped engine bay, don't have to have a custom manifold. But for the money they probably charge for that kit, you could set it up right and get lots more power.

You know I felt the same way until I started looking at some of the dyno numbers.
http://i.b5z.net/i/u/1473169/f/13_psi.bmp
that was a silverado with the kit, not to shabby if you ask me.
Some of the testimonials have dyno numbers included. I was skeptical at first, but the set-up seems to perform. I agree it's not the best use of the exhaust's energy, but it's still being utilized none the less.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yeah, he's pushing 13psi. And 13psi on a V8 is going to net you some big numbers. And maybe with a V8 pushing all that air, the lag may not be so bad either.
I still have a hard time trusting it for small displacment cars. I'll have to read a bit more on what they're doing.

·
Registered
624 Posts
That's a long ass pipe to the IM.... and long ass oil lines. The only benefit I see on this is the fact that you will not need an aftermarket turbo manifold... That intake filter is gonna suffer so bad. Imagine driving in the rain/flood/puddles.....

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
jasen said:
Yeah, he's pushing 13psi. And 13psi on a V8 is going to net you some big numbers. And maybe with a V8 pushing all that air, the lag may not be so bad either.
I still have a hard time trusting it for small displacment cars. I'll have to read a bit more on what they're doing.
I agree completely. I havent researched to much into it, but from what I did see it didn't seem to be as bad as I first thought...Then again I never considered it for a 4cylinder, I was mostly interested in the v-8 set-up..
I wonder where they are measuring that 13psi? manifold or regulated by the wastegate?

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
I just can't imagine this being very efficient...same as everybody has said.
It's also after all emissions control so you get the slowest, coldest exhaust pushing the turbo and a LONG path of travel for the compressed intake charge... :idiots

1 - 12 of 12 Posts