Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
i find if i have a passanger leaning against the side of the seat or out the window, the light will come, but then turns off right away............... so looks like a few of us have this problem or similar at least

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
NoSkillz said:
i find if i have a passanger leaning against the side of the seat or out the window, the light will come, but then turns off right away............... so looks like a few of us have this problem or similar at least
but it comes on when no one is sitting in it

·
Registered
52 Posts
srs

I think it's a defect with 6th Gens. Happens to mine too, usually when someone leans on the passenger door, but happens when no one is there as well. As far as it coming on when it rains, I've never had that problem. I seem to remember reading somewhere that Honda fixes it whether or not you are under warranty, but don't quote me on that. Search it on google, you'll probably find something.

·
Registered
579 Posts
it is actually not a defect on the accords but a good idea gone bad. The idea was that a light load on the passenger seat would indicate a childs seat had been placed in front of the passenger airbag. The light you see is the restraint system turning off that one airbag until a heavier load (person) is placed on the seat, or the child/books/shoes/box/and so on. In my opinion though if your a dumbass parent who wants to put there kid in front of an airbag thats your own problem and the funeral expenses and divorce will probably counter the stupidity. Don't worry about the light, just make sure if it annoys you to place all loose objects in the floor instead of the seat.

peace

·
Registered
52 Posts
If this is so, why would the light come on when a grown adult is in the passenger seat?? Should that be considered a defect? Surely when an adult is sitting in the passenger seat there should be more than enough weight for the car to "know" that there is a person there and not a baby in a child seat. I find that it comes on when my girlfriend leans against the passenger door. I've also seen it come on when nothing is in the passenger seat whatsoever. Still I haven't researched it enough to be sure of anything.

·
Registered
579 Posts
if a person is not sitting square in the seat than of course the light will come on. Light individuals (females) whom do not know how to properly sit in the seat will of course trigger the light but of course you sound smart enough to know that (ever seen what happens when females sit improperly in a seat and airbags detonate? Its not pretty by far). I own 2 cars which have had similar problems so I looked into the source of the problem and found out about the weight sensor but please do tell me something since you obviously are the smartest kid on here.......if your so smart and you know your car has a defect why haven't you figured out how to turn the sensor off while leaving the airbag on instead of just calling it a defect? I would love to hear your response.............. :ninja :bash

·
Registered
52 Posts
So you're saying that when a 120lb woman is sitting in the passenger seat the sensor can somehow sense less than half that weight 60lbs(combined weight of a child and child seat) and trigger the SRS light. And that's not a defect? Where'd the other 60lbs go?
wipeout97 said:
(ever seen what happens when females sit improperly in a seat and airbags detonate? Its not pretty by far). I own 2 cars which have had similar problems so I looked into the source of the problem and found out about the weight sensor but please do tell me something since you obviously are the smartest kid on here.......if your so smart and you know your car has a defect why haven't you figured out how to turn the sensor off while leaving the airbag on instead of just calling it a defect? I would love to hear your response.............. :ninja :bash
So I'm here trying to help someone out and give them advice on a topic that they had a question about. I'm simply speaking from experience. I've already acknowledged that I haven't done the research yet and I never claim to know more than what I say. You are here trying to start conflict and confrontation. So if you want it you got it. You say that you've seen a female detonate an airbag simply by sitting in a chair improperly, now if that doesn't sound like a defect then I don't know what is. An airbag is detonated by the force of an accident (which is in no way = to the force that a female can impose on a vehicle simply by sitting improperly). This is not to say that if a female (or anyone for that matter) starts kicking hitting at the inside of a car she can't cause an airbag to deploy, but shit, if you can detonate an airbag by sitting improperly, you should return your broke ass car. As for research:

1998-2002 Honda Accord: Reliability
Trouble Spots
Consumer Guide's® Auto Editors have scoured repair bulletins and questioned mechanics to search for commonly occurring problems for a particular vehicle. In some cases we also give possible manufacturer-suggested solutions. In many instances these trouble spots are Technical Service Bulletins posted by the manufacturer, however, we have our own expert looking at additional vehicle problems.

Airbags: The airbag warning light may come on if a cell phone or laptop computer is plugged into the accessory power socket. (2002)

2000: Airbags may not deploy correctly, due to improper welding.
Research this buddy

Here's another for you...

One more for good measure

All complaints about the same problem, many of these people say that no one and nothing was in the passenger seat at the time the light went on. I found these sites in 5 min of searching. I'm sure I can find more complaints if you want. Many are convinced of a defect. As a matter of fact I do remember some sort of official SRS recall and if you speak anymore on this topic I'll be forced to find it for you and shut your ass up. Now get off these nuts and stop calling people out simply because you got butt hurt that someone said something about what you had to say.

:bye :hehe

P.S.
Main Entry: 1de·fect
Pronunciation: 'dE-"fekt, di-'
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Latin defectus lack, from deficere to desert, fail, from de- + facere to do -- more at DO
1 a : an imperfection that impairs worth or utility : SHORTCOMING <the grave defects in our foreign policy> b : an imperfection (as a vacancy or an unlike atom) in a crystal lattice
2 [Latin defectus] : a lack of something necessary for completeness, adequacy, or perfection : DEFICIENCY <a hearing defect>

Therefore if a factory distributes a product that doesn't work as it was intended to, it's a defect. I think this is simple enough to understand.

·
Registered
579 Posts
dumbass and yes I am talking to you.......smoke some herb and chill the phat out. How in the hell would a female detonate an airbag by sitting in the seat wrong. I said I have seen what happens when an airbag is detonated and the female was sitting in the passenger seat wrong. Broke both of her legs and to this day she is not back to 100%. LEARN TO READ

Confrontation......no thats not what I want........this kid has a problem and thinks its a defect......well obviously since people like you are giving advice without looking into the mechanics of what its doing how is that not misleading or bad advice? Trying to help someone by saying yeah its broken and they all were that way is misleading. The true answer is a 5 cent resistor and brain power. I read the first few lines of your response and am flattered you felt like telling me so much so thanks but other than that nah I am not going to waste my time, show me some certs or experience and I would take you seriously. Thanks for wasting your time :D :byye

Peace

·
Registered
52 Posts
You want certs? BSEE @ UCD, You want experience? 1990 accord and 2000 accord. Experience tells me dont waste time doing something that someone else will replace for you free of charge.

Ill keep it simple for you wipeout since you obviously dont like to read, you are the only one on this thread who is throwing out childish insults, if you are going to make sarcastic remarks ("if you're so smart") and follow them with incorrect statements and useless advice ("it's not a defect" "figure out how to fix it yourself") Then don't get butthurt when someone puts you in your place. Why are you going to tell someone to buy a resistor and fix it themselves when Honda will replace the whole sensor for free? Now like I said before, get off these nuts.

As for the original question, sorry got so off topic but I found these sites for you:

28th Mar 2006, 09:43
The SRS warning light issue is under a recall!! I had the same problem last year and brought it to the dealer and got myself ready for spending some unexpected amount of money. To my surprise, they told me it was actually a seat belt problem that was under a recall! So they fixed it for free!

30th Mar 2006, 15:15
I have a HONDA Accord 2000 who had the same SRS light problem.
Honda Service just changed the OPDS sensor and refunded me my $700.oo which I paid last year for the OPDS. They are aware of the problem and they would apply the warranty even if your car is 5 years old. Problem corrected after the sensor was replaced. (OPDS sensor is placed at the back of the passenger seat.)
http://www.carsurvey.org/viewcomments_review_61390.html

FIND RECALLS ON YOUR CAR HERE

·
Registered
492 Posts
first, why cant we all just get along?, secondly what im getting from this angry post is that i can take my car to the dealer and they will correct it.why havent i been notified of this recall and are they going to be able to diagnos problem if it happens only sporadically.
thanx

·
Registered
52 Posts
First of all, go into a honda dealership, tell them you have been having a problem with your srs / side airbag light coming on sporadically, let them know that you have a feeling that it's the sensor in the back of the passenger seat (determined from independent research), they should be able to test if it is in fact the sensor and check their database to see if your car is covered under any recalls. Also, I believe that if you are covered under a recall, the dealer must take care of your situation in a timely fashion or else there's some number at Honda you can call to report it. Hope this helps...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts