Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my H22 in my Accord for almost a year now...one night I missed a shift went from 3rd to 2nd and messed some valves up in the head. I thought no problem, I'll just get new valves,springs, ret and a port job, which I did. The guy who did it had an extra H22 head sitting around from some kids motor that he blew up with too much n2o but anyway, he did all the work to that head and once it was done, I just traded heads. Anyway I got the motor all together drove it about 3 months and couldn't get the valves to stop making noise. I eventually take it to a friend who works for the guy who built my head and he tries to do a valve adjustment and it fails b/c we notice the cam has been badly worn away on the #1 cylinder exhaust side. He and the guy who built my head said it was b/c of lack of lubrication b/c I had the wrong dipstick in the car and not enough oil. Anyway I bought a whole another used head and replaced the cams and that one set of rocker arms b/c that was trashed too(only the #1 cylinder exhaust side). I get it back together and now as I do another valve adjustment 3 weeks after I just replaced my cams that same cam lobe is already showing signs of wear?!?!?!? I have plenty of oil in the motor so why is it still eating up that cam lobe and rocker!?!? I've left a message on the guys machine hopefully he'll call me. But anyway, does anyone have any idea what could be wrong, its all aftermarket valves, springs, ret....my neighbor said it may be the wrong spring or too much tension for it but the guy who built it swears its 100% perfect...what the hell do I do?!?!?!?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm abou to go crazy b/c my shit keeps breakign and I can't afford 10 sets of cams a year

·
Registered
226 Posts
true..sound like a prob. have oyu tried to return the internals to normal? take it too a "known" preofessional, get his opion. if it is the guys work at fault then he would need to refund your money?
so its wearing the cam lobe on the exuast side, just in cyl 1...hmm

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know how to replace my valves and springs and shit...and plus he kept all that stuff

·
Registered
161 Posts
This is also in the Prelude section:
What kind of cams are you running? Are the springs aftermarket as well? If the spring pressure is too high You could cause a metal to metal situation to occur. I have seen this type of damage done when improper springs are used. Also, what is your oil pressure like under load in the uper RPM's? if it isn't high enough (at least 80 psi) around 8000 RPM then you may be starving the head from oil this can also cause extensive wear. I would check atleast the oil pressure first and then find out what type of valve control (springs) you have and go from there.

If you are interested in my response here or wish more info contact me at www.collectiveracing.net . Please register on the MSG board as I am there daily.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stock Cams...haven't touched the cam settings...stock cam gears...i'm not sure what brand springs/vavles, ret. are in there tho but they are all aftermarket

How can I check the oil pressure under high rpms without buying a gauge and having oil going into my car?? Are there quick tests of oil pressure that automotive shops can do or do I have to go buy a electonic oil pressure guage???!?!?

·
Registered
250 Posts
-->> good call 2point6

A good rule of thumb when it comes to oil pressure is 10psi for every 1000rpms. Now i dont know if thats universal for every make and model but for honda that should be it. Example on my accord 92' it says 10psi at 1000rpms and 50psi at 3000rpms, i know that contradicts what i just said, but its pretty much a good rating to follow. I would definately get that oil pressure checked out and maybe one of the oil ports in the head is clogged up?? You said that you traded heads off another h22 that had been blown?! Why would you do such a thing, i would never put a worn out/blown head in my car even with new parts. Once the head is damaged even the SMALLEST degree, shit will ALWAYS be wrong and never run right. MY advice is get your original head back if its not damaged and go from there with new parts if all possible.
Back about 3 years I had a 90' Plymouth Sundance (biggest POS EVER) and the lady who owned it before me overheated the motor and kEPT driving it untill it threw a rod. Now the guy i bought it from rebuilt the head new pistons, valves and so forth. But Not a new head everythign was cool but about 2 years later the rockers started to get loud and then the camshaft broke in half right between the 3rd cylinder intake and exhaust lobes! I ended up going through 3 replacement cams before i sold it. The cause, was the excessive heat warped the head ever so slightly, and that was enough to keep snapping the damn cams!! Long story short if something as important as the head is damaged in anyway, no doubt replace it! You cannot go wrong by doing this, if you can afford it, i know its pretty expensive, but will pay off by giving you NO problems. hope this helps:D

·
Registered
250 Posts
hmm not sure if thats the case then, the oil thing might explain it?:confused: hope you get it fixed

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I checked the oil...its lubing the lobe fine...i bought a oil pressure guage and its 100% fine....so its a mistery

1 - 11 of 11 Posts