Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why did I buy a car that was so old! My car is sitting at the elementry school parking lot right now because it wont start. I went to the grocery store but didnt make it...the lights started going VERY dim and the speedometer shut off completely while I was driving. I went and parked it there and tried starting it, "click click click click" and now it wont turn over so I can get it home. My guess is it's the alternator, starter, or battery.

So now that one of those just died I also need to replace that, the SRS cable reel, brakes, axles, and while I am at it I should just replace the timing belt too! Anyone want it for $3500 as is? I just put in power windows and locks, reupholstered the doors, new boston acoustic speakers up front and dynomated the trunk. So if you know anyone in the CT area wanting a steal on a practically mint (minus the above problems but if they are mechanically inclined they can fix it for fairly cheap) '93 Civic Si then tell them to contact me.

Here's what else it has:
Alpine Headunit with iPod hookup & ipod holder
KYB AGX shocks/struts
H&R sport springs
17" Konig Verdict rims with 85% tread left on the kumho tires
Greddy SP2 exhaust system
AEM short ram intake
Kill switch
JDM amber corners
JDM center console
a/d/s amp for the speakers

Let me know, AIM - Thorgy5

Oh, and on top if it my girlfriend broke up with me last week after 1 year and 7 months of dating :bash

·
Registered
41,903 Posts
that sucks man.. If you lived closer id buy you lunch :)

Reactions: gurusan

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
Sorry not tryin to be an ass but $3500 for a car that needs work and is like 11 to 14 years old............no thanks

I'll think about it for $2000

·
Registered
13,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hence the part about someone who is good with mechanics or i can take off the exhaust, intake, and rims and put the stock stuff back on and sell it for $2000. Other then that, keep enjoying those autotrader adds and trying to find an eg in pretty good condition. They are out there so good luck :btu

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Alternator gets my vote. Did the same damn thing to me. I was driving to class and it sputtered and sounded like my old CR when it would foul a plug "brrrrrurr urr urr...death" Luckily it happend only a little down the street so I had to push it back home.

·
Registered
290 Posts
yea iam pretty sure its the alternator too. try to have someone jump start it for you and then let it run for itself and see if it will shut off again. or you can just jump start it and have someone follow you home incase it dies...

·
Registered
13,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input guys...the radio noise also got really bad too...so probably the alternator. Is there "upgrade" alternators out there with more volts or is OEM what I should look for? Also, how do I find if I have a Mitsubishi or NDenso alternator so I can replace it with one from advance auto parts that is remanufactured? Are these hard to install? I'll probably do the timing belt too since everything would be off to do that too I guess. Maybe the high school tech. ed. dept can do this (they only make you buy the part and labor is free) but I'll see what I can come up with since my "hook-ups" are a little on the small side. Too bad this is all happening at the worst possible times, but life rolls on. Thanks again boys! :)

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
belive it or not even brand new expensive cars have problems. imangine you paid 120k for a benz and you're having trouble with it (my boss has 2 of them and i cant belive the stupid shit that goes wrong with those cars). so dont feel too bad if your 4k dollars, 13 year old civic has problems.
and they're not even serious problems. alternator/battery are maintenance items which should be checked/replaced when they go bad.
i can tell you its not the starter. your car wont die while driving if the starter goes bad. try doing the free/cheap stuff first such as cleaning the battery terminals, and new battery. if that doesnt do anything then look into getting a new alternator.

Thorgs said:
Oh, and on top if it my girlfriend broke up with me last week after 1 year and 7 months of dating :bash
go to her house and start dating her mom. there's a hilarious movie on the net about a guy like that.

Reactions: Thorgs

·
Registered
41 Posts
Slipjack said:
He gets free hot lunches at the elementary school because he's one of the poor kids.

j/k

Sucks man, when you said the lights started going dim I immediately thought it was the alternator. Might check it out.

Good luck.
im sorry but thats funny as hell. it took me a min to get the joke. lol... good luck though man. jus no that there is other people out there with worse problems.

·
Registered
20,271 Posts
Thorgs said:
as of right now it was the battery, but now my speakers dont work and I checked all the fuses...the radio turns on though...crap
nbow that u have a new battery check out ur chargins system output. many times a bad alternator or bad battery could mess up both

·
Registered
13,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
but would that cause my speakers to not work even if the radio turns on? my sound system is powered by an amp and the two fuses on the amp were fine and so was the radio fuse under the dash.

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
check the inline fuse of the amp...
is the amp getting power?

·
Registered
518 Posts
you think thats bad, a month or so ago i was coming home from visiting a friend in another town, and i pulled in the gas station and i got gas and when i was leaving i started my car but my lights wernt very bright and my cop radar and my cd player didnt work but i didnt really didnt pay much attention to it, cause i had my brights were on when we were looking at my friends hatch, so i though the battery was just almost dead, so i take off, i get on the main rode about to get on the highway when my car really starts to act up it dosent want to shift "its an auto" and the lights are extreme dim so i pulled over cause i didnt want to mess anything else up, and i turned my car off and i poped my hood. I didnt see anything wrong but i couldnt really tell because it was dark and i didnt have a flashlight. And i got back into my car and it wouldnt start so I started walking back. I was on teh main road and cars were flying by me at about 70, and i didnt have a flashlight so i was jsut hoping i wasnt goning to get hit. "got the hell scared out of me bye a backberry bush but shhh" i made it back after about 1 and a half miles later. Luckily i had a tow rope in my car from the day before when me and my friends went 4 wheeling. And we used that and my friends Blazer to tow it back to his house. I just stayed there that night cause i didnt have any way of getting home. The next moring i knew right off the bat that its was the altenator cause of how my car was acting. SO me and my friend took the altenator out and went to the local junkyard and got a new one. THe one that i bought from the shysty bastereds didnt work, so i had to pull that one off and take it back to the place were they exchanged it, i was pretty pissed at this point so after i finaly got my car back working again i did like 90 mph all the way home.... just remember people do have it worse. and also i was never going to mention this story to anyone but well i felt bad :cry

1 - 16 of 16 Posts