Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
torque is what pushes you and hp is how fast your engine will get up in the rpm's... (so to speak) the more torque, the more you can pull (if you got good traction, you want lotsa torque) and the more hp you got, the faster your engine climbs therefore accelerating faster.
road racing (hiway) you want hp because you'll never be in the low rpm's to accelerate fast by using torque.
torque is a force, it's what you feel, hp is the embodiment of it in momentium.. horsepower is an overall figure of u'r peak proformance in acceleration of rpm's. where your motor is at it's peak and how powerfull it is sitting there.
i'm sure if they made dragracing games they'd list tq/weight ratios but at high speeds, hp is what counts. tq would send the whole thing off (imagine having a tractor trailer in there, lotsa tq. not much hp)

sorry i couldn't help more.

· Registered
17 Posts
you're welcome..
b20z, eh?...
umm.. where could i find some specs and listing of all the different motors (or most of) that there is..
i know what a VR4 is, and v-tec of course..
what about the rest?

· Registered
40 Posts
actually u have it a bit wrong. u cannot feel horsepower is directly related to torque so u cannot feel torque any different from horsepower. actually horsepower is torque times rpm divided by 5252 like someone above said. dynos dont measure torque and horsepower as 2 different things. most measure torque and the hp curve is calculated from that figure. actually having toque down low is good for low rpm acceleration (as u have correctly said) because this means more hp down low. same thing with high rpm torque. hondas have low torque figures but are fast when revved high because a moderate amount of torque multiplied by a high rev figure ie 150lb ft * 8000rpm /5252 gives almost 230 hp at that crankspeed

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.