Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as a teenager i had a 2001 prelude SH. at the time i thought it was cool to put on an exhaust, intake, header, etc. etc.

i now have an s2000, and i ask myself why i ever wasted time and money on making the lude faster.

i know you u all love you ludes, as i did when i have one, but ask yourselves this...for what reason do you waste money on engine parts?

in reality its such a heavy, slow car, that see's very little gains in the 1/4 mile etc. unless u are going, FI... its too heavy for the track, despite its good handling, and IMO isn't meant to be modded that way, along with the rest of the civics, and accords, etc, out there.

anyway, just a thought of mine...

·
Registered
399 Posts
At the time, you probably thought it was worth putting money into your lude. You did it because you enjoyed it and it was fun, the same reason other people do it. Plus, for a lot of us, it's our only car, and we can't afford cars like the S2K, so we have to work with what we have. Also, I've seen people with preludes do very very well on the track, there's a few members on Absolute Prelude who do circuit racing, and some do very well. The prelude is by no means the best drag or circuit car, the people who think that are ignorant. But your question is a matter of perspective. In a few years, you could buy a Z06 and say "why did i ever waste any money on my S2K? It's never going to be as fast." I guess my point is that tuning/modding/working on cars is a hobby, and you do what you like to do. :number1

·
Registered
200 Posts
I know what you're trying to say... but the s2000 isnt any better at "making power" than the lude...

sure its rwd, somewhat lighter, somewhat quicker, 0-60 is shorter.. but its still a honda... they only dyno around 195whp stock anyway (if I'm not mistaken), so I dont see how thats much more of an improvement over the lude besides the facts already stated above.

why do people make their ludes faster? because not everyone has 30k to go out and buy an sti or evo, or any "performance" car for that matter.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
ludespeed501 said:
I know what you're trying to say... but the s2000 isnt any better at "making power" than the lude...

sure its rwd, somewhat lighter, somewhat quicker, 0-60 is shorter.. but its still a honda... they only dyno around 195whp stock anyway (if I'm not mistaken), so I dont see how thats much more of an improvement over the lude besides the facts already stated above.

why do people make their ludes faster? because not everyone has 30k to go out and buy an sti or evo, or any "performance" car for that matter.
well i know personanally i dont do what everyone does. just like the NA CRX that ran 12.3 @114. why waste all you money money on a NA car when u could have just boosted it an called it a day. how many NA CRX runs low 12's an maybe with a good driver dip in the 11's.(streetable car) same reason why i picked the lude. not to many people think there fast. well im planning on changing that sometime shortly. plus i like the way the car looks. like stated before...its a hobby.

·
Registered
123 Posts
One Mans Trash Is Another Mans Treasure !!

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Don't mean to burst your bubble, but S2000's are pretty fast due to their light structure... but I got news for ya... Honda did a NASA project, the S2000, no matter what you do on it ... the gains are almost insignificant for the amount of money spent.

Here where I live, this guy was braggin' so much about his project on boosting a S2000 with 570whp... at the track the fucking car couldn't even take off ... too much power ... it just remained there in its white smoke!!! :rolleyes Guess what!!! He began to get heavier rims, put back the spare tire and take off almost all of its boost... NOT WORTH IT!!!

Yes, Prelude's are pretty heavy... weight can be taken out at least 200 pounds leaving it stock. And Joel's 'Lude last Friday rolled down the track with 10.84 seconds on a 1/4 mile with 587whp Force Inducted. :w00t

Now you tell me.... is it better to waste money on a 'Lude for performance when it can do better than an S2000 with same power to wheels or not?

I'll race my car, both having 500whp average, with your S2000 any day :D
P.S.
I helped my friend build his as a new project and first one of mine, plus I don't have the money to waste on Turbo for the moment. But when I do... I'm going for 620whp Microtech (2 program ...street & track) programable and we can meet at the track to see if you're going to have the same opinion.

:bye

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
wow... isn't this a dumb thread.

um... matter of opinion... you can say that about any car. post it in OT, or don't post it at all.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LOL---ok clone, just putting some thoughts on the table, if you don't like it than don't reply.

nice mods by the way---what'd you look for the loudest exhaust with the least gains. i bet it sounds nice atleast. way to keep a classy car classy.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
N1PreludeSH said:
as a teenager i had a 2001 prelude SH. at the time i thought it was cool to put on an exhaust, intake, header, etc. etc.

i now have an s2000, and i ask myself why i ever wasted time and money on making the lude faster.

i know you u all love you ludes, as i did when i have one, but ask yourselves this...for what reason do you waste money on engine parts?

in reality its such a heavy, slow car, that see's very little gains in the 1/4 mile etc. unless u are going, FI... its too heavy for the track, despite its good handling, and IMO isn't meant to be modded that way, along with the rest of the civics, and accords, etc, out there.

anyway, just a thought of mine...
I totally understand what you're saying. When I first got my car car, I wanted to do sooo much, here it is 2 years later and I haven't done one thing to it and i'm glad. I love my car, but I don't feel the need to modify it or any other car similar.

One question for you to ponder as well though, why an s2000? Now don't think i'm close-minded, I can understand why you bought it and I know it wasn't just to be faster. But you brought up the point why modify the lude to be faster. Well for 30k, or ~20k if you bought it used, think about how much "faster" you could have been. You could have purchased an F-body, or a 03/04 cobra and easily ran low 13's. It all comes down to, "to each his own". I'm sure many prelude owners are younger, 18-25 probably on average, and they may not think things through entirely, especially not for the long run. So they want what they have now, to be fast and all. Instead of waiting, saving up and getting something much better overall.

Oh well, just my say on this. It might now all be completely relevant, but it's what came to mind. Glad you're still enjoying your new car.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
sauce said:
wtf? is this guy serious? stock s2k runs the 1320 like 3 tenths of a second faster than a stock 5th gen lude
Umm... no, he is serious and you're mistaken. I'm not saying everyone runs this but it is possible to run a 13.8 in a stock s2000. Prelude the best you are going to get is 15.1 on the 1/4.

·
Registered
20,101 Posts
Why put money into any car to make it fast? You know why? Because if every honda lover out there just saved up for ever and bought a s2000 then this would be the s2000 forum, and everyone on here would have the same car, wow how fun. All there would be at tracks and cruise in's would be mustangs, vettes, vipers, s2000s, you my point. Plus you wouldn't have cool shit like the guy who runs mid 12's in a 1986 woody caravan with a 2.2 turbo in it. The car in my sig ran a 12.82 @ 114mph on street tires before I put a stroker in it over winter, but I still do shit to my flat black spray painted crx dx daily driver because I like the little car, it is nowhere near as fast as my stang but it still has aftermarket parts on it. The way I look at it, it's your money and your shit so do what you want with it, and if anyone has a problem with it they can F off

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
hmmm...shall we compare :rolleyes

Car-Stats.com Report for 2003 Honda S2000
Obtained from C&D December, 2002
0-60:
Transmission: Manual
1/4 Mile:

1/4 Speed:

Additional Information - s2000

Car-Stats.com Report for 1993 Honda Prelude VTEC
Obtained from MT May, 1993
0-60:
Transmission: Unknown
1/4 Mile:

1/4 Speed: - 4th gen vtec

:bash

2 tenths of a second...hardly worth saying a lude isnt worth it compared to an s2k :rolleyes

·
Registered
1,631 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sauce, are you on crack?

Car and Driver lists the prelude stock running the 1/4 at 15.5--however i do believe a good driver can get to low 15's--at best.

the S is listed in the mid 13's...thats a little more than .3 of a difference, if my calculations are correct.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
expierence97 said:
Are you honestly going to use that as a reputable source to back up your times? Not too meantion, rwd>fwd AND a prelude will get it's ass handed to it in a road race.
hmmm...YES. look up any of your "sources" for 1/4 mile times and lemme know how not so different they are from mine. :lmao

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
johnlude---lol that is the most misconstrued data ever. 14.9 stock s2000? im actually laughing out loud right now.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.