Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed some new Boston Acoustic SX60's and I turn the volume up and the more "thump" in the song all the speakers shut off for a couple of seconds and turn back on. My speakers are run on an a/d/s amp, but it never did that before with my old speakers. Any thoughts/ideas? Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
My bet (as long as nothing is straight up broken) is that your impedence isn't matched to the amp. How many ohms are they and how are they hooked up?

Reactions: expierence97

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
OK... if you have them hooked up like the diagram says, you likely have a piece of broken equipment. Do you have a voltmeter?

·
Registered
13,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
broken :confused it was working fine with the old speakers (minus them being staticy/scratchy which is why i upgraded them) and now all of a sudden something is broken? they sound good when the volume is at 10-12, but if i go above that they start to shut off when the song gets to a part where there's a lot of "thump/noise" going on.

i dont think i have a voltmeter. what does that do?

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
If you had a voltmeter I could give you an idea of what and where to test to find out what is wrong... but, since you don't, do this:
Check the amp, see if it is actually hot when it cuts out.
If your car has a voltage readout, check that too.
Verify ALL wiring/connections.

I suspect that the temp sensor is either malfunctioning or turning off the amp on actual high temp. It could be many things beyond that, from bad wiring to insufficient voltage... but high temp/false high temp is probably the most likely.

Reactions: Thorgs

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
i don't know where your gains are set but try backing them down just a bit. and maybe check you cross over point.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Thorgs said:
Ok, I fixed the problem...now one of my tweeters just gives "air" noise...like...it turns on, but no music comes out. :confused
You fixed it by doing what? And why would a tweeter be outputting white noise if it's hooked to the same output as the main component speaker??

·
Registered
13,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I played with the crossover that is under my driver's seat and adjusted it and then it stopped shutting off at higher volumes...then my pass. tweeter stopped working and just put out white noise, but the crossover in the door is fine because i put the main speaker on the tweeter connection and it still put out the sound...so...maybe i killed the tweeter???? :( I hope not, it was perfect...I dont know where to get another one like it.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Thorgs said:
I played with the crossover that is under my driver's seat and adjusted it and then it stopped shutting off at higher volumes...then my pass. tweeter stopped working and just put out white noise, but the crossover in the door is fine because i put the main speaker on the tweeter connection and it still put out the sound...so...maybe i killed the tweeter???? :( I hope not, it was perfect...I dont know where to get another one like it.
What did you adjust on the crossover?

I also wouldn't bet on the tweeter being blown. Any speaker, tweeters included, can only put out a sound based on the input voltage. If damaged, it will be a distorted/diminshed sound or no sound at all... but I cannot see any way to get a speaker to generate white noise with a good music signal coming into it. I'm betting on a garbage in = garbage out situation.

·
Registered
13,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, I have no idea...I just adjusted the speaker out put controls and rewired a little bit and tightened everything down. The tweeter thing is driving me nuts though...maybe I'll fiddle around with it a little more on a warmer day...until then...I'll have high pitch in my left ear and none in my right and it'll be awkward when trying to talk to someone after I drive :ninja

1 - 12 of 12 Posts