Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I don't want to start any flame wars. I just want your opinion on a few widescreen LCD's that I'm looking at. Let me know what your opinion of them are.
Primary use for this will be running at my desk at the office. Eventually I'll have two. I use this for helping other people so being able to have a remote support session open while surfing for information on a fix for the problem I'm trying to solve is a plus, thus the widescreen. Refresh doesn't really matter but colors do. I'm bothered by colors that are off noticeably. Right now i'm using a Samsung 990DF CRT monitor and it's good but staring at it all day gives me a headache and I don't want two of these beasts sitting at my desk, they take up too much damn space.
Ok so in no particular order here's what I'm looking at.

Acer

AG Neovo

Sceptre

Viewsonic

Also I'm going to need a professional graphics card to run both of those monitors. Again nothing that is for gaming but it must push them both at native resolution off of 1 box. Not quite sure what I am going to do so any suggestions are welcome.
Well... have at it. :D

·
Registered
99 Posts
5gencivic said:
Ok so in no particular order here's what I'm looking at.

Acer

AG Neovo

Sceptre

Viewsonic

Also I'm going to need a professional graphics card to run both of those monitors. Again nothing that is for gaming but it must push them both at native resolution off of 1 box. Not quite sure what I am going to do so any suggestions are welcome.
Well... have at it. :D
I'm going to gve feedback on all of the monitors and why or why not to choose them...All monitors have an 8ms response time so I nixed that from the comment..

Acer - 19" WXGA monitor which doesn't have as high a screen resolution as the WSXGA. It's native resolution is 1440x900. The price is nice, but it only supports Analog RGB, it's nice to have the option to use digital when you can.. Also the contrast ratio could be better as it's only 500:1.

AG Neovo - Pretty much the same as above BUT costs more..

Scepter - 20.1" WSXGA monitor which has a higher native screen resolution of 1680x1050. Supports both Analog RGB and Digital input signals. Has a higher contrast ratio of 800:1 which is very good and has a decent pricepoint.

Viewsonic - Pretty much same as above except it's 5lb lighter and has a smaller footprint, also it's a bit more expensive.

All in all the Viewsonic brand has been around a while and I know the quality is there. The 20.1 inch monitor is a good deal and is better for graphics with the better contrast ratio and digital inputs. I would go with the Viewsonic.

As far as a professional video card, if you are doing 3D rendering you'll probably want to look at a Quadro or FireGL card. If you could tell us the expected purpost of the video card I could probably give you some additional suggestions.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Illone said:
As far as a professional video card, if you are doing 3D rendering you'll probably want to look at a Quadro or FireGL card. If you could tell us the expected purpost of the video card I could probably give you some additional suggestions.
Basically no rendering or any graphics rendering at all. All it will be doing is running remote desktop sessions, VM/Virtual PC sessions and doing searches on the internet.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
i have the dell 20.1" widescreen one, its awesome!!!! .. wish i could afford another .. instead im running the 20.1" and a 18" lcd dual-monitor setup using a ATI X1800XL video card with dual DVI inputs.

since you dont need a video card with gaming or rendering .. look into ATI X1300/X1600 series .. they have some that have Dual DVI inputs.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
fartbomber said:
I know it's not on your list but check out Dell monitors.

No.

Edit: I'm sorry I refuse to spend any money with that company. I dont' care if they make good product or the best product ever. I will never, EVER, purchase a product from them ever in my life time.
Not your fault I simply refuse to buy Dell equipment.

·
Registered
99 Posts
5gencivic said:
No.

Edit: I'm sorry I refuse to spend any money with that company. I dont' care if they make good product or the best product ever. I will never, EVER, purchase a product from them ever in my life time.
Not your fault I simply refuse to buy Dell equipment.
I'm the same way, no worries there. As for the video card Nvidia's cards are a pretty good value right now, 6800's (GS, or GT) are fairly inexpensive now and I would go with one of those at this point.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.