Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my 1st lude 2 weeks ago and I noticed that when I start it up and start to move.. I get a wierd sound coming from under the car.. (it sounds like the fuel pump is humming) it only comes on for about 2 to 3 seconds. Could it be the fuel pump? I've had other cars that "prime" the pump on start up. Any thoughts??

·
Registered
866 Posts
Almost positive it's your ABS unit priming. Don't worry about it. ;)

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
looks like hes got a base. my 4th gen does the same EXACT thing. only on the first startup of the day, the first time i move the car for like 2-3 seconds. im pretty sure its the abs too. nothing to worry about. it does kinda sound like the fuel pump lol. the fuel pump is more of a deeper sound because its muffled by the tank, and the rest of the car. this sound youre describing sounds like its in the cabin im sure. i have the same thing. i just didnt know the 5th gens had that sound. every lude has it, and im sure whoever reads this thread will now notice it every time they move their car for the first time of every day lol.

·
Registered
864 Posts
If you turn the car to ON, you will hear the fuel pump prime. If you turn the ignition, and start to move (at around 2-5mph), you will hear the ABS do its self test. It is louder than the fuel pump, but sounds similar. I always wondered what that sound was too a long time ago, but I eventually found out it's the ABS.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yup.. that's it.. the ABS... When I wen to work this morning.. I started it up.. sat for a minute.. no sound.... then I put it in drive and slowly started to move.. it kicked on and I felt it thru the break pedal. I'm glad it's no big deal. Thanks for your help guys!!! You rock!!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I always get a slipping belt sound for a second when I fire it up, but all the belts look to be proper tension and good shape, weird.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
burgboy73 said:
Yup.. that's it.. the ABS... When I wen to work this morning.. I started it up.. sat for a minute.. no sound.... then I put it in drive and slowly started to move.. it kicked on and I felt it thru the break pedal. I'm glad it's no big deal. Thanks for your help guys!!! You rock!!
hahaha...nice smiley...we need that one in are list. someone create a thread or email someone. that shit is awsome. hahaha. you know what..plus rep for that shit. hahahaha

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well if you like that one.. Here's some more.... Thanks for the rep flag thing-a-ma-jiggy!!

<- *My Favorite!!

<--My 2nd Favorite

OK that's enough for now... :D

·
Registered
79 Posts
Same thing happened to me. I asked around here and on ht and other forums, and they all said differnt things. Some said it was a ball joint? a lower control arm? i dont really remember, but i didnt really care much becuase i found out sson after that it was normal. And you said you just got the lude? Congrats! How many miles on it? and what year?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.