Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is regarding finding an exhaust for a jackson racing supercharged prelude (1998 type SH to be exact) and i cannot find a brand name 2.5" cat-back exhaust for a prelude for the life of me. i want to avoid a custom job for 2 reasons: 1. a high performance exhaust is only as good as its widest diameter, so they say; and being that mandrel bending is extremely rare or highly limited availability(nowhere to be found where i'm from that i know of), the only option is crush-bending where the bends are pushed in decreasing the diameter size of the piping. 2. noise. from what i've experienced and heard, custom exhausts are too loud and just don't sound as good as a manufactured system.

so i'm wondering about just getting a 2.25" brand name cat-back but am concerned that it won't allow enough air to flow as freely as a larger exhaust system, particularly for a supercharged setup. does anyone know of any manufacturer such as apexi or thermal whoever that makes a 2.5" or larger cat-back for a 98 prelude SH that would work well with a jrsc? or will a 2.25" be sufficient? thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Only aftermarket manufacturer that I know of that makes an exhaust bigger than 2.25" is Thermal. There Turbo version is 3" but the dam thing is loud as hell.

Cat backs are usually just 2.25" so if you want 2.5" you'll have to go custom. If you want quality and low sound, Hytech has a good header that is of high quality, quiet, able to pass smog, and gives good performance gains. However, it will cost you more than an arm and a leg.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Ya im pretty sure there is no company that makes a 2.5 exhaust for the prelude, i couldnt find one either. Ive got a RSR exhaust on mine right now with stock cat and the car performs really well with no problems. If ure having problems finding someone who does mandrel bends, you can buy madrel bent pieces and have them cut and weld them into the exhaust with the proper angles. I made the mistake of tyrin a 3" exhaust on mine with a high flow cat and it didnt perform nearly as well as the RSR. Maybe with some cam gears and alittle bit of dyno time it might of been better.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Why didn't you just keep the whole RS*R system instead of using the stock muffler?

BTW Apexi WS Series has an exhaust for the Lude SH. Its pretty quiet I hear and is pretty similar to the RS*R cat back.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
is the rsr 2.5" or 2.25"? and what's the site address where i can order mandrel bent pipes? thanks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
sak said:
Why didn't you just keep the whole RS*R system instead of using the stock muffler?

I am using the whole RS*R system, when i was trying the 3" exhaust i was using an N1 muffler but the rest of the exhaust was custom. So i just opted to put the RS*R catback back on the car and it was better than the custom job. Even the guys at jackson say 3" is too big.

DDR2 im not even sure if you can still get RS*R in north america anymore this is what ive been hearing, ive already had the exhaust for 4 years. And any muffler shop should be able to order in the mandrel bends.And the RS*R is 2.25"

·
Registered
55 Posts
I also heard the greddy evo would be a good choice for an exhaust system to work with the supercharger, im not sure how loud it is but it probably isnt near as bad as the N1. Ive yet to hear the Apexi WS exhaust but my RS*R is almost silent.

·
Registered
153 Posts
all of the above are good points to take into consideration, i have a custom 2.5 inch straight through with no resonator, into a obx howitzer, coming from 4-2-1 headers through the stock cat ,and as much as i like it, i still wonder if i shoulda just gone with a nice cat back ststem thats 2.25 inch standard

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
SHLUDER said:
I also heard the greddy evo would be a good choice for an exhaust system to work with the supercharger, im not sure how loud it is but it probably isnt near as bad as the N1. Ive yet to hear the Apexi WS exhaust but my RS*R is almost silent.
If you like the RS*R, anything else will probably be considered loud. I heard an EVO and I hated it! Although it may not be as loud as an N1, its still cosidered loud in my book.

Its not the brand or style of exhaust. You want to pay more attention to size once you are making more power.

Remember, with the exception of the Thermal Turbo 3" cat-back exhasuts, the rest are just 2.25" or 60mm piping cat-backs.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Actually RS*R systems are 2 3/8", so it's slightly larger than 2 1/4" piping. Anyone with an RS*R system should definately take care of it and keep it. I absolutely love my RS*R, just thankful I didn't get rid of it for something louder.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Thats why I said 2.25" or 60mm. Weirdly enough, most exhaust are measured by the outside diameter and not the inside diameter which is more important.

SHLUDER, I just realized that I misread your post. You said RS*R with stock cat and I though RS*R with stock Muffler! I was reading one thing and thinking another.

·
Registered
55 Posts
crx-sc thanks for letting me know that its 2-3/8 i always thought it looked abit bigger but i just took it for granted that it was 2-1/4

1 - 12 of 12 Posts