Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my buddy wants to go all motor with his cx motor and he wants to put my old head off my d16y7 onto it.. he says the cx has a 8valve but im not to keene on those motors. Would the head swap work on his motor??? Thanx.

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
Yeah the head will fit but you'd better do a check before you bolt it on and run it to make sure the valves clear the pistons, as his 8-valve motor should only have 2 valve reliefs on each piston instead of 4. He might want to change pistons or the whole bottom end to d16a6 internals if he's going all-motor. The Y7 head is the best of the non-VTEC heads, it'll rev to 7000-rpm and has the same larger valves as the VTEC heads, and the same chamber size as the Z6 head. If the head fits without new internals and he does a header/exhaust/intake, he could get 25hp from the swap. The CX had only 70hp and the Y7 put out 106 but has higher displacement.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea he is getting a cam and some other stuff for it id have to find a pic of the d15 pistons to check for the relifes right?

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
Yeah, or if he doesn't want to upgrade with the d16 internals for the larger displacement he can use the pistons from the d15b7 DX engine, those will work fine and give him .1 higher compression. So with the y7 head he would have about 9.8 c/r.

But like I said before, he can improve torque and get 10.5 c/r with d16a6 internals which are beefier rods too, or so rumor has it...

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
will the z6 bottom end and y7 head bring it up alot?

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
Z6 and Y7 have the same compression with the same size combustion chamber, so you'd end up with 1.6 liters but 9.4 c/r, whereas the d15b7 pistons on his stock rods/crank would remain 1.5 liters but give him around 9.8 c/r. Again, the A6 gives the high compression AND the 1.6 liter displacement. :) Keep in mind that with all-motor, the cam and compression is where all the power is coming from so the more c/r he can get the better. He can run mid-to-high 10:1 c/r on premium pump fuel, a compression boos like that si good for nearly 10% power increase over what the z6 internals would give.

He REALLY needs to get the EX/Si sohc vtec tranny, he'll gain a lot of acceleration from that. In a 5g CX body with that engine built up good lije that with I/H/E, cam, & gear he should be able to get better than 15.0 in the 1/4-mile.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nice! ill let him know i found a place that makes nice sohc all motor cams for 200 bux.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts