Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright i have a 97 hatch, i need to put in a 98 ex header, cat, and exhaust for until i get some dough for aftermarket stuff. so will it fit? cuz i know the hatch is a little shorter. does anybody know?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,081 Posts
ex exhaust won't fit right, the b pipe would be fine but the axel back section won't fit
hatch exhaust with ex header and cat the b pipe will be to long, so basicly what you need to do
is get a hatch back exhaust, and ex header and ex cat, then drive to the muffler shop and have the b pipe shortend
oh but you already have the ex exhaust thou... hmmm i think maybe you could have the ex axel
section shortend, but you'd just have to take the car to a shop to figure out how much needed to be taken off...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
trentdx: thanks for the info. my dad knows how to weld, i guess we'll just have to see...

klungemonger: my hatch doesn't have an exhaust system at all cuz i bought it stripped, and i have a ex parts car, so i have to use the ex stuff for now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,625 Posts
just chillin said:
trentdx: thanks for the info. my dad knows how to weld, i guess we'll just have to see...

klungemonger: my hatch doesn't have an exhaust system at all cuz i bought it stripped, and i have a ex parts car, so i have to use the ex stuff for now.
Oh, I see, so in that case I guess you will have to mod it. Shouldn't be that big of a deal. Shorten it, reweld it, and relocate teh rear hangers on the muffler.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok what if i took the cat out? would it make it any easier to find the ex exhaust? i'm planning on getting a straight pipe anyway. when the check engine light comes on when you put in a straight pipe, does it affect engine performance at all?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,786 Posts
just chillin said:
ok what if i took the cat out? would it make it any easier to find the ex exhaust? i'm planning on getting a straight pipe anyway. when the check engine light comes on when you put in a straight pipe, does it affect engine performance at all?
If you want to stay legal and have emissions, I would not get a straight pipe. I would suggest a hi-flow cat. But if you don't have to worry about emissions and want a straight pipe go for it, its going to be loud as hell. And if your car is OBD2 (96-00) then your CEL will come on unless you get an O2 Simulator. As far as if it does affect engine performance when the light is on, no it shouldn't.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
xtremefusion said:
If you want to stay legal and have emissions, I would not get a straight pipe. I would suggest a hi-flow cat. But if you don't have to worry about emissions and want a straight pipe go for it, its going to be loud as hell. And if your car is OBD2 (96-00) then your CEL will come on unless you get an O2 Simulator. As far as if it does affect engine performance when the light is on, no it shouldn't.
here in idaho our emissions aren't too strict, i'm pretty sure i'd pass. ya its a 97 hatch so it is obd2. so disconnecting the sensor won't affect performance right? i don't mind the check engine light.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,786 Posts
just chillin said:
here in idaho our emissions aren't too strict, i'm pretty sure i'd pass. ya its a 97 hatch so it is obd2. so disconnecting the sensor won't affect performance right? i don't mind the check engine light.
So your saying you do have emissions? If you do, I strongly recommend a hi flow cat. I really doubt you can pass with a straight pipe. Here in Florida, we don't have emissions so I have a test pipe. My test pipe has an O2 bung welded on so I can put the O2 sensor in there. If you get a straight pipe (meaning a pipe from the headers), it will throw a CEL. If you get a straight pipe, make sure the muffler shop welds an O2 bung because where are you going to have the O2 sensor?! Surely your not going to let it hang loose and damage it while driving on the road, thats a $200 sensor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,625 Posts
I very much doubt you will pass emissions without a cat. But if you are using a straight pipe then forget modding the exhaust unless you need to in order to make it fit the hangers or whatever. Whatever gap is between the midpipe and header just fit the straight pipe in there or as suggested (and recommended) put a hi-flow cat in there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well never mind about the no cat idea i guess. my dad said it should pass, but he said they usually check for the cat, and if its not there then obviously it'd fail. i guess its back to cutting and gluing the exhaust.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top