Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i noticed my volume adjustment icon from windows isnt in my bottom right corner anymore...kinda by where the clock is.

only way to access it is to go thru the start button. how do i add the icon back to the bottom right?

·
Registered
670 Posts
NationsMostWanted said:
i noticed my volume adjustment icon from windows isnt in my bottom right corner anymore...kinda by where the clock is.

only way to access it is to go thru the start button. how do i add the icon back to the bottom right?
Also known as the "System Tray"

Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Sound & Multimedia -> there's a checkbox somewhere about "Show volume control on the taskbar"

[WINXP]
If it's already checked, right-click empty space on taskbar and click Properties. There should be a button or dialogue about Auto-Hiding Inactive Icons. Click it, and look for it in there and set to "Hide when Inactive" to "NEVER" or something like that.

I'm on Win2k right now at work can't confirm all the steps. for the WinXP

·
Registered
670 Posts
NationsMostWanted said:
wow its not in there the volume thing
Sorry bro should've IM'd me :)

Anyway, in XP it's called Sounds and Audio Devices in Control Panel.

On the first tab, it says "Place volume icon in the taskbar." Make sure that's checked.

Also if it still doesn't work, do the step above:

Right-click empty space on your task bar and click Properties

On the where it says Hide Inactive Icons, click Customize

Change "Hide when Inactive" to Always Show

Hope it helps, let me know if it works

·
Registered
20,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jhwee said:

On the first tab, it says "Place volume icon in the taskbar." Make sure that's checked.

i knoe how to do that but my volume isnt there..how do i add it to this list

·
Registered
670 Posts
NationsMostWanted said:
i knoe how to do that but my volume isnt there..how do i add it to this list
It's not even in Past Items? That's strange, it should be there... I don't think you can add it to the list...

By the way, do you have any sound drivers? Maybe that took the place of the Windows Volume icon.

Because I have SoundMAX or whatever that came with my laptop, and I know sometimes my Volume doens't show...

EDIT:

I just did quick searches online, and apparently these are the following cases.

Windows XP "boots up too fast" and fails to load processes correctly.

-systray.exe
-explorer.exe

http://www.r2.com.au/downloads/index.html?id=startdelay - supposedly a program that delays the startup of programs... Dunno how it works.

Try #1: CTRL+ALT+DEL and in Task Manager under processes, try ending Explorer.exe. Then go to File -> New Task, and type explorer.exe

Usually that doesn't work but on a forum I found online they said it did.

Try #2: Logging off and logging back on. Rebooting won't help--try this step.

Try #3: I don't know what the consequences are of disabling those services... Especially Plug & Play.

I've found an easier cure. It worked for me so you could try it:-
Right-click on My Computer
Click on Manage
Expand 'Services & Applications'
Highlight 'Services'
Look through list of services on the right....
Find Universal Plug & Play Device Host
Right-click on it.
Click properties.
Change startup type to 'Disabled'
Do exactly the same with 'SSDP discovery service'
Problem should be solved.
^ That should work...

Try #4:

Microsoft knows about this problem and they have told several of us to go to [control panel] [add / remove programs] [add/remove windows components] and take out the networking services (which BTW includes Plug and Play) This worked but I was concerned that since I have a home network that I need these services.. After reading all the posts here, I think the culprit is Plug and Play and not the networking service.. To answer tje copncern about turning Plug and Play back on when installing new components, The new hardware that you buy today is plug and play aware anyhow and doesn't need windows to help so I wouldn't worry about adding new hardware with Windows Plug and Play disabled.. It should find and install the compnent without any software help.. Besides, 90% of the time you need to use the manufacturers software to install the hardware anyhow..

·
Registered
20,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jhwee said:

damn im stupid..i went thru it earlier but didnt see it

thanks bro

·
Registered
20,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
is there some virus or spyware if i cant delete my history anymore in windows? when i go thru the tools and click delete history it still stays. same thing if i click the history button and right click the day and delete it still stays there

·
Registered
670 Posts
NationsMostWanted said:
is there some virus or spyware if i cant delete my history anymore in windows? when i go thru the tools and click delete history it still stays. same thing if i click the history button and right click the day and delete it still stays there
Is this your own computer or the work's? Are you logged in under Administrator (I don't think it should matter)?

EDIT:

You can go download PowerToys fro Windows XP, other known as TweakUI.

This program can change a lot of settings along with cache/history, so when you do stuff, it won't even log it in there. Also it'll clear as you reboot or log off the computer, automatically :).

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Yes, sounds like you might have gotten some PUP's installed on the computer somehow. Those things are bastardly. I just had 13 of them found on my computer because of some damn website. used adaware and mcaffee antivirus and it took care of it...

was having similar problems as you described, but I also had to reinstall my soundcard drivers to get my audio button back on the taskbar.

·
Registered
20,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
djcaseanova said:
Yes, sounds like you might have gotten some PUP's installed on the computer somehow. Those things are bastardly. I just had 13 of them found on my computer because of some damn website. used adaware and mcaffee antivirus and it took care of it...

was having similar problems as you described, but I also had to reinstall my soundcard drivers to get my audio button back on the taskbar.
yea my adware couldnt fix this...maybe run it again later

·
Registered
670 Posts
NationsMostWanted said:
yea my adware couldnt fix this...maybe run it again later
If you found malicious spyware that you can't remove, look for that name on Google and add "removal" afterwards. Like "[nameofspyware] removal". Usually if it's really bad it'll take you to a page where it has step-by-step instructions on how to remove it, if not, a patch from Symantec to fix it.

EDIT: woah 300 post, lol... :clap

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
After using tons of things I've found that Trend Micro Venus Spytrap is the best.

It runs/scans realtime like most virus protectors so it stops problems before they start.

·
Registered
49,788 Posts
gurusan said:
After using tons of things I've found that Trend Micro Venus Spytrap is the best.

It runs/scans realtime like most virus protectors so it stops problems before they start.
interesting.. free?

ad-aware has that too but you have to pay for it.. or crack it :ninja

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.