Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, here's my problem. In the living room, we have a wireless router. I need to get that signal to another point in the house, and from there I need it to go out to ethernet cables to the computers.

We have a linksys wireless router, can I get another linksys wireless router and some how create a bridge or something so it picks up the signal and out the wired ports in the back to the computers??

How does this get acheived?? Anyone??

· Registered
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info, I looked into it, but decided it was going to be rather complicated. I ended up having to get a linksys WAP54G access point to connect using mac addressing and in repeater mode from the WRT54G wireless router.

The bitch part I am still having trouble with is that the accesss point only has one port outlet on the back that is supposed to go to a switch apprently. I have it going into another wired router... that doesn't have an uplink port. So it's slower, but I was able to get a computer hooked into it, my most important one anyway. The mac is still unhooked until I figure out how to address it.

What's the difference between a 10/100 "WORKGROUP SWITCH" and a DSL Router w/ 4 port switch??

· Registered
2,529 Posts
Should be. But if there's not an overly intrinsic way, disable DHCP, and don't plug anything into the WAN port. You might also consider statically assigning all IP addresses. Switches don't really need uplink ports as much as hubs do (did). While there are switches that have uplink ports, those that don't should auto-uplink.

· Premium Member
6,822 Posts
why not just buy a antennae booster???? or signal amplifier???you can get them unidirectional, we have some at my job that will only broadcast 100 or so feet and only in one direction that seems like the easier solution

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.