Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my '95 civic VTI (european SIR) won't pass the emission test. Is there anyway to trick the ecu to make it pass? a resistor or something (only for temporary)?
My car runs just fine the engine doesn't overheat the timming is the way it should be(stock).

Any help is appreciated :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well, one thing that I've always heard that works is drill a small hole right before your cat. That'll usually make you pass the co2 tests. Unfortunatly, once you're done, you'll have to weld it back closed again. Also, check to make sure your cat is in good shape, replace the O2 if needed, check fuel pressure and injectors. That should roughly be everything that is involved with the co2 test.

chesh

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks chesh, I also heard retarding the timming somewhat & raising the idle would help. My idle is kinda low right now(about 650rpm when warm). The cat is fine I guess, how can one tell? It looked ok to me. you see all the mesh patterns and stuff. When the car drives ok doesn't that mean the o2 sensor is ok? Usually when that one goes bad the car runs crappy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 90 Civic also failed the smog test man...with 181K on the odometer.....For sure im going to replace the 02 sensor and Cat.....a buddy also mention I might have problems with the EGR.....scope out my chart... :(

·
Registered
13 Posts
Theres an electric pump (found on some BMWs) that you can tap into your exhaust. It pushes extra air through and definaitely helps with passing emmissions. It might be difficult to get ahold of one but think about alternatives. A very high capacity auquarium pump might do the trick. However Id look at easier more legal alternatives first.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.