Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my car wouldn't start one day so i replaced the alternator and pulled the starter off it was still good. then alternator was shot so i figured it would be an easy fix. put everything back together and charged the battery. it wouldn't turn over so i jumped it thinking the obvious. i left it running for 30 mins. it runs fine, all the lights work stereo everything works, but as soon as i turn the car off it won't turn over, but i know the battery is getting a charge and the solenoid in the starter is clicking, so it is getting a feed also. is there anything else i could do?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
1) you won't get a code if the check engine light is on.. actually, u might if u have a code reader, but they're codes from the past and have nothing to do with the present

2) a code is for detecting faults in the emissions system and the sensors throughout the engine. it has nothing to do with the starting system.

·
Registered
187 Posts
That is not entirerly correct...if your check engine light is on your ecu is most likely throwing a code. That means that there is something wrong with a sensor or something is wrong that the sensor is connected to. You can read the codes without a "code reader" by looking at a light that flashes on the ecu if there is a code at all. The flashes have a corresponding code that goes with it. http://tech.hybridgarage.com/tech/codes.html This site will help you with what the codes mean.
Second...if you ecu is throwing certain codes it could be going into a safe mode where it could and does a couple of different things. Your car will run like shit and could also cause it not to start at all. I'll come back to this if I think of anything eles.

·
Registered
114 Posts
the battery is shot. it only takes 12 volts the run the lights, radio etc. but it takes amps to start the car. the battery is only holding a surface charge and not enough power to do more than make the starter click. you proved this when you jumped started it. if you can jump start it then the electrical system is working. you only bypassed the battery. get a new one and the problem will be solved. take it to a place that can check the battery and you will see what i mean.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts