Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my car wouldn't start one day so i replaced the alternator and pulled the starter off it was still good. then alternator was shot so i figured it would be an easy fix. put everything back together and charged the battery. it wouldn't turn over so i jumped it thinking the obvious. i left it running for 30 mins. it runs fine, all the lights work stereo everything works, but as soon as i turn the car off it won't turn over, but i know the battery is getting a charge and the solenoid in the starter is clicking, so it is getting a feed also. is there anything else i could do?

·
Retired *********
4,663 Posts
Since it starts OK when you jump it and is fine when the engine is running, it sounds like you battery is bad.

Do you have a volt/multi meter? If so, what is the voltage of the battery with the engine off? It should be around 12 volts.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Your battery have 6 section, 2.1volt each so the voltage of a good battery is 12,5-12,6 volt!

The alternator push about 13,5-14,5 volt so start the car and check the voltage of the alternator, and check the votage of the battery. If the battery dont have the same voltage''alternator voltage'' , the wire between the alternator and the battery is not good! But I dont think this is the probleme because when the engine is running your alternator give good power.

Check the battery connection and clean it with a metalbrush and clean the + - of the battery, sometime a poor connector is the problem!

I think the battery is the source of the probleme? How old is your battery?
After a charge, if the battery have 12,2-12,3 volt and less, it's time to get a new one!
good luck

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
u said u charged the battery and it still won't turn over... how do u know the battery was accepting the charge? what was the voltage reading at the battery after u charged it?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts